Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Learning,

Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

... Cassell, an award-winning researcher who is associate vice-provost for technology strategy and impact at Carnegie Mellon University, believes that educational technology can play a crucial role in helping black children learn academic content like science and math. In fact, Cassell’s research appears to show that black children can learn more math and science using technology if the computer instructs them while speaking in a black vernacular, also known as black English ...

... While many educators—black and white—still rebel against the idea of any semblance of black English being used in an educational setting, Cassell, who is white, thinks the issue of language and dialect is so important and so crucial to learning that she refuses to back down.

[​IMG]

Justine Cassell

http://hechingerreport.org/can-blac...ildren-learn-better-one-educator-believes-so/

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    This video shows how inflection of words are articulated and used in the Black community. Yes many speak in this manner.

It is from our Tragic History of American Slavery! Southern Ancestors, learning to Speak English and not being able to attend school. Did their best to articulate in the language of their Oppressor. This broken English is something we should be proud of and something we can work on.
    Both EBONICS and ENGLISH poetry forms he wrote are respected and read all over the world.

Two of my favorites and that were read to me as a child.

The poem is about us and how despite all of slavery's sorry and pain. As African Americans we still found JOY in Living and in EACH Other.

The next poem in text and read by Gabrielle, just as I had it read to me. In proper form and all its EBONICS Splendor.

She won the Speech Category at a Fine Arts Festival!

1st Place - Speech Category - Fine Arts Festival - MACS 2013
    This is the POEM Gabrielle is reading to the Audience. as it is written in BEAUTIFUL EBONICS.
    http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/192/lyrics-of-love-and-laughter/4044/in-the-morning/

POET Paul Lawrence Dunbar.. my HERO.
    [​IMG]

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/paul-laurence-dunbar

His poetry was what I was read and grew up listening to as a child.
    He Writes in Proper English and Ebonics.

I have one of his published works that he wrote over 100 years ago.

Changing how we speak will not STOP the Racist demeanor of Imbedded RACISM. One reason this idea SHOULD BE REJECTED.
    To ACCEPT it then the DEMAND IS (EDUCATION ) REPARATIONS.

It was important to better negotiate and to be able to speak enough English to share thoughts. Of course Southerner, and the American Government Supported and Sanctioned Racist thought and still think the whole thing was funny.

To come along now and say there is a problem!
    This would Mean by recognizing the issue these same American People ( American Descendants of our Ancestors Oppressors ) have justified One of my MAIN arguments and reasons for REPARATIONS.

I have always thought reparations should be for EDUCATION.
    From Kindergarten thru College for any African American Born in the United States regardless of age.
    So if someone Sixty wanted to attend College they too are accepted. These Reparations of FREE EDUCATION must last for a minimum of FORTY Years, giving TWO Generation's an opportunity to better themselves and their chances of obtaining decent employment is improved.
    ====================
    Fox News and Black English - Ebonics

\

===========================
    Ms. Morello

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Exactly bro. HODEE, on point. After site maintenance, I plan on digging up a discussion on Ebonics that ties in well also.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. MissH

MissH Member MEMBER

France
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Kids are bound to learn better in their own language. My only disagreement with anything was in regard to this sentence:

He Writes in Proper English and Ebonics.

The term 'Proper English' just doesn't sit right with me. It makes it sound as though the two languages, or better, the two varieties of English aren't of equal worth. I'm not saying that was the intention at all but it gave me one of my 'poked with a pencil moments' I get sometimes when reading stuff.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Yes, there is implicit bias within the words you cite, which results from the standard allowing the expression of literary freedoms. Often, we lose cite of the fact that writers convey their thoughts to a target market, and that market excludes, for the most part, the African American community.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Thanks oldsoul, I thought about that class when I found the article.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Keep on Keeping on!

9. Black Phoenix

Black Phoenix Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    Ebonics? Seriously???? If adult people from Mongolia can learn American English as a second language Black kids can learn it from birth. Nigerians, Chinese and others that are excelling academically are not getting linguistic concessions, why should we? This BS says that AAs are incapable of doing what others can.

No HR person will be speaking Ebonics during interviews...but more than likely they will know Spanish and possibly Mandarin.

Ebonics = would you like to supersize that?

We need to work on making sure that Black kids in lower socio economic school districts have accredited school programs which many in Ferguson do not.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/hi...-for-racial-equality/55c4e354fe3444429b000278

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Hermetic

Hermetic going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +235
    I wholeheartedly agree with Black Phoenix. Poor schools and low expectations are the problems we need to focus on fixing. Ebonics is not a solution.