Black Education / Schools : What educator did you or do you look up to and why?

Oooh....good topic!

Well, I kinda count all my Black teachers who came up in segregation and struggled for an education themselves (secondary and college) to go on and teach others, sharing their time and energy, in and out of the classroom, and even their own money to help a Black child.

In particular:

my h.s. basketball coach

my elementary social studies teacher, Mrs. Wilson (may she rest in peace)...She attended Bethune-Cookman College when Dr. Mary McCleod Bethune was still alive and President there....I loved her stories about Dr. Bethune and college life and her as a teacher.....I was so thrilled to actually know somebody who actually knew Dr. Bethune! lol

my piano teacher

and so many others.....

"I was so thrilled to actually know somebody who actually knew Dr. Bethune!"

Awesome!

Uh oh!--Sister cherryblossom was a Basketball player! Were you any good?

:bball:

"I was so thrilled to actually know somebody who actually knew Dr. Bethune!"

Awesome!

Uh oh!--Sister cherryblossom was a Basketball player! Were you any good?

:bball:

Thank you, Sister CD.

And lol....Well, just put me on the spot, why dontcha, Sister Chevron! lol

And, yes, I was some good...still aint bad now...just aint doin' no full-court press, tho. :lol:

Rocco Caponigri
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=161911&page=2

He was great. Maybe I wasn't so objective back then because he was the first GOOD math teacher I ever had. My freshman year in high school over 30 years ago.

I can easily see how 30 years of teaching could wear someone down but back then he was really interested in the subject and made math fun and interesting every day. High school was so much better than grade school I was actually amazed.

um

My Math Hero

Growing up in AZ..I was always the only or one of few black kids in the classroom. In elementary school, I had a teacher named Mrs. Jackson, who was also black. I was struggling in math and she went above and beyond to make sure I got it. We stayed after school, met early, she worked out the problems with me, and regularly met with my mom and had discussions of my progress..she worked with me as if I was her own. I passed her class, and was able to embrace the logic behind the calculations more easily.

Mrs. Jackson's example sticked with me through adulthood, and now I have a passion when helping my kids understand..when I see them doing homework, I see me and Mrs. Jackson, so whether we stay up all night, or I'm working with them directly after work before I can take a rest...I make those sacrifices because I know it will impact their compassion for their children and others alike.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back