Black Relationships : Is divorce the first option?

Another Observation...

It seems to me that people who marry because they are in love and have taken the steps to build a strong foundation are more than likely able to work out problems without resorting to divorce.

BUT I have noticed that there are a lot of folks who got married simply because someone ASKED them to...and because there was no foundation, they divorce at the first sign of problems. Some people get married because they feel obligated, and again they may not have been happy from day one.

I think choosing to divorce depends on the reasons why you got married in the first place.

Just another small opinion

Ahh.. divorce. In some places, this is a dirty word. Coming from someone whose parents have been together for 31 years, I think divorce should not be the first option. Counseling should be the first option in all cases. Or, at least, wait a few days for both parties to calm down and talk TO each other, not AT each other. I'm currently married. I've been married for a little over a year. We're having problems. Normal, everyday, marital problems. Yet, when we fight, the first thing that ever comes out of either or our motuhs is "divorce." This soceity has taught us that if you can't take the heat, RUN! Here is my humble opinion on a few issues:

1. Adultery: While this may be a glaring neon sign for divorce for some people, one thing most of us fail to do is look at our part in it. Why did my spouse cheat? Was I paying my spouse attention? And if you cannot find the answer in yourself, ask the other person what in the world were they thinking....

2. Domestic violence: I believe this should never be tolerated. But, ask yourself, have many times have you lashed out and smacked your children when you were angry? How many times have you gotten snippy with the cashier? Cursed at the waitress? Snapped at the bank teller? Everyone has bad days, everyone has a fuse, everyone has a temper.

3. Drug use: Again, I don't like the idea of drugs. First, what drug is it? Alcohol? Weed? Crack? How do they act when they're high? Does the use of this drug lead to lies, thievery, abuse?

4. Money: Financies are the number one cause of divorce. I read an essay not too long ago that said "Money is not the problem; it's a symptom." What can you do to fine tune your financies? Disconnect cable? Do your own hair? Wait on that fur coat/diamond ring/$10,000 spinning rims? What are you bringing to the table? Your spouse? Who spends the most money? On what?

I offer these questions as a way to stop divorce from being the first option. Getting back to my own marriage, neither of us actually wants a divorce. What we both want is financial ease and emotional attention, among other things. Had we ran out and filed at the first sign of a problem, we never would have figured that out. Marriage is a learning process. And, yes, it takes work to make it work. Does the car drive itself. or do you actually have to do something to get it started? Isn't there maintenance involved? Let's think about that.........

Toya

That was very good insight on this subject. I agree on most of what you said. I think it is a learning process and we have to be patient and understand that before taking those vows. Two things that I think should never be tolerated though are adultery and violence. Even if the person is neglecting you emotionally or physically, you have made vows to be faithful and loyal to your mate. That's the ultimate sign of disrespect in my opinion. Though I understand that alot of it comes from neglect, I don't see how cheating makes anything better. Plus, where does the trust go? What is marriage without trust. I could never trust someone that cheated on me. Violence also is the same. Why put up with the one that is suppose to love you, beating on you. I have been with women that felt it was ok to swing on me. Even then, I never swung back. Why? Not because I would never hit a woman. That has nothing to do with it. These were people that I cared about and if I inflicted physical pain on them by hitting them I would feel terrible. I'd rather walk because anyone that does that doesn't love me anyway. Drugs and money I think can be worked out, along with most other issues. I totally agree with the financial situation that you addressed. Sometimes we set ourselves up to struggle by being materialistic zombies. Letting the TV tell us what we need.

Like I said, I'm in a situation where things are not looking so good. And the big issue is money. All I can really say at this point is give it over to G-d. Blessed be the Creator, as His Spirit lives in us. We all have to make some hard decisions in life. The main thing to be corncerned with is How will this affect me/my kids/my other half in the long run? My sister has been married 3 times, each marriage shorter than the last. And of all of them, her first marriage, she admits, had she been a little bit older, a little bit wiser... it could have worked. My marriage? I can pray for the burden to be lifted, and work to do my part. And that's all.........

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back