Black People : Proper Way To Ask Someone Their Race / Nationality

Because in this country as opposed to the one you live in people of color don't have the luxury of pretending we live in a colorblind society.

So when Black people ask a person with a phenotype that's a little hard to discern... "where are you from?" this question often serves as a euphemism for "what's your race?"

:fyi:

Peace and Blessings Family,
I don't want to offend them, but i'd like to know if they consider themselves Black, white, or what ... and ... what is their nationality (where are they from).

How do i phrase this properly Family?

Destee

People tend to let their guard down whenever someone gives them a compliment.

You could break the ice by saying something to the effect of "Wow, your skin is beautiful", or "Your hair is very pretty".

Wait for them to respond so you can judge their disposition. If they glare at you out of suspicion or ignore you, I would leave it at that and keep it moving. But if they smile back and say "Thank You", then you could politely ask, "If you don't mind me asking, what is your nationality (or ethnicity)?"

That way, your question will be perceived as coming from a place of admiration as opposed to thinking you are trying to insult or stereotype them.

Because in this country as opposed to the one you live in people of color don't have the luxury of pretending we live in a colorblind society.

So when Black people ask a person with a phenotype that's a little hard to discern... "where are you from?" this question often serves as a euphemism for "what's your race?"

Well we are not asking it of a specific Phenotype, we are asking of everyone, and not just here other countries do the same. Be the person Jamaican, Bahama, Belize, Germany, Norwegian, Italian. has nothing to do with color or race. We just want to know where they are from. Also has nothing to do with us be colorblind.

So I guess I will mark this up to another USA hangup.

Well we are not asking it of a specific Phenotype, we are asking of everyone, and not just here other countries do the same. Be the person Jamaican, Bahama, Belize, Germany, Norwegian, Italian. has nothing to do with color or race. We just want to know where they are from. Also has nothing to do with us be colorblind.

So I guess I will mark this up to another USA hangup.

peace

It's not a "hang up", it's more of a conditioning.........

For instance if you were to ask a "black" person when i was a teenager if they were from Africa, or even call them an african, you would definately have to "guard your grill" because you are about to get punched in the face after you got cursed out!

If you were to tell a Dominican here in the states that they look and sound like they are from Puerto Rico, the same result may occur especially if talking to a male...if talking to a female, you might just get: "oh no papi, ju definately don't know ju maduro from ju tostones cause i 100% Dominicano OK!! do ju need me to splain dat again too ju?"
- with the neck twisting and finger pointing in your face and one hand on her hip with crazy attitude for making a simple mistake about where she was from......

The only ones' who are really comfortable asking here in the states are the nosiest and newest people on the planet....Europeans! IMHO

@info-moetry
"The only ones' who are really comfortable asking here in the states are the nosiest and newest people on the planet....Europeans! IMHO "
I'm in Europe right now and its definitely an easy question to ask here - as soon as you meet someone they'll say who they are, then ask you, then its straight onto where are you from? - I think its just a natural question for people here - they may not always really be that interested, but its considered polite to show interest I think.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back