Black Parenting : Were You Raised In a Single or Two Parent Home?

Were You Raised in a Single or Two Parent Home?

• Raised by a Single Mother (primary caregiver)

Votes: 38 31.9%
  • Raised by a Single Father (primary caregiver)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Raised by Both Parents (both parents in the home)

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other (raised by relatives, foster, adoptive, etc.)

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
I grew up watching my mother scarifice herself for the sake of me. My parents divorced when I was four, plus I am the only child. This was hard for me, because moms was always out working making ends meet while daddy was off living and having a wonderful single life. But there were times when guilt would settle in then he would come around with lots of gifts...go figure. I love him though, I love both of my parents. Being a parent now has opened my eyes to know that being a parent is hard, when you are doing it together with the other parent or by yourself. Looking through young eyes you don't quite understand why your parents act the way they do. Then when you get older you soon start to hear yourself say...hey I sound like my mother/father and try to snap out of it. Well I know I do!

I was adopted by a wonderful extensive family who believed in it takes a village so they all put a part of themselves into my upbring. I grew up in a two parent household where love abided even when it sometimes wore its working clothes and looked like my parents were crazy.

Thankfully I was raised by both parents. As much respect and love that I have for my mother, I think that had my father not been around during those teenage years I may have made some bad decisions.

Shout out to fathers everywhere who play roles in their childrens lives. Dads may never get the recognition mothers get but your presence, I believe, is the greatest determining factor in the future of the black race.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back