Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Learning,

Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

... Cassell, an award-winning researcher who is associate vice-provost for technology strategy and impact at Carnegie Mellon University, believes that educational technology can play a crucial role in helping black children learn academic content like science and math. In fact, Cassell’s research appears to show that black children can learn more math and science using technology if the computer instructs them while speaking in a black vernacular, also known as black English ...

... While many educators—black and white—still rebel against the idea of any semblance of black English being used in an educational setting, Cassell, who is white, thinks the issue of language and dialect is so important and so crucial to learning that she refuses to back down.

Justine-Cassell_cropped-681x0-c-default.jpg

Justine Cassell

http://hechingerreport.org/can-blac...ildren-learn-better-one-educator-believes-so/

This video shows how inflection of words are articulated and used in the Black community. Yes many speak in this manner.

It is from our Tragic History of American Slavery! Southern Ancestors, learning to Speak English and not being able to attend school. Did their best to articulate in the language of their Oppressor. This broken English is something we should be proud of and something we can work on.
Both EBONICS and ENGLISH poetry forms he wrote are respected and read all over the world.

Two of my favorites and that were read to me as a child.

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)
We Wear the Mask

WE wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!
The poem is about us and how despite all of slavery's sorry and pain. As African Americans we still found JOY in Living and in EACH Other.

The next poem in text and read by Gabrielle, just as I had it read to me. In proper form and all its EBONICS Splendor.

She won the Speech Category at a Fine Arts Festival!

1st Place - Speech Category - Fine Arts Festival - MACS 2013

This is the POEM Gabrielle is reading to the Audience. as it is written in BEAUTIFUL EBONICS.
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/192/lyrics-of-love-and-laughter/4044/in-the-morning/

‘Lias! ‘Lias! Bless de Lawd!
Don’ you know de day’s erbroad?
Ef you don’ git up, you scamp,
Dey ‘ll be trouble in dis camp.
T’ink I gwine to let you sleep
W’ile I meks yo’ boa’d an’ keep?
Dat’s a putty howdy–do—
Don’ you hyeah me, ‘Lias—you?

Bet ef I come crost dis flo’
You won’ fin’ no time to sno’.
Daylight all a–shinin’ in
Wile you sleep—w’y hit’s a sin!
Ain’t de can’le–light enough
To bu’n out widout a snuff,
But you go de mo’nin’ thoo
Bu’nin’ up de daylight too?

‘Lias, don’ you hyeah me call?
No use tu’nin’ to’ds de wall;
I kin hyeah dat mattuss squeak;
Don’ you hyeah me w’en I speak?
Dis hyeah clock done struck off six—
Ca’line, bring me dem ah sticks!
Oh, you down, suh; huh, you down—
Look hyeah, don’ you daih to frown.

Ma’ch yo’se’f an’ wash yo’ face,
Don’ you splattah all de place;
I got somep’n else to do,
‘Sides jes’ cleanin’ aftah you.
Tek dat comb ah’ fix yo’ haid—
Looks jes’ lak a feddah baid.
Look hyeah, boy, I let you see
You sha’ n’t roll yo’ eyes at me.

Come hyeah; bring me dat ah strap!
Boy, I’ll whup you ‘twell you drap;
You done felt yo’se’f too strong,
An’ you sholy got me wrong.
Set down at dat table thaih;
Jes’ you whimpah ef you daih!
Evah mo’nin’ on dis place,
Seem lak I mus’ lose my grace.

Fol’ yo’ han’s an’ bow yo’ haid—
Wait ontwell de blessin’ ’s said;
“Lawd, have mussy on ouah souls—”
(Don’ you daih to tech dem rolls—)
“Bless de food we gwine to eat—”
(You set still–I see yo’ feet;
You jes’ try dat trick agin!)
“Gin us peace an’ joy. Amen!”

POET Paul Lawrence Dunbar.. my HERO.
paul-laurence-dunbar.jpg

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/paul-laurence-dunbar
More recently Dunbar's stature has increased markedly. He is once again regarded as America's first great black poet, and his standard English poems are now, perhaps surprisingly, prized as his greatest achievements in verse.
His poetry was what I was read and grew up listening to as a child.
He Writes in Proper English and Ebonics.
Paul Laurence Dunbar (June 27, 1872 – February 9, 1906) was an American poet, novelist, and playwright of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Nearly 100 years after Paul Laurence Dunbar’s death in 1906, one of the first African Americans to gain prominence as a poet is reaching a new, large and appreciative audience via the Internet. The poems are read by Herbert Woodward Martin, professor emeritus of English.
I have one of his published works that he wrote over 100 years ago.

Changing how we speak will not STOP the Racist demeanor of Imbedded RACISM. One reason this idea SHOULD BE REJECTED.
To ACCEPT it then the DEMAND IS (EDUCATION ) REPARATIONS.

It was important to better negotiate and to be able to speak enough English to share thoughts. Of course Southerner, and the American Government Supported and Sanctioned Racist thought and still think the whole thing was funny.

To come along now and say there is a problem!
This would Mean by recognizing the issue these same American People ( American Descendants of our Ancestors Oppressors ) have justified One of my MAIN arguments and reasons for REPARATIONS.

I have always thought reparations should be for EDUCATION.
From Kindergarten thru College for any African American Born in the United States regardless of age.
So if someone Sixty wanted to attend College they too are accepted. These Reparations of FREE EDUCATION must last for a minimum of FORTY Years, giving TWO Generation's an opportunity to better themselves and their chances of obtaining decent employment is improved.
====================
Fox News and Black English - Ebonics

\

===========================
Ms. Morello

This video shows how inflection of words are articulated and used in the Black community. Yes many speak in this manner.

It is from our Tragic History of American Slavery! Southern Ancestors, learning to Speak English and not being able to attend school. Did their best to articulate in the language of their Oppressor. This broken English is something we should be proud of and something we can work on.
Both EBONICS and ENGLISH poetry forms he wrote are respected and read all over the world.

Two of my favorites and that were read to me as a child.

The poem is about us and how despite all of slavery's sorry and pain. As African Americans we still found JOY in Living and in EACH Other.

The next poem in text and read by Gabrielle, just as I had it read to me. In proper form and all its EBONICS Splendor.

She won the Speech Category at a Fine Arts Festival!

1st Place - Speech Category - Fine Arts Festival - MACS 2013

This is the POEM Gabrielle is reading to the Audience. as it is written in BEAUTIFUL EBONICS.
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/192/lyrics-of-love-and-laughter/4044/in-the-morning/

POET Paul Lawrence Dunbar.. my HERO.
paul-laurence-dunbar.jpg

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/paul-laurence-dunbar

His poetry was what I was read and grew up listening to as a child.

I have one of his published works that he wrote over 100 years ago.

Changing how we speak will not STOP the Racist demeanor of Imbedded RACISM. One reason this idea SHOULD BE REJECTED.
To ACCEPT it then the DEMAND IS (EDUCATION ) REPARATIONS.

It was important to better negotiate and to be able to speak enough English to share thoughts. Of course Southerner, and the American Government Supported and Sanctioned Racist thought and still think the whole thing was funny.

To come along now and say there is a problem!
This would Mean by recognizing the issue these same American People ( American Descendants of our Ancestors Oppressors ) have justified One of my MAIN arguments and reasons for REPARATIONS.

I have always thought reparations should be for EDUCATION.
From Kindergarten thru College for any African American Born in the United States regardless of age.
So if someone Sixty wanted to attend College they too are accepted. These Reparations of FREE EDUCATION must last for a minimum of FORTY Years, giving TWO Generation's an opportunity to better themselves and their chances of obtaining decent employment is improved.
====================
Fox News and Black English - Ebonics

\

===========================
Ms. Morello

Exactly bro. HODEE, on point. After site maintenance, I plan on digging up a discussion on Ebonics that ties in well also.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Kids are bound to learn better in their own language. My only disagreement with anything was in regard to this sentence:

The term 'Proper English' just doesn't sit right with me. It makes it sound as though the two languages, or better, the two varieties of English aren't of equal worth. I'm not saying that was the intention at all but it gave me one of my 'poked with a pencil moments' I get sometimes when reading stuff.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back