Right to privacy?? Under my Roof???

There's an old saying: "If you look for something, if you look long enough, you're bound to find it." It's called "self-fulfilling prophecy."

I believe that people, including teens, should be afforded the privilege of privacy if they desire it, and not all do. I'm not sure I would define privacy as a "right", but it may be perceived as an entitlement by those who regard it as such.

As a teen, I used to meditate (I prefer to call it that as opposed to 'daydreaming' as my mother used to call it), do a lot of reading, and also write my young thoughts in a diary. It was important to me to be able to do this in the privacy of my bedroom with my door closed. Not because I was doing anything "wrong" or was being sneaky, I simply liked a sanctuary where I could go and be alone, and still do to this day.

Even so, my parents always knocked before they entered my room because they taught my brother and me to do the same before entering the privacy of their bedroom. That, to us, was a lesson in respecting someone's privacy. I guess they could have argued it was their house and could do anything they wanted, but they didn't because it was more important to them to teach the lesson of respect as opposed to a dictatorship. There was no double standard that way.

To teach respect, I believe we have to show respect. To teach trust, we have to trust. If we don't, then why would we be shocked or surprised when spouses or significant others don't respect each other's privacy?

Why hold a child that's done no wrong, accountable for the actions of other children in the general population that may have done bad things? Just because we think there's a chance they may do the same to us? I don't think that's fair and certainly not an indicator of a "good" or "smart" parent--in my opinion.

Often so many people complain about Black children not having any "home training." So often we hear constant complaints about how they dress, how they act, and how they lack respect for adults and each other. If we don't teach them and show them respect, then how can we blame them when they don't show it or even know what it looks like?

I hope our youth aren't living by the old parental rule of complete domination by parents or are expected to live by the principle of "Do as I say and not as I do." We have to show them how we would like for them to behave and meet them at their point of need.

MHO,
Queenie :heart:

A right to privacy ? Hhmm, let me think...? Absolutely not !! Now, mind you... back in the day "the age of innocence", before over exposure of media, video, a proliferation of adult issues and concerns via the internet, as well as the over all speed of society at general, I would have said "yes" to privacy. But in todays society, HELL NO !!

I also must remember what and how I was like as a younger person...and I know that my mother was shocked later in life to find out from us some of the things we were engaging in when we were children.

I agree 100% with the statememnt that "children are masters in the art of "manipulating" their parents. Of this I have no doubt. We often think that "we are learning our children" when the reality is that "they are learning us". Their minds are wide open and more receptive, and as such, they don't dismiss the things that an adult would just shrug off as if it isn't important. We can make the true statement of "if you go looking you will find it"...but we should never dismiss the one that says; "give them an inch and they'll take a foot, give them a foot and they'll take a yard".

Time has very possibly revealed to many of us the reality of those children that we knew "who always obeyed their parents, got good grades and in essence was a good mannered child". Many of us know from first hand experience that "that was part of their game". We know those same type who are out there clocking and doing all sorts of sh@t !! They just developed better skills at deception than the other children did. Then we became so shocked when we found out that they were killed in a drive by or was busted doing x,y, and z. Come on, are we stupid or what !?

I got my straight A,s and B,s in school. Was president of the 4-H club, wrote school plays, was on the track and wrestling team. Now ask me what I was doing when I wasn't doing that!? My mother did not know the names, addresses or phone numbers of my friends or associates ! I was off the d@mn chain !!

When I was the manager of McDonalds down in Camden, N.J...I used to see the young girls coming to work with some clothes on to turn a grown mans head. As they left to go home, I asked them.."what are you doing?"...those aren't the clothes you came in here with? They said; "I know, these are the clothes I left home in. I go over my friends house to change my clothes before I go to school" I said; "Oh, so that's not the way you left home, huh ?" They said, No, you crazy! My parents would kill me if I even thought about leaving home like this to go to school".

Well needless to say, as a manager of Micky Ds at that time, I was in for all kinds of learning experiences from those we say should be granted "privacy". The sharpest kid I met was Tyrone. Tyrone was a school genius. He was from outward appearances, shy and quiet. He was mannerly and did whatever work I asked of him. He was working to go to college and when the time came...would travel halfway up the state of Jersey to go. He lived at home with his parents and came from a fairly affluent and work oriented family.

I liked him because he had not allowed or displayed that 'hood" mentality or character about himself. What I did not know was that Tyrone was almost a King Pin. He was the man when it came to selling guns and any drugs you wanted. He basically stayed to himself, but he net worked through the people he did know. He was able to keep almost all of it in his room. He had "earned the trust, the respect and the priviledge from his parents for being such a good child. For always getting good grades and for proving that he was a son that could be trusted and relied upon"

LITTLE DID THEY KNOW !!

YEAH, I BELIEVE IN PRIVACY...AS SOON AS THEY MOVE AND GET THEIR OWN PLACE WHERE THEY GOT TO PAY RENT !!!

The home privacy of 'knocking" before entering and all that is good....but believe this. THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING IN MY CHILD'S ROOM THAT I SHOULD NOT KNOW ABOUT. I SHOULD KNOW EVERY FRIEND, THEIR ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBERS. I SHOULD KNOW EVERY PEICE OF CLOTHING THEY HAVE RIGHT ON DOWN TO WHAT THEY ARE WATCHING ON T.V. THAT IS THE WORLD TODAY !!!...AND I CAN'T ACT LIKE MY CHILD IS WISE ENOUGH OR STRONG ENOUGH TO OUT MANEUVER ALL THE GAME, THE TRAPS, THE BULLSH@T, THE TRUE SLICKSTERS AND THE PEER PRESURE THAT'S OUT THERE FOR THEM.

Keita said:
A right to privacy ?
... The home privacy of 'knocking" before entering and all that is good....but believe this. THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING IN MY CHILD'S ROOM THAT I SHOULD NOT KNOW ABOUT. I SHOULD KNOW EVERY FRIEND, THEIR ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBERS. I SHOULD KNOW EVERY PEICE OF CLOTHING THEY HAVE RIGHT ON DOWN TO WHAT THEY ARE WATCHING ON T.V. THAT IS THE WORLD TODAY !!!...AND I CAN'T ACT LIKE MY CHILD IS WISE ENOUGH OR STRONG ENOUGH TO OUT MANEUVER ALL THE GAME, THE TRAPS, THE BULLSH@T, THE TRUE SLICKSTERS AND THE PEER PRESURE THAT'S OUT THERE FOR THEM.

I agree you "should" know these things about your child...parents should know, I also believe you can know these things without going through their room looking for this information as well. For every kid that you have stories of their rampant deception, there are equal stories of those that don't. Just because you got the a's and b's, president of the 4-h club, etc and deceived your parents, that proves nothing in support of this privacy issue in the grand scheme of things. Are you saying that if your mother knew names and addresses or other bits of information about your friends and associates, you wouldn't have been "off da chain"?

If they (children) are the "master of deception" that you and others claim, wouldn't you come to the conclusion that they could be just as deceptive in "hiding" or not keeping damaging evidence in their room to be discovered by unannounced "inspections" by their parents? If they are going to be deceptive, giving them some privacy or not isn't going to matter one way or the other to them. imho

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back