Do you have a right to choose?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by CarrieMonet, Sep 20, 2004.

1. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Would you ever try to choose what your child should do in life? Things like where they should go to college, what they should major in and ultimately what sort of career they should choose?

Or
    Do you simply make suggestions and hope they listen?

2. caramelpython

caramelpython Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +42
    Yes I would and I have my reasons for this. I will choose the school because it's my $$$ and im not paying for school if you don't know what you want to do. I think the asians have a good point when they do this for their children and how many of us wish we did listen to our parents about where we went to school and what we choose to study? It's mu opinion but it's real one.

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would let the kid do what they want, I would rather the child find their own destiny, than for me to dictate a false one.

4. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Me too. You can try to be like your kids but you cannot make them be like you!

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I would keep the kid informed of what work they would have to put in to make it in any feild they choose so they dont choose based upon what they think is the easy way out. I would let them know that if they screw up due to goofing off in school, I will simply cut the money supply till they get serious.

You can talk all day about what they "should do", but that does not mean they will want to or even have the ability to do it. I think parents push THIER dreams off on the kids....the same thing happens with fathers and the sports they get their sons into some times....and it usually backfires in many ways.

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    As far as college goes I will pick the college they go to now all else..that's on them...I will give them the information I feel they need to make a good decision but in the end it's their decision to make and I will support them right wrong or otherwise

Mississippi Red

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I will take my child to every Black College ona campus tour that I believe will be great for them. I have faith that my first born will be a spitting image of me. What reason will they have to go against me? In this case.....Daddy Know's Best!!!!

But just like Manasiac said, They can choose the destiny, and I will shut it down if it is false. I am not expecting them to go into Computers like I am, but they will be Honors students, they will go to a top quality Black College (FAMU leading the list), and they will earn Master's Degrees and become somebody. Because with me, it is all about the books first! By the time my child turns 10, they will fall in love with college. I mean right now, I am currently surrounded by a family that strongly values education! Something highly worth adapting to!

Cedric Denson

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cedric you contradict yourself everytime you talk about kids and not controlling thier destiny let me give you some examples:

"I will choose the boys my daugters dates" --Ced in a n old post

"but they will be Honors students, they will go to a top quality Black College (FAMU leading the list), and they will earn Master's Degrees and become somebody."
    " -- Dat Pimp Ced

"By the time my child turns 10, they will fall in love with college" -- Cedric "The Totalitarian" Denson

I mean dude, you got to be real here, these are some lofty ambitions to accomplish, especially when dealing with a human that has it''s own will.

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I would give advice but leave the choice up to them for i trust
    in the choices they make , but in some areas i must lay the law
    to prefection for i am and will be the solo guide to lead them into
    a better future for them self but it really is what they do with it
    and how well they can handle it alone .........

10. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    We all as parents want our kids to be something in life…and be good at what they do I would not pick my kids school nor the life they want…. I would give them proper information and allow them to pick the school or career of their choice….but I think the final decision should be theirs. If they are not happy with your choice…higher chance for them to drop out or just neglect schooling….

And if you notice they do have minds after graduation I think its best to let them make there choices we are only the guide and hope they follow our lead and do good in life They will never learn life if they are not allowed to make mistakes to learn from…We cant protect them always and I am a over protective mom….