Violaters / Violations : What Is Holding Up The Destee Community Justice System (Council)?

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Reaction score
Aww hell naw! I come from bein' an observer to the council's first vic? lol

It has to start sum where....:rofl:

Juus think...we get to work out all da bug on you...:rofl:

Peace!

houserunner

Reaction score
It has to start sum where....:rofl:

Juus think...we get to work out all da bug on you...:rofl:

Peace!
I'll just hold myself in historical regard in Destee.com history then. lol

NNQueen

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Reaction score
Sister Destee has always had the power to ban members and she typically will when she finds them to be in violation of any of the rules.

So beyond making the claim, how could MisInterpret or others who thought so, have made a case to support the claim and specifically citing the rule they believe was being violated?

Anyone that sits in a seat to judge whether violations have occurred would need to have 'proof' before rendering a decision, don't you think?

Then there would be a need to interpret the rules to determine whether one (or more) have been violated or not. I believe that will be the point of contention because the claimant may not always agree with the Council's interpretation, as some aren't already with Destee's. For that matter, Destee may not agree with the Council and she will always have the final say.

I'm not sure because I haven't checked, but I don't believe we have rules against stalking, harassing or cyber-bullying, do we? MisInterpret aside, what will a Council do if another member makes a similar claim, and provides proof to the Council? Are there other factors that a Council would want to consider before reaching a decision on the claim?

butterfly#1

Reaction score
Where is Bro. Skuderjaymes? The council was his suggestion. What happens if his return is not timely.
Maybe the way our.moderators(s) handling things is ok. We just need to be more helpful as individuals. We could just make the moderators aware when we see a potential problem. Just thinking out loud. This has me really upset.
let me re-state. I know our moderators are doing a great job. And I support them and this community in any and all decisions made.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Reaction score
One recommendation above is banning. We don't know who would be on the Council, yet we know there is constant harassment on this site. For what it's worth, Destee is very slow at banning. However, victims of harassment may not be as slow. And with each banning, the forum loses something.

So it's a matter of what is the images we have of the Council?

I think each of us may have a different image on a different day. We should really think about it then present it, compare, debate, then create a Council. But first we must think on what our images are. I think our Council needs to be able to address what happened with Ms-Interpret's harassment; i.e. we can imagine hers as a missed case-study.

Really, I don't see how things could have played out differently. Whereas jamesfrmphilly was calling for The-God to be banned, I don't think I'd have done the same. But then what? Ms-Interpret curses at me, assuming I'm on the council, then Destee intervenes and Destee herself is cursed at and Ms-Interpret is banned nonetheless?

Or are we, to avoid being cursed at, to ban The-God, even though all I've seen of him is he'd write something in the chatbox about Ms-Interpret, which while uninvited was sporadic and ignorable?

We are mixing things a bit, at this point. The Council hasn't been formed, its waiting on input from the person that submitted the idea. The information from the thread I posted is general and user focused. The Web Host, Sister Destee was about to take action as the information suggestion, it all blew up.

The Council is not the final decision maker nor can it usurp the power of the Site Owner, its creation is being allowed along the lines of inclusion inside the disciplinary process of the Site. I really wish you would go back and catch up from the Thread that has been generated.

Asomfwaa

Reaction score
No, we are the group, from what i understand.
We as in err body? That seems less like a Council and more like another discussion. But that's your image. Does everyone agree that everyone should be on the Council?

How are things ironed out? Written out? What if, say, five new people come in, make an agreement to disrupt the peacemaking, how are they less legitimate if the Council is open membership? Are there deadlines with resolution? This is partly why I asked that we use Ms-Interpret's incident as a case study. I don't think anyone could have responded so quickly. James wrote a thread, and a day after Ms-Interpret was banned; The-God hadn't typed but one thing in the interim!

I really don't know. I imagine it should be our own room, void of outside interruption.
So an open room on conflict resolution? I like the idea. But if everyone has an equal voice, then what? I can suggest, for instance, that one side makes an appeal and another side makes an appeal, then a conversation from other parties ensues and makes a decision. That seems good. But what do others think? Also my problem with this idea is The-God was unresponsive this whole time (far as I saw.)

We can apply a deadline. Though as said above, it was only a day until Mis-Interpret was banned.

Still, I like the idea (though other input is necessary) of a thread where, like a courtroom, both sides make opening statements, lol, nominate their witnesses, witnesses look at evidence, maybe cross-examined by selected "Lawyers" and closing statements are sent to Destee if the Lawyers (who are not the disputers) agree?

Lol . . . I got carried away with my imagination. :)

No, that is not being fair, or consistent. Also, we would be opening a can of worms.
Precisely. There'd be so many bannings.

My image is a body of members, that will actively work together to rectify board issues, such as the one that we just went through. All in involved will have they say, and based on that we suggest a course of action, and consequences if the behavior continues.
From the particular case study--that is if people actually want to use Ms-Interpret's case as a case study--I saw The-God flirting with Ms-Interpret and her rejecting it. I never saw a thread he wrote in since I returned. But she says he types in her threads and disputes what she writes. She then curses him on the shoutbox. I didn't see anything he wrote besides an occasional request for her email. He never wrote on the harassment . . ..

If we just asked for the sides, and only she responded, we'd end up punishing The-God without even knowing if he's aware that he's really harassing.

Is there a way around this? Do you recommend a deadline?

If it does, we will pass it along to sista Destee with our recommendation and why. then she will have the final say.
I see. Is your vision less "We handle it" and more "We suggest to Destee how to handle it?" Asking. So we all are on the same page. What do others think? Do we want to "handle it" or just "suggest how to handle it?"

I know, share, and understand your if you don't find solace in my post. I know it's vague, and unclear for the most part, I'm just coming on board myself. So bare with us, all that is invovled is going to have to put our heads together.

Peace!
King, I respect you. Without the first clap there is no ovation. :)

I'm glad that you're taking the serious initiative to make an excellent project work.

I for one proposed a more mock trial council. What do you think? Kind of Western? Kind of extreme? What's good? What's bad?

I'm kind of partial to the idea that people don't defend themselves but through less biased lens.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Reaction score
Sister Destee has always had the power to ban members and she typically will when she finds them to be in violation of any of the rules.

So beyond making the claim, how could MisInterpret or others who thought so, have made a case to support the claim and specifically citing the rule they believe was being violated?

Anyone that sits in a seat to judge whether violations have occurred would need to have 'proof' before rendering a decision, don't you think?

Then there would be a need to interpret the rules to determine whether one (or more) have been violated or not. I believe that will be the point of contention because the claimant may not always agree with the Council's interpretation, as some aren't already with Destee's. For that matter, Destee may not agree with the Council and she will always have the final say.

I'm not sure because I haven't checked, but I don't believe we have rules against stalking, harassing or cyber-bullying, do we? MisInterpret aside, what will a Council do if another member makes a similar claim, and provides proof to the Council? Are there other factors that a Council would want to consider before reaching a decision on the claim?
In this case it would have been easy.

Go back and check why the member who she accused of harassment was suspended in January.

Then look at their posts since then involving the grounds by which he was suspended, basically name calling, and cite each possible violation.

For example, if one of the reasons the member was previously suspended was for name calling, it it an additional violation for calling an ancestor who is revered by many of us a sellout, or a former moderator a negroe, and another former moderator and Elder an "Old Man".

These are just three out of dozens if not hundreds since his suspension in January.

Asomfwaa

Reaction score
Asomfwaa would be better served if directed to the initial Thread and asked to catch himself up. Nothing has been determined except for volunteers, which will grapple with the ideas of bro. skuderjaymes, bro. Enki. In fact, bro. Asomfwaa should be asked to draw up some proposals and should be asked if he wishes to join the group. Everything is on the ground floor.
I read the initial thread. Though if memory serves, Destee proposed the idea after a comment on the moderation was made.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Reaction score

Here's the best suggested process NNQueen, it just didn't get a chance to play out. I don't see the ad hoc Council having the responsibility to resolve such a serious matter. Unless skuderjaymes has something figured out:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/what-is-holding-up-the-destee-community-justice-system-council.76873/page-2#post-813592