Black People : Proper Way To Ask Someone Their Race / Nationality

peace

Bringing up the subject of US occupations in foreign countries is sure to trigger an emotional response in 90% of the people here in NY. So you might be standing there listening for a long while, but sooner or later you will find out exactly where the individual is from and what set they claim!

If this was and is a touchy subject:

There was and is a notion of us just being stereotypical U. S. citizens, i. e., like white bigots and white racists ad naseum, allegedly feel and think we 'superior' as well as others of our 'race' there are inferior to us here...

On this particular subject, I'm afraid that those who do reflect the sad legacies of slavery and segregation, i. e., who mimic backward acting/thinking/etc. whites, also who do tend to be as much of an issue as well as a problem, underming our striving and us trying to move above and beyond their self serving b. s. too...

:sick:

Outside of the USA its very common to ask someone where they are from. As their looks or speech patterns mark them as not being local. So you ask donde tu eres. Dominican spanish for where are you from, literal translation is where you are.

Is asking where they are from such a big deal there? If so why.

yes, it is a big deal here because fools be "set trippin'"......

Seriously though, i can only speak for NYC and I feel that it is a spill over from the inner city where if you answer the question "where are you from", it could lead to a problem if you are from an area dislike by the one (s) asking the question.....the question would eventually be asked, but it would just take some warming up to for most!

Lot's of silly fights break out over which part of the borough, village and or town you are from. So when it comes to "foreighners", people from the inner cities hesitate to ask this question as they/we may come across as disrespectful without meaning too.....

I have asked the question many times during a conversation though just to get a better understanding on the individuals stance on the topic of discussion....

Outside of the USA its very common to ask someone where they are from. As their looks or speech patterns mark them as not being local. So you ask donde tu eres. Dominican spanish for where are you from, literal translation is where you are.

Is asking where they are from such a big deal there? If so why.

Because in this country as opposed to the one you live in people of color don't have the luxury of pretending we live in a colorblind society.

So when Black people ask a person with a phenotype that's a little hard to discern... "where are you from?" this question often serves as a euphemism for "what's your race?"

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back