Black People : Blacks should "Get Over Slavery"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by OmowaleX, Jan 18, 2007.

1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
  2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
  3. darkreign

darkreign Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    What is he worried about? Does he feel that the US may have to apologies for other wrongs? Apologizing for the role the US played in the slave trade should be the first step.

Because ‘it was a long time ago’ is irrelevant. To most blacks (I say most b\c there are some that think this same way) slavery is still a highly relevant and passionate subject.

Blacks are still being hindered by residual institutional racist policies from slavery. We were considered livestock and the master could do whatever he wished with impunity. Also what was more devastating about slavery is that it ripped complete families apart.

An effect that we are still seeing today in the black family and turning a blind eye or attempting to sweep it under the carpet is not going to solve this problem and refusing to give an apology is denying responsibility as a nation and serves only to re-enforce racial divisions.

The slave trade is not a fairy tale, this happened to real people; our people and it should never be forgotten.

peace!

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    (Smile)...

I am so thankful for the Elders and my Teachers, I have learned [from them] that things like what this "legislator" brought up is not even worth my attention...

:thanks:!

KD

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    BLACKS SHOULD...

i find it strange that these good christian white folk don't tell the jews to-GET OVER THE HOLOCAUST.

6. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    White people need to get over the Moorish occupation of southern europe, the Crusades, the Amerikkkan Civil War, Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust and Vietnam. When they get over these issues I'll get over slavery.

7. Kokujin

Kokujin Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    We SHOULD get over slavery, stop playing the slave card and move on, it's the only way we can succeed.

What the US should appologize for is the Tuskeegee experiments and Aids.

Keep Slavery with us, learn from it, but don't use it as an excuse.

8. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    * Specifically, who's playing the "slave card" and how are they playing it?

* Black people have moved on. We have no choice but to move on.

MS.

9. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Unfortunately, too many of us haven't gotten over slavery, and many of us act as if we ourselves were the actual victims of it. In that sense, we need to get over it, and move on, because it didn't happen to us directly. History has recorded the fact of slavery, and there are many books available on the subject, as well as internet web sites dedicated to it. There are books about all kinds of slavery and who enslaved whom, and so on and so on and so on. There is no real way of getting a resolution to slavery, reparations, whether we get them or not, will not resolve the issue. Some people are stagnate in their lives and blame it on slavery, the white man, the devil made me do it, disease, bad weather, full moons, high tides, you name it and someone, somewhere has used it as an excuse for not succeeding in life.

The jews said 'never again' to the halocaust, and they have established themselves economically and politically to ensure it. They are not going around talking about "the man", they have become their own man.

We don't need any more handicaps to keep us down, such as this issue of slavery. I have never considered myself a slave, a former slave or an associate slave. So I don't harbor any hate towards any white man because of that issue. Those who hold this hatred, have high blood pressure, disease, misery, unemployment, fewer opportunities for prosperity, and the man they blame for all of this, doesn't even know that they exist. Get over it!

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    BLACKS SHOULD...

of course we shouldn't use slavery as a crutch,i agree 1,000 percent,but we don't need a white politician whose ancestors wrote the very laws that have us struggling today to get over slavery,when i hear that from one of them it's like the crack of the whip on our backs.