Black Parenting : Don't make me come back there!

Why?

To scare them enough to keep them out of situations where the "white man" won't kill them. To get you to behave in ways such that our children aren't noticeable by the "wrong" people. At least that's what I think the origins of African American parenting-style stems from--when we were slaves or enslaved.

Originally we were trying to keep our children "safe" to prevent them from being taken away from us. An African American mother/father would rather beat you or discipline you for doing something stupid and calling "negative" attention to yourself, than have a white person use his/her privilege of whiteness and make another Black victim of you.

MHO...

Queenie :spinstar:

toylin said:
To re-visit this thread:

Why do parents always feel the need to threaten their children?

It makes them feel big. It is about fear and control. They have little power outside the home so they overcompensate in the home. Any reference to slavery means nothing.....that is long enough ago that if blacks WANTED to change, they could. It takes no more than ONE generation to correct a problem in parenting style.

To answer Isaiah on the trash talking....why does the B-Ball player trash talk when playing?? Because they enjoy what they are doing, it is a source of pride to them, it helps mentaly defeat the enemy, and it just plain make them fell good about the task they are carying out..........same for black parents beating the crap outta their kids.

I never beat the crap out of my child but a little trash talking never hurt! At least, not in my opinion. In fact, done at the optimum time and done well, it can be quite effective. It requires skill that needs to be mastered though and you can't be weak at heart, especially when the kid is larger than you are. Sometimes you just gotta stand up and say hey, here it is...take it or leave it! :hulk:

Queenie :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back