Black People : African Ancestry & DNA Tests: The Results

@Cherryblossom

Well, almost - like I know my SSA percentage won't be anywhere near enough to actually do that, I'll probably be in the 20 to 30% range I would guess, but there is definitely a part of me that wants to wave them around and say "see, I told you I wasn't a white girl".

Same thing to me. :10500:

@Cherryblossom

Well I guess, from a US viewpoint yeah it probably is - seriously though its as much for me as it is for any paper waving, to finally know for certain....

Have you seriously considered doing one of the ones which tells you what tribe in Africa you're from? It'd be interesting to find out for sure rather than just knowing you're from a whole continent somewhere....

Strange how I'm now digging into my grandmother's family after having ignored it before - didn't seem to hold that much interest when I started this family history thing - thought it was just a fairly boring line of anglo folk, but looks like it could end up being worth investigating after all, though like you said the color thing in Louisiana seems a real complicated affair. Just wondering have you ever come across the term 'mulatto rouge' before? - I've tried searching on Google, but can't find anything on it at all.

@Cherryblossom

Well I guess, from a US viewpoint yeah it probably is - seriously though its as much for me as it is for any paper waving, to finally know for certain....

It's still the same thing to me....From what you've shared, You want to know and be able to tell people WITH DOCUMENTED PROOF that you are NOT "White" ---that you have enough Sub-Saharan African DNA not to be "White." ---You want to affirm your Black ancestry.

Again, same thing to me.

@
Have you seriously considered doing one of the ones which tells you what tribe in Africa you're from? It'd be interesting to find out for sure rather than just knowing you're from a whole continent somewhere....

I am not able to have it done right now; but, yes, I seriously want that test to determine where my African ancestors hailed from.

@
Strange how I'm now digging into my grandmother's family after having ignored it before - didn't seem to hold that much interest when I started this family history thing - thought it was just a fairly boring line of anglo folk, but looks like it could end up being worth investigating after all, though like you said the color thing in Louisiana seems a real complicated affair. Just wondering have you ever come across the term 'mulatto rouge' before? - I've tried searching on Google, but can't find anything on it at all.

No, I've never heard of "mulatto rouge."

"Baton Rouge," the capital of LA, means "red stick."

...Perhaps, "mulatto rouge" may be the french/creole term for what many African Americans call a "Redbone." :10500:

But I don't know.

Maybe Bro. Blackbird could help you with Louisiana history.

@cherryblossom

Ah yeah I get you now with that first bit - yep, definitely I want to have proof that I am part African for sure cause it doesn't show that much on the outside - though strangely enough when I asked the guy who thought I was 1/2 East African what he meant he said I looked like a white-washed Ethiopean, apparently I've got the same kind of eyes or something???....

Anyways, hopefully the answer will be waiting for me when I get back from the Canaries next Wednesday - till then I'll have my mind kept off it having fun - need a holiday as the summer was spent working even though I got to tour round Europe at the same time.

Good points. I actually don't have a problem with taking DNA tests, it's just I'm sketchy a lot of times on how they are interpreted and the conversations that take place after these results come in. Hence why I encourage anyone who takes one to do a lot of their own independent research on the results they receive. Now, I would like to see more African descendants control these conversations around identity. That is essentially my aim with everything that I do related to all this.

That is where I think Zim's points make a lot of sense to me. It's about who controls these conversations on identity.

If europeans are behind these tests you can rest assure that they will keep you away from north africa and have you in west africa. OF course we know that the ancient egyptians were black, the ancient greeks, the moors of spain and so forth. Africans populated the globe even in the americas. However the scheme is to pin all africans in one spot. The plans of the so called arch deceiver is to keep you in the dark.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back