Black People : SLAVERY: WHY SHOULD WE FORGET ABOUT IT?

Hello everyone,
I am new here and this post caught my attention, and I have a couple of things to add if you don't mind. I have never forgot about slavery and the affect it has had on our people, but one question I have always wanted an answer to and have never gotten an answer to is; Why did slavery last for 250 years and jim crow & segregation last another 100 years?

The second thing I have is; how many ways can a slave gain his or hers freedom.

Escape
Buy your freedom
The slaveholder grants your freedom
Revolt, fight for your freedom

I can relate...

" WHEN ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO GET OVER IT ?....I AM SO TIRED OF YOU PEOPLE USING SLAVERY AS AN EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING... "

HMMM......A WHITE MAN SAID THAT TO ME IN AUGUST OF 1988 .....I WAS PROCESSING OUT OF THE AIR FORCE AT THE TIME.....AND THE BROTHER WHO WAS DOING MY PAPERWORK HAD JUST BEEN ORDERED TO DO SOME MORE PAPERWORK ON TOP OF MINE , AND THERE WERE THREE OTHER WHITE BOYS SITTING AT THEIR DESKS........DOING NOTHING...

WARRIOR

I can really relate to this story and, I have one too, that I'd like to share:

Here’s my story regarding this very subject:

One day when I speaking with a girl I had met through the Foreign Language Department at a nearby university I had frequented, I was confronted with this same advice. This particular girl, young lady, had earlier told me that she was Jordanian but after a couple of weeks she felt safe enough to confide in me and so, she told me that she was really ‘a Palestinian’ and that she was not from Jordan. Well, it made no difference to me but, she informed me that it made a difference with White America. She felt comfortable enough to also shed some more light on her cultural experiences with coming to America. This young lady from Palestine was beige in complexion, with sandy brown hair, and she looked like a typical White American girl at first glance. She dressed western and had no head covering. She had told me that when she had finally gotten to America, she was completely shocked to see that there were Black people in America. In all of her life she was made to think that there was no Blacks at all in America. She eventually phoned me a few months later to tell me that a white woman, a doctor at the university told her not to converse with me or African Americans and so, she completely broke communications with me after that very phone call. However, she had already opened my eyes enough; . . . that white woman was wise but, she was too late!

After awhile, that confessed Palestinian girl made me realize that it was probably because of ‘a new thing going on’ with the government that she and other people in the world were being made ‘strategically’ aware of the Black presence in America, by and by. In my opinion, I think that the ‘OJay trials’ and the Oprah Winfrey shows going on at that time in the 90s were two events that may have been carefully ‘allowed’ to be the opener of eyes to the world to our significant presence here in America. I completely understood her dilemma with the shocking revelation of the Black presence in America because I was able to flip her conversations and look at her ‘ironic circumstances’ from other points-of-view.

It took a while for me to grasp the idea that the entire time I was learning about history in Europe and the rest of the world, the dominant presence of Blacks in Europe had never been apart of my education. I had to learn to put it all together myself by reading extra and looking at extra films. The same time we were going through civil rights movements, so did England and so did Australia and etc.! It was very difficult to grasp that the Black people in Europe and elsewhere also had civil rights movements and noteworthy blacks that well, we still don’t know about today! Anyway, this Palestinian girl told me that in her country of Palestine, she saw the movie Roots when it became aired in subtitles and, it was so popular and such a major film that mostly every Palestinian went to see it at the theatres. Nonetheless, she never put it altogether to realize that Blacks were indeed in America. She also said that before she came over here, she had to attend several preparatory seminars. In the seminars they are taught how to choose safe neighborhoods to live in, how to stay away from certain areas and communities, and how to avoid being mugged and what to do in case of being put in dangerous situations. She said they had films with models (actors and actresses) demonstrating how to hold your purse (bag) when walking down the street and how to act if mugged and etc. She said that all of the models were white people and so, when she finally got here, she was shocked to see that there were blacks. This Palestinian girl said that she never equated the movie Roots, nor the warning about dangerous neighborhoods with the presence of Black people in America until she came here. She said that she thought that . . . She ended her sentence abruptly. She never finished what she was going to say. I just look at her, . . . kind of dumbfounded myself. I later realized what she was made to think. Eventually and the more we met and after our academic sessions would end, she would initiate conversations and I slowly recognized that this Palestinian girl’s viewpoint began to form against Black America.

One day after our class, she abruptly asked me how I felt about the movie, ‘Gone with the Wind’ and before I could answer she told me that she had loved it. Well, I snapped and said that I detested it. After awhile, I began to observe her and realized that she was trying to incite me to fit her forming mindset about African Americans. I detected deception. At another time after class, she abruptly said one day, “Black people should forget about slavery. That is over. It happened a long time ago.”. Then I spoke. I called her name slowly and decided to ask her a couple of questions. I asked,

“You Palestinians are mostly Muslim, correct?”

She answered me, “Yes.” Then I asked,

“You all adhere to the Koran, yes? Then she said,

“Yes.” I continued,

“You observe your holiday events that have occurred thousands of years ago, White America too, celebrate EASTER and events that have happened thousands of years ago, and slavery in America has happened only hundreds of years ago, correct?”

And again, she said, “Yes.” Then I asked,

“the Koran begins with the first five Books of Moses, yes?” And, she said,

“Yes.” Then, I decided it was time to conclude on her. And so I said to her,

“ In the first five book of Moses, and after the Exodus, the Bible does not tell the descendants of Israel that slavery is now over and so forget about it. In fact, [I called her name], the Bible specifically says that God told the Children of Israel,

‘Don’t you ever forget your captivity and how the Egyptians treated you. And if you do, I shall surely curse you’. Then, I was quiet and I looked at her.

Well, she was seated the whole time until that point. Instantly upon my silence, she quickly stood up from the table where she was seated and grabbed her cigarette. She turned and walked between the table and where I was standing and hid behind a wall. I could only see her cigarette and her hand as she raised it, took a pull, and then lowered it. About a minute or two of quietness and after a puff of smoke came out, she finally said to me in a low voice,

“[she called my name], you are right.”.

I was quiet, forgiving, but still angry. As I stated previously, we communicated for few more months until she told me one day that a professor from the university, a British woman, told her to stop communicating with me and to stop giving me lessons on the Arab language and script form. I realized that it was because she was Palestinian that I was able to receive such an education on the ways of this world but, had she been truly Jordanian then probably, . . . I’ll stop here.

I can really relate to this story and, I have one too, that I'd like to share:

Here’s my story regarding this very subject:

One day when I speaking with a girl I had met through the Foreign Language Department at a nearby university I had frequented, I was confronted with this same advice. This particular girl, young lady, had earlier told me that she was Jordanian but after a couple of weeks she felt safe enough to confide in me and so, she told me that she was really ‘a Palestinian’ and that she was not from Jordan. Well, it made no difference to me but, she informed me that it made a difference with White America. She felt comfortable enough to also shed some more light on her cultural experiences with coming to America. This young lady from Palestine was beige in complexion, with sandy brown hair, and she looked like a typical White American girl at first glance. She dressed western and had no head covering. She had told me that when she had finally gotten to America, she was completely shocked to see that there were Black people in America. In all of her life she was made to think that there was no Blacks at all in America. She eventually phoned me a few months later to tell me that a white woman, a doctor at the university told her not to converse with me or African Americans and so, she completely broke communications with me after that very phone call. However, she had already opened my eyes enough; . . . that white woman was wise but, she was too late!

After awhile, that confessed Palestinian girl made me realize that it was probably because of ‘a new thing going on’ with the government that she and other people in the world were being made ‘strategically’ aware of the Black presence in America, by and by. In my opinion, I think that the ‘OJay trials’ and the Oprah Winfrey shows going on at that time in the 90s were two events that may have been carefully ‘allowed’ to be the opener of eyes to the world to our significant presence here in America. I completely understood her dilemma with the shocking revelation of the Black presence in America because I was able to flip her conversations and look at her ‘ironic circumstances’ from other points-of-view.

It took a while for me to grasp the idea that the entire time I was learning about history in Europe and the rest of the world, the dominant presence of Blacks in Europe had never been apart of my education. I had to learn to put it all together myself by reading extra and looking at extra films. The same time we were going through civil rights movements, so did England and so did Australia and etc.! It was very difficult to grasp that the Black people in Europe and elsewhere also had civil rights movements and noteworthy blacks that well, we still don’t know about today! Anyway, this Palestinian girl told me that in her country of Palestine, she saw the movie Roots when it became aired in subtitles and, it was so popular and such a major film that mostly every Palestinian went to see it at the theatres. Nonetheless, she never put it altogether to realize that Blacks were indeed in America. She also said that before she came over here, she had to attend several preparatory seminars. In the seminars they are taught how to choose safe neighborhoods to live in, how to stay away from certain areas and communities, and how to avoid being mugged and what to do in case of being put in dangerous situations. She said they had films with models (actors and actresses) demonstrating how to hold your purse (bag) when walking down the street and how to act if mugged and etc. She said that all of the models were white people and so, when she finally got here, she was shocked to see that there were blacks. This Palestinian girl said that she never equated the movie Roots, nor the warning about dangerous neighborhoods with the presence of Black people in America until she came here. She said that she thought that . . . She ended her sentence abruptly. She never finished what she was going to say. I just look at her, . . . kind of dumbfounded myself. I later realized what she was made to think. Eventually and the more we met and after our academic sessions would end, she would initiate conversations and I slowly recognized that this Palestinian girl’s viewpoint began to form against Black America.

One day after our class, she abruptly asked me how I felt about the movie, ‘Gone with the Wind’ and before I could answer she told me that she had loved it. Well, I snapped and said that I detested it. After awhile, I began to observe her and realized that she was trying to incite me to fit her forming mindset about African Americans. I detected deception. At another time after class, she abruptly said one day, “Black people should forget about slavery. That is over. It happened a long time ago.”. Then I spoke. I called her name slowly and decided to ask her a couple of questions. I asked,

“You Palestinians are mostly Muslim, correct?”

She answered me, “Yes.” Then I asked,

“You all adhere to the Koran, yes? Then she said,

“Yes.” I continued,

“You observe your holiday events that have occurred thousands of years ago, White America too, celebrate EASTER and events that have happened thousands of years ago, and slavery in America has happened only hundreds of years ago, correct?”

And again, she said, “Yes.” Then I asked,

“the Koran begins with the first five Books of Moses, yes?” And, she said,

“Yes.” Then, I decided it was time to conclude on her. And so I said to her,

“ In the first five book of Moses, and after the Exodus, the Bible does not tell the descendants of Israel that slavery is now over and so forget about it. In fact, [I called her name], the Bible specifically says that God told the Children of Israel,

‘Don’t you ever forget your captivity and how the Egyptians treated you. And if you do, I shall surely curse you’. Then, I was quiet and I looked at her.

Well, she was seated the whole time until that point. Instantly upon my silence, she quickly stood up from the table where she was seated and grabbed her cigarette. She turned and walked between the table and where I was standing and hid behind a wall. I could only see her cigarette and her hand as she raised it, took a pull, and then lowered it. About a minute or two of quietness and after a puff of smoke came out, she finally said to me in a low voice,

“[she called my name], you are right.”.

I was quiet, forgiving, but still angry. As I stated previously, we communicated for few more months until she told me one day that a professor from the university, a British woman, told her to stop communicating with me and to stop giving me lessons on the Arab language and script form. I realized that it was because she was Palestinian that I was able to receive such an education on the ways of this world but, had she been truly Jordanian then probably, . . . I’ll stop here.

I UNDERSTAND FULLY , AND I THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT SIS. CHEVRON DOVE....

I LEARNED LONG AGO THAT EVEN IF YOU FORCE A CERTAIN FOOD IN A CHILD'S MOUTH , AND THEY EAT IT , DOES NOT MEAN THEY LIKE THE FOOD...

SO , WHEN I HEAR BLACK PEOPLE TELL ME TO JUST GET OVER IT (slavery) , OR THEY SAY THEY ARE SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT SLAVERY , OR WHY CAN'T WE MOVE ON PAST ALL THIS SLAVERY TALK................I THINK ABOUT THAT CHILD....

I CONCLUDE MY THOUGHTS WITH THIS.......UNTIL THAT PERSON GAINS A SERIOUS INTEREST IN OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORY , THEY ARE JUST CHEWING & SWALLOWING......BECAUSE CIRCUMSTANCES FORCED THEM TO..........JUST LIKE THAT CHILD

SO THEREFORE , I DONT EVEN SPEAK ON THE IMPORTANCE , BECAUSE THEY ALREADY KNOW IT'S GOOD FOR THEM.......I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THEY CHOOSE IT......BUT I REMIND THEM THAT IT'S AVAILABLE......

WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE NOW.........TRUE BLACK HISTORY WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO BECOME POPULAR & PROFITABLE , BEFORE MORE BLACKS TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.......

THANKS AGAIN SISTER CHEVRON DOVE...

WARRIOR

I UNDERSTAND FULLY , AND I THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT SIS. CHEVRON DOVE....

I LEARNED LONG AGO THAT EVEN IF YOU FORCE A CERTAIN FOOD IN A CHILD'S MOUTH , AND THEY EAT IT , DOES NOT MEAN THEY LIKE THE FOOD...

SO , WHEN I HEAR BLACK PEOPLE TELL ME TO JUST GET OVER IT (slavery) , OR THEY SAY THEY ARE SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT SLAVERY , OR WHY CAN'T WE MOVE ON PAST ALL THIS SLAVERY TALK................I THINK ABOUT THAT CHILD....

I CONCLUDE MY THOUGHTS WITH THIS.......UNTIL THAT PERSON GAINS A SERIOUS INTEREST IN OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORY , THEY ARE JUST CHEWING & SWALLOWING......BECAUSE CIRCUMSTANCES FORCED THEM TO..........JUST LIKE THAT CHILD

SO THEREFORE , I DONT EVEN SPEAK ON THE IMPORTANCE , BECAUSE THEY ALREADY KNOW IT'S GOOD FOR THEM.......I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THEY CHOOSE IT......BUT I REMIND THEM THAT IT'S AVAILABLE......

WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE NOW.........TRUE BLACK HISTORY WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO BECOME POPULAR & PROFITABLE , BEFORE MORE BLACKS TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.......

THANKS AGAIN SISTER CHEVRON DOVE...

WARRIOR

I do believe this is truth. TRUE Black History will probably have to become attractive, so-to-speak, before more Black people take it seriously. But then, I also believe [strongly] that it will be way to late for most of them to benefit from it.

Thanks again Bro. Warrior

How We Got From There To Here?

Post-traumatic slavery syndrome
African-Americans are killing themselves at an unprecedented rate. In "Lay My Burden Down" Alvin Poussaint and Amy Alexander try to explain why.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Erin Aubry-Kaplan

Oct. 24, 2000 | The new millennium may still be on the horizon, but at least one truism can already be ascribed to our new New Age: It's a damned confusing time to be black. Ask anybody -- a single mom who is both vilified for her poverty and valorized for her strength, an invisible and uneasy member of the middle class (me), the increasingly hapless Puff Daddy, with his big diamonds and even bigger scowls, the enormously successful but racially repressed Tiger Woods.

Never before in history have blacks loomed so large in the public imagination and popular culture yet been granted so little space as real people. And, by no accident, never before have they experienced higher rates of depression, homicide and suicide: Black youth in particular have watched their suicide rates explode at millennium's close, increasing 114 percent in the past 20 years.

What gives? More to the point, why isn't anybody asking what gives? If we are truly the nurturing, pro-young-people nation we claim to be, why aren't our political leaders sitting up nights wondering why black men between the ages of 20 and 24 are now killing themselves at 10 times the rate of their female counterparts?

In their new book, "Lay My Burden Down: Unraveling Suicide and the Mental Health Crisis Among African-Americans," veteran psychiatrist Alvin Poussaint and journalist Amy Alexander give us the painfully obvious answer to those questions: lingering racism that translates into a general political disinterest in the fortunes of black folk (except as they relate to crime and other issues that might infringe on the white population's hermetic sense of social security).

But Poussaint and Alexander are more interested in dissecting the complicated dynamics that underlie not just the current Negro problem but the current Negro success. The bedeviling paradox of the past several decades is that as the black middle class has exploded, so has the suicide rate (to say nothing of the homicide rate) among young black men and teens across the economic spectrum. The reluctance to examine -- or even acknowledge -- the connection between our rising prosperity and declining mental health cuts across color lines.

Poussaint and Alexander break the taboo and speak out, albeit carefully, about the possible causes of the current mental health crisis. They theorize that, among other things, the much-publicized split between the black poor and the black middle and upper class in the last generation has engendered a collective, free-floating anxiety and dispiritedness in the black community that are wearing down everybody's well-being.

The spiraling suicide rates, especially among the young, sound a warning bell we have not heard before: Blacks have historically experienced very low suicide rates, despite having endured years of far more blatant discrimination than they endure now. But the self-reliance that has long been the core of black culture and survival -- think blues, black power, gangsta rap -- may now be blacks' undoing.

The psychological effects of what Poussaint and Alexander call "post-traumatic slavery syndrome" that blacks have managed to hold at bay for so long may finally be catching up to us in 2000, 135 years after slavery's end. Add to this a potent legacy of dehumanization, including diehard stereotypes about blacks as "cool," intellectually lacking and emotionally uncomplicated creatures -- expressed today in UPN sitcoms and BET videos -- and mental breakdown seems all but inevitable.

"Undoubtedly, great strength allowed black people to survive slavery and discrimination, but the notion that black men and women can easily handle burdens that would psychologically crush other people has been oversold," the authors write. "The emotional price that they have paid in enduring incredible stresses has been too often dismissed or ignored, and this has hindered the development of mental health services for the black community."

If all this sounds a bit dry and removed, it is at points, but there's no mistaking the passion behind Poussaint and Alexander's quest for a kind of equity that has always been most critical to blacks but has always been hardest to attain: psychological equity.

"Burden" points out that shamefully little research has been done on cause and effect between the state of black mental health and the numerous historical, economic and psychosocial factors that have shaped and continue to shape the black psyche. It is a psyche partly fashioned from neglect, including neglect from a white medical establishment that long viewed blacks as unsentient beings who hardly deserved psychiatric consideration.

As a black woman thrashing with the new class divide and an intermittent but chronic depression that feels as old as rivers, I found the book a relief, an assured voice in a wilderness of purpose and identity I felt I was essentially wandering alone. But the question -- the eternal question -- is whether the issues raised by "Burden" will only circulate among African-Americans. If they do, the problems detailed in the book will compound: Blacks will once again feel the pinch of isolation and most of America will miss the point. At its measured heart the book is asking that we all care, not in order to be altruistic or democratic but to be practical -- black self-regard ultimately and intimately affects everybody else's.

While we all contemplate taking such a big step, here are a few points in "Burden" to tack onto our refrigerators: With middle-class success has come the loss of a segregation-era "social equilibrium" in which everyone in the black community was on the same emotional and expectational plane and thus harbored more collective hope about the future. For cultural and religious reasons, blacks have been historically reluctant to admit to depression and the other d-word, despair, though they have been better acquainted with them than any other group. Our individual state of mind is continually affected by the state of the black nation, which at this point is dominated not by hope and the rising expectations of the middle class but by skyrocketing rates of imprisonment, drug abuse and unemployment.

And guess who has the highest rate of imprisonment, drug use and unemployment? Black young men, of course, the soldiers of the hip-hop nation who amid the distressing statistics are still expected to carry forward the dreams and expectations of the black community. The reality is that far too many of them fail to fulfill these expectations -- or find that even worldly success fails to mitigate their despair -- so it is hardly surprising that it is they who are suffering most acutely in the current mental health crisis. It is they who bear the brunt of America's eternal unease with blacks in general, they who see images of themselves plastered on billboards with lackluster eyes and brooding menace. I see those billboards and feel a direct hit of anger, repulsion, empathy. I feel every bewildering thing at once. To me, and to many others like me, any image of a black person feels like a representation of all black people -- at this point in our evolution we are still not at the point where we can comfortably separate symbol from self.

If that isn't madness, nothing is. Poussaint and Alexander don't fully explicate the nuances of this madness, only because they keep the book to a status report. But it's a start, and despite the sobering picture the book paints of our bruised and once-infallible hope, it's the most hopeful thing I've read in a long time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

About the writer
Erin Aubry-Kaplan is a staff writer at the L.A. Weekly and a contributor to "Mothers Who Think: Tales of Real-Life Parenthood," edited by Camille Peri and Kate Moses (Villard).

Copyright 2005 Salon.com

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back