Black People : Proper English VS Accents

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MANASIAC, Apr 18, 2005.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, proper english does not suggest intelligence. Intelligence is demonstrated not spoken.

We have a lot of people who use proper english, yet lack a grade school education.

Speaking and Intelligence are two totally different areas.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, and rappin in Ebonics don't mean we be dumb neither. What makes it so ill is people don't be digging what we be saying so thay think we'on' know what we be rappin 'bout

But we knows. We knows.

3. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Manny

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, proper english does not suggest intelligence. Intelligence is demonstrated not spoken.

We have a lot of people who use proper english, yet lack a grade school education.

I agree.

Because I'm not highly educated and often have a hard time trying to find the right words to say over the internet, many people presume I'm stupid or illiterate at first contact.

But we must not confuse INTELLECT (the abilitiy to process information properly) with ARTICULATION (the ability to express one's self properly).

Having said that, I think good articulation and proper English...although not necessarily equaling intelligence...it is a SIGN of intelligence.

Like a college degree.

There are plenty of intelligent people who never graduated from college, but almost all people who graduate ARE fairly intelligent or they wouldn't have been able to do it so it's a sign or symbol that the intelligence is there.

That's how I see proper grammar and articulation...as a sign that you are intelligent.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Great post Manasiac

Latin all Latin based. Straight out of ROME. The place of corruption and death.

Those with an education have just formed a way ( with proper expression and words they say ) to make death seem civil.

Choking a race, taking over a nation killing without a bone of grace hasn’t proven an education is needed. This may be why so many young have concluded that education is a waste of time.

It has been turned away from books. It has become a whip. Beating the heads of children with 4 years of Social Science, 4 years of English. Twelve years of grammar school... and why do you think they call it this?

Nor has general education taught those with higher educations how to make a living and get along.

Why do those with high education commit the worst and most unintelligent crime against average citizens? Proper English is not a burden on black Americans. Many in Brooklyn still speak with a heavy Italian inflection. Because they are white does it make them above the line of acceptability? One of our greatest poets Paul Lawrence Dunbar wrote in Ebonics. It is accepted as great poetry.

Language is based in humanity. Nothing human in downgrading anyone’s language. Nothing civilis : civil, civic. About the way they act.

hu•man•i•ty

Pronunciation: (hyOO-man'i-tē or, often, yOO-), [key]
    —n.,
    —pl. -ties.
    1. all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind.
    2. the quality or condition of being human; human nature.
    3. the quality of being humane; kindness; benevolence.
    4. the humanities,
    a. the study of classical languages and classical literature.
    b. the Latin and Greek classics as a field of study.
    c. literature, philosophy, art, etc., as distinguished from the natural sciences.
    d. the study of literature, philosophy, art, etc.

Making fun of us by writing the law dictionary for blacks and trying again to make us fill guilty for 500 years of education inequality. Denied my ancestors the book. My mother a grade above six.

Now they give us the book, and say see. Take a look. They still don’t know how to use it.

Common sense we have. It has lasted and has taken us thru all time. You ever heard of an educated fool? They exist. Latin is Ebonics. Ever heard of Pig Latin?

www.snowcrest.net/donnelly/piglatin.html

Ellohay owhay areway ouyay …means Hello how are you.

5. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    The accent is on self-expression, is it not?

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19

Are you serious? Your posts seem to be pretty articulate to me.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    what is proper English?

8. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25

I whole heartedly agree brother... Teach :teach:

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Yes 1Poetsought.

http://www.promethea.org/Misc_Compositions/SelfExpression.html

" If our living becomes less powerful due to diminished self-expression, we become less able to believe in the value of our own life and our potential as we determine it. We become less independent, more receptive to inherited and received behaviors instead on others' judgments and opinions for a sense of worth. This dependence constitutes a symptom of the suppression, or even decay of a strong life. "

" Unfortunately behaviors and motivations remain difficult to change without knowledge of them. Too often a self-suppressing behavior or belief taken from a social source will link with an internal motivation to wreak havoc on a person's ability to self-express. This means that urges and impulses that arise naturally from one's body, or naturally from one's personality can become dangerously redirected or stunted, and with or without conscious awareness, will seek alternative means of release. "

10. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    is in not intellegent to apply ones own style, techninque, and cadence (pronunciation) to a foreign dialect, that of a foreign enemey? in actuality it is only natural, therefore we are naturally intellegent.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. proper black perple versus blacks