Black Parenting : I don't want my kids to believe in Father Christmas

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Liberty, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    [​IMG]

OK. I have never, and will never, encourage my children to believe in Father Christmas. That might sound niggardly – even heretical – but, to me, the whole phenomenon seems bizarre. I cannot understand why people try to make their children believe what is not true, in an effort to create a synthetic innocence and wonder. Parents go to great lengths to peddle this lie, from dressing up in a Father Christmas costume late at night to interpreting meteorological phenomena as evidence of Santa's journey to Britain. People encourage their kids to leave a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie out for Saint Nick, and a carrot for his reindeer. Then, before going to bed, they drink half the mulled wine and take a bite out of the mince pie and the carrot. This is normal?

Read more

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/j...-want-my-kids-to-believe-in-father-christmas/

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    That time of the year to teach children the importance of buying their happiness and living according to the traditions which have been passed down from caucasian generation to caucasian generation.

Ah, can you smell it in the air?:cold:

3. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    why do you call him father christmas?

anyway, i've always found it interesting that we teach our kids to lie...then get on them for lying.

why would any MAN allow another man to take responsibility for the things he buy for his kids?

why do we encourage the celebration...and belief...in a lie?

why do we teach/encourage our kids to lie?

WHY?

4. SouthsideIrish

SouthsideIrish Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    A lie is when you tell your wife you are going to shoot Pool with the guys and you go to a cheap motel. Talking about Santa Claus isn't a lie, it's a harmless fib allowing children to actually be in a somewhat interactive fairy tale. If ya want to cut out Santa you might as well cut out cartoons and kids movies and dolls and toy action figures. Take them to the slaughterhouse to really see where our food comes from.

Ridiculous

It's a tough world out there. Let them be children for as long as they can. Let them have their fairytales and dreAms for as long as it lasts.

5. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    As far as not letting another man take responsibility for the things he buys.

Sounds like one of the most selfish things I've ever read.

Isn't the happiness on a child's face Christmas morning the only thanks a person really needs?

6. baller

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    a lie is an untruth. telling someone something is true when it's not...is a lie. just like, telling your wife you're going to play pool with the fellas, when you're really going to get busy with the ladies, is an untruth...a lie. and telling your children that a fairytale is real,instead of a fairytale, is a lie...regardless to how you label it. fortunately, i do not have to lie to my children, for them to be happy. maybe that's selfish of me, but i'd rather my children know the truth, from day one...than to find out, later, that i've been lying to them.

selfish? really?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  7. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    Yes, selfish...absolutely...kids don't always have the mental makeup to hear truth. If a 6 yeAr old kids new puppy gets run over by a car you gonna tell him or her that or you gonna tell him/her it ran away? If my sons uncle died of a drug over dose I would probably tell him it was a heart attack..kids don't need to know everything. If a 6 year old kid asks how a baby got in a women's stomach I'm not gonna start talking about sex. Kids need to be nurtured. Of course these examples don't really correlate with Santa but they are lies. In this world a child's innocence goes away pretty quick.. I'm holding on my kids for as long as I can.

8. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    People will say anything to defend why they deceive their children all to see them smile for that ridiculous holiday.

Having one's own babies believe in lies has absolutely nothing to do with allowing them to remain innocent and live as happy, playful children. How can one even speak of innocence when they're actively filling their child's head with deception that does nothing toward their growth to being better human beings?

It's not at all selfish of you to be upfront and honest with your children about a fairytale being just that.

9. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    My dad says this, every year. :lol:

10. baller

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    Maybe i am being selfish, Angela. maybe the truth is too harsh for some people's children...and they've discovered that a lie is more soothing, and therefore, more educational and uplifting for their children. i shouldn't try to sway these people to my way of thinking, just because i don't get why they feel that the only way their children can be happy is through their lies. that's them. they know what's best for their children. who am i to question why they would want to do that.

on the other hand, if i choose to tell my children the truth, vice their lies, they shouldn't try to sway me to their way of thinking--you do you, and i'll do me. if their children don't have the mental makeup to hear the truth, they shouldn't be told the truth. they would know that better than i would. with that said, and to keep from breaking any of Destee's rules, i'm going to walk away.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. father Christmas

2. real father christmas