Black Spirituality Religion : Who or What is the Comforter according to scripture?

I Corinthians:

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Three important points which may lead to understanding on who/what the Comforter is:

1. The bible is neither inerrant, nor is it the Word Of God. Depending on it solely to understand the _real_ Word Of God will only confuse you.
  2. Which is a good segue to this second point, which is that Christianity has misunderstood, and mistaught, much of what is the true Word Of God. Trying to make sense out of what Christians _believe_ about baptism, the Holy Spirit, the crucifixion, and the concept of being saved [et al, being born again] will only confuse those of us who value reason over emotion.
  3. The only Way in which you can understand why it seems some biblical verses talk about one Comforter, while other verses talk about another Comforter, is to, first, grasp the true meaning on what being _ONE_ with all that is means. There are no individuals, there is only the One. The Christian doctrine of the Holy Trinity is only part of the One Original Truth. It is not just that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost [aka the Comforter] are one. It is that you and I are One with them as well. Not only that, and this will really confuse you, this means that even Satan [without getting into who/what Satan is just yet] is One with the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost, you, and I. But, mankind has been so misdirected by how Christianity has so dorked up what Jesus was really saying in the Upper Room during the Last Supper that you, first, have to pour out everything Christians have been preaching from your cup to make room for the Original Truth.
Consider this. I once knew a guy, a homeless guy, who was not all together there in the head. Among other confusing habits, he would sometimes refer to himself by his own name, as if he was talking about somebody else. Hence, he might say John's leg is bothering him when, in fact, he himself was John.

Now, I am not suggesting Jesus was not altogether there in the head. But, there is some similiarity here with when Jesus seemed to speak of the Comforter at various times in what writers call different narrative points of view [1st person, 2nd person, 3rd person].

I occasionally do the same thing, when talking to myself about myself. I may say Istlota is this or that when I am talking about myself. It sounds a bit schizoid but it is one Way to work at breaking through the Illusion of Individuality we are programmed to believe in from birth.

peace

- continuation from the "bible verses and slavery" thread....

who really is "the comforter"?

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

- this right here is speaking about more than 1 comforter, so how do you determine which comforter is the one to show you all things..?

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

- here "the comforter" is called the Holy Ghost, then called a HE about 8 words later. I know what most christians will say and that is that the Holy Ghost is a man, but that's not true according to your Trinity...

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

- Here "the comforter" - is called the SPIRIT OF TRUTH....and Jesus is saying HE will send "the comforter" when just above in John 14:16 he says he will pray to the father and the father (god) shall give you ANOTHER COMFORTER......now this is a very important contradiction here!

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

- (side note) Here the biblical Jesus is admitting that he is not "the one"...... - sorry, i was watching the matrix for the hundreth time the other night...

I'll stop right here and see where we are......

All are welcome - please share your thoughts

No, "contradiction" at all.

John 16:

[7] Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
[8] And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
[9] Of sin, because they believe not on me;
[10] Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
[11] Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
[12] I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
[14] He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

who really is "the comforter"?

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

- this right here is speaking about more than 1 comforter, so how do you determine which comforter is the one to show you all things..?

No, there is only ONE "Comforter" which is the Holy Spirit/the Spirit of Truth/Witness to Yeshua send BY HIM and FOR HIM.

...THE HOLY SPIRIT AS OUR COUNSELOR
The Lord Jesus identified the Holy Spirit as a counselor, an encourager, a comforter, and an exhorter at least four times in the Scripture. Jesus Christ is also identified prophetically in Isaiah 9:6 as "Wonderful Counselor." He was an effective counselor because of the enabling power of the Holy Spirit. He learned Bible Truth in His humanity just as we do - through the power of the Holy Spirit. He applied Bible truth to every situation just as we should - through the enabling power of the Holy Spirit. He set the pattern for all to follow.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
...​
The phrase "Spirit of truth" in John 14:16 means the spirit of doctrine or divine truth. God the Holy Spirit enables us to understand the teachings of the Word. Apart from the filling of the Spirit, there is no objective comprehension of the Word of God. Divine truth enters your human spirit as a believer because you are filled with the Holy Spirit.
..All spiritual activity is done through the power of the Holy Spirit only while you are filled with the Spirit. He is "The Spirit of doctrine and the Spirit of truth." The Holy Spirit is the basis for divine revelation, inspiration of Scripture, and illumination....

http://www.egracebiblechurch.org/encouragement_holy_spirit_as_comforter.htm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back