Black Relationships : Transracial Adoption

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by NNQueen, Jun 30, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    What are your thoughts about adoption? Would you ever consider adopting a child? Yes, why? No, why not?

If yes, would you ever consider adopting a child from a different racial/ethnic background than yours?

How do you feel about transracial adoption, particularly whites adopting Black children?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Hello Queenie ... as usual, another great topic!

Yes, i have adopted! :) My baby's name is Destiny (which is where "Destee" comes from) and she's been with us since age 2, she's 9 now. She had been living in a foster care environment, with a white family, prior to coming to us. There were really 2 things that stood out when we first got her. One was that the white family did not have a clue regarding what to do with/for her hair. It was so bad, my heart ached as i combed through it. First of all it was in 2 ponytails, with grease globbed on top and down the part, but once i took the ponytails down and parted her hair, i saw that her scalp was so dry, scaly, bald patches throughout :( It took some time healing her scalp, but of course all is well now. The other thing that stood out was her obvious love for this white family and their love for her. It was sad to break the bond they had. The white family would call often to speak to Destiny and she would be kinda sad and teary-eyed after speaking to them, so i thought it was best that we stopped all of that, which i did.

Had i shared my thoughts regarding White folk adopting Black children 7 years ago, i would have been firmly against it. But now, with so many Black children needing love, growing up in group homes, nobody wanting them, not feeling loved ... i can't agree that they should remain that way because there are no Black adults willing to take them in. Love is so important to a life. Knowing that someone wanted you, needed you, went out of their way to choose you ... that is a great foundation on which to build a life ... and it makes no difference to me who is providing that, just let the babies have it.

:heart:

Destee

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes i would adopt .....why!
    there are well ova millions of children needing a home
    it would be the love and caring unto the child .....and for
    mix adoption of whites taking black children into their homes
    would be a plus ....why the family orient is needed sure the
    style of hair of a color child is different for whites hair but it shows
    that many knows how to care for their hair this helps get more
    children homes to be loved abd cared for away from the fostercare adoption is one of the top demands in today's world
    so many so young leaving children behind in alley's home alone
    and many other reasons so why not adopt .....
    then we have many new families whom partners or mates that can't bare children so they adopt but to see a white adopt a black child sho great bonding signs to help get pass racial myth
    i have to say sure my emotions of adoptions is high due to seeing many children homeless , not loved
    look at Mike Tyson who was raised by whites but spent much
    of his life in and out of fostercare homes ...what has he become
    mixed up and confused .......i would accept any child whom in need of a loving home black , white, don't matter we all have to start looking pass the color and into the facts of loving thou children of all creed of humankind .

4. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    What are your thoughts about adoption? Would you ever consider adopting a child? Yes, why? No, why not?

I plan to adopt atleast two black babies when I get married.

If yes, would you ever consider adopting a child from a different racial/ethnic background than yours?

I dont' think so, there're just too many black babies needing a home.

How do you feel about transracial adoption, particularly whites adopting Black children?
    I thinks it great they adopt babies who need love,but please learn something about the culture. And it does irk me that they feel a need to adopt 5000 babies each year from asia/china, with all the american babies in foster care.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    blackeyes this so true .......we need to clean our own
    home fronts before we can go in somebody else yard
    so many of our own children needing love & care a home
    it is a value to learn the culture of the background of a
    child of color
    and the true teaching of it .......but the facts of them getting a
    home a place of love and comfort is the sweet moment
    surely later in life and growing up the child / children will learn
    through research there true culture
    we need to get them first out these foster care homes

yes i feel the need for whom ever what ever color
    adopt a child ...u hit some key points thanks for sharing

6. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would consider adopting and have done so. I adopted my two younger siblings. It is hard raising other people biological children, but it's much needed. The systems are terrible. I think I could raise a white child due to the fact that I know about white culture. I don't think I could raise an Asian child because of my lack of knowledge. Most people are very ignorant about Black culture and the many aspects behind it. It seems like a double standard. Love is great and every child needs it regardless of race (in agreement with Destee), but people would have to take extra steps to educate about culture,history, and so on. Are people willing to take that extra step?