Black Parenting : When did you tell your child(ren) you were pregnant?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Inanna, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Inanna

Inanna Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
    So, I have a six year old son and Im expecting (probably another boy), due in August.

At first I was excited to tell him, for a few reasons, 1. He's been begging us for a sibling since he could talk 2. He specifically requested his future sibling have a birthday near his (he was he was born a week overdue Sep. 16th, I'm due August 30th) 3. Being an only child and spoiled isn't worth it cause you have no one to share it with, he's WELL aware of this 4. The idea of the responsibility makes him feel (more) special, he can't wait to be an older brother

All that said, I'm 10 weeks pregnant this Sunday, so I'm still 2 weeks away from the miscarriage zone, and we won't even know the baby's gender for sure until March or April or when he's born, also I'm not showing yet, so I feel like its early. My mom still doesn't know, we haven't really told anyone yet (aside from this post).

..Mostly, I'm nervous he might ask me "how did you get pregnant?". I'm not prepared to talk birds and bees with my 6 year old, not because he couldn't handle it, he could, I just haven't found the right words for it yet. My mom gave me the rundown at 8 and I just was so disappointed in that explanation lol she's a nurse so it was really medically correct... So I'm conflicted. Chances are he won't ask right? But what if he does, I feel like its a trap!

Did anyone tell their kids and get weird questions or shocking reactions? Were they happy, shocked, confused? Any sex questions?

Just FYI, I'm an only child, so I've never been approached by my parents with the news of an impending sibling. I don't know what to expect really. Anything helps, thanks :)

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

I told my son I was pregnant while he was still in the womb and that my due date was his physical born day.

Wisdom knowledge. ...

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    give me yr number......i'll call him up and tell him:11100:

4. Inanna

Inanna Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +124
    Lol, so boring! I told him via a "big brother" t-shirt he's been wearing every other day since he got it. He "cried tears of joy" and told me to be careful with myself and hed be careful with me cause im carrying his brother or sister. Im just glad they were happy tears and hes excited and not all mopey or unaffected about it. Babies are exciting!!.. should be anyway :)