Black People : African American Ancestry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Deepvoice, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Earlier, cruder studies, done before direct genetic testing was feasible, suggested that African Americans were 25 or even 30 percent white. In 25 sites an 3,000 people in, he is coming up with 17-18 percent white ancestry among black Americans. Thats the equivalent of 106 out of 128 of your ancestry frojm 7 generations having been African and 22 European.

The admixture rates vary by region, the highest white ancestry of blacks has happened in places like California, and Washington. They average a little over 25 percent white ancestry. Amongst the Gullah's South Carolina and Georgia, it is 3-4 percent white.

In the rest of the rural south black Americans tend to not be as black as the Gullahs but blacker than the national average. In four Lowland farm counties in South Carolina it was said to be 12-13 percent. In places like Missippi it is said to be around the average, in New York it is said to be closer to 27 percent, while Philly is a little below the average.

I know somebody probably has gotten to this article before me but I thought was interesting. I was worried about finding white ancestry in my paternal line, that is the one that goes from father to son, but it is very unlikely given these results. I've gone back just 5 generations on my paternal line and haven't found in white ancestry no where near it, thank God.

There do exist some black males with European y-chromosomes but fewer than previously thought.

2. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    This test was done by someone who happened to be apart of the Shriver and Kennedy politcal families, he has 22 percent African ancestry in genes coming from his mother's paternal grandfather.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    (some more bs to get Africans in a-merry-con tripping on something that ain't about unification!!)
    not surprising; white folks always did love that dark meat!

but let's see the results from the other side of the tracks? how much African genetic material in white folks?!

4. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Quote = Deepvoice

"This test was done by someone who happened to be apart of the Shriver and Kennedy politcal families, he has 22 percent African ancestry in genes coming from his mother's paternal grandfather."

It has been noted in various academic journals on this subject for years that if any white person's family has been in this country for more than 5 generations, there is a 70% likelihood of Black ancestry.

5. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    I think that was also stated Riada in the article, I'm not sure

6. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    anAfrican I didn't really take it that way but maybe you're right, I was taking it that we are more African than what they were saying we were. I think whites overlook the fact that we have much Native American in us if not more than white, which would account for why we look so much different from continental Africans. I seen an African the other day who was much lighter than myself(I'm pretty black) and I could tell just by the shape of his head, and the expressions on his face that he wasn't African American before he opened his mouth up. I couldn't tell if he was African but I knew he wasn't from here.

I see people often times overlooking facial features, people will say two dark skin or light skin people look a like, when in fact they only favor each in complexion, I don't do that. I could look at Sammy Sosa and tell you that he wasn't from just by looking at him, you can still see some hispanic in him despite him being dark skinned.

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Right; anyone descended from Africans is gonna be African at base. I have a Native American grandfather. I think that has an influence on my features. (I think "them maggots" just overlook anything they don't want to have to acknowledge.)

And then I see Ethiopians and realize that they are more Arabian than African! I saw this fine looking woman at Albertson's the other day (ain't no white women ever gonna fit in that category again, to me), and I was just marveling over the beauty of this Sister. Looking closer I began to wonder "Philipino? Asian influence in there somewhere, anyway! Sometimes I marvel over how Asian features so closely mirror African features! And Pacific Islanders.

8. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about anAfrican. I've seen some gorgeous dark skin girls but you could tell that there was something just a little bit different about them in their facial features. They try to say we all all flat nosed and big lipped, but we are not all that way.

As far as the Native American I have it on both sides, the women on my father's side have the most beautiful blend of Native American and African facial feature. There some extremely dark skinned Native Americans in Mississippi, often their mixes are only distinguishable through hair texture.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't care enough about white or Native American blood in my ancestry to do any research. That is looking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. I don't have any wish to be "multi-cultural", the only time and money I'll spend to do research will be to find my original African ancestors.

10. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    The Africans I’ve been around and lived among consider AAs as being “mixed.” The fact is that most of them are never going to regard AAs as being African, unless they’re being polite. I’ve had some very frank discussions with them in which they’ve asked me that if AAs want to be Africans, why don’t we go to Africa and learn African culture, learn to speak an indigenous (not Swahili) African language, learn and practice African values and practice African culture in the ways we interact with our family members and raise our children? When I’ve responded that this is too difficult for most AAs to pull off, they say we are “not serious.”