Black People : Multi-generational anger

NNQueen said:
Sister Riada, do you think there's any emotion that humans can feel that doesn't serve some purpose...even anger? I think it does have a purpose that can be used in a positive way. It's anger that is left to simmer and boil, improperly managed that is harmful to us. But directed in the right way, it can be just the fuel one needs to achieve greater heights than before.

The point to this thread is not to reiterate what anyone who can read already knows, but exactly as Brother James nailed it. I'm not trying to persuade Black people NOT to be angry, but to take better control of it. It's the target that needs to change, not the fuel. We can't keep beating up on each other because it doesn't calm the anger, it just redirects it and often that redirection is inward. Does it make sense to you as it does me that if you hit the right target dead center, the anger will be appeased and eventually go away?

Queenie :spinstar:
Sis. Without a doubt, the anger needs to be redirected.

My thoughts on this come from my background in a clinical setting. It’s very easy to be angry. That’s one reason why people remain angry. It’s easy AND comfortable. It’s doing something useful with the anger that’s the hard part. Anger is a reflex reaction or impulse whereas in order to channel it into something productive takes discipline and methodical thought or WORK. Discipline and methodical thought are much more difficult because these are habits of mind and many people have not been trained to be disciplined or to think methodically.

Also, from working with a variety of people, I’ve discovered that anger makes many of them feel POWERFUL because this fuels their ability to cuss people out, fight or respond in self-protective ways. Also, for some people, these are “acting-out behaviors that are applauded in their environment. These are very gratifying benefits. Another benefit is that it enables many of them to bond with other angry people and find solidarity and friendship.

From a strictly behavior modification standpoint, when a behavior continues over a period of time, there are benefits being derived from it whether they are obvious, positive ones or not. Also “positive” and “negative” are judgment calls in this context. To break this habitual angry behavior takes time because the channeling you speak of requires gradual “shaping.”

uplift19 said:
This made me think about the show Black White on the FX network, where a black and white family live together and put on make up to make them look like the opposite "race." They have experiences and share how it feels to be in the other group.

This fell apart when the Black man became increasingly angry at the white guy Bruno (that's really his name) because he didn't understand what it was like to be Black even though he went around in this "Black makeup." He couldn't get inside his head and make him understand his point of view, even though he got in his skin (literally).

Sometimes we do look for a fight that is not there, but I think we all need to be more balanced in this regard.

And he will never understand.
Being black for a moment does not compare to being born black and staying that way !
He can wash the make-up off !

NNQueen said:
Do African Americans suffer from multi-generational anger? Over the last couple of weeks I have witnessed what I would call “anger” being expressed among members in many of the discussions. Topics that span relationships, religion, and current events catch the brunt of these heated discussions that often are reduced to petty name calling and hurling insults. What was once a novel tool to end an intelligent debate seems to have become a useless attempt in the discussions that take place here: “Let’s just agree, to disagree.” It never seems to work though. In fact, writing that often escalates the intensity of the disagreement. Because it’s becoming a predictable pattern, it makes me wonder whether most Black people suffer from a type of anger that is deeply rooted and spans generations. So, I started to do some research. But let me start by saying, I'm not necessarily agreeing with all aspects of what appears in the links nor am I advocating the content so you're free to disagree with it. I merely want to point to the fact about what's being written about us in terms of anger and how it's perceived to affect us.

Generally, “How we deal with stress, disappointments, and frustration determines the essence of our personality. Anger may do more harm than any other emotion. First of all it is very common and, secondly, it upsets at least two people--the aggressor and the aggressed against. There are two problems: how to prevent or control your own anger and how to handle someone aggressing against you.

The overall effects of anger are enormous (Nay, 1996). Frustration tells us "I'm not getting what I want" and eventually anger is related to violence, crime, spouse and child abuse, divorce, stormy relationships, poor working conditions, poor physical health (headaches, hypertension, GI disturbances, heart attacks), emotional disorders, and so on”. http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/chap7/chap7b.htm

But what do you think causes African Americans to get so angry such that we can't seem to have constructive dialogue without an argument developing? A study was done involving African American males and here’s some of what is written:

“The rate of incarceration and other correctional programming experienced by African American males in the United States represents an epidemic. Though various offenses are cited as reasons for this odd situation, the accused have one thing in common besides their color. They tend to be exceedingly angry. In fact, they are often enraged. Routinely this is the most vivid emotion experienced by these and other African American males and fathers. Although these feelings are intense, there is often no clear external event or circumstance that seems to relate directly to them. Thus, many of those affected do not know why they are so angry and cannot find ways to cope with, process, and escape the consequences of "free floating anger."

In order to even begin exploring and assessing the depth of this kind of anger, we must identify its roots. This anger is not limited to current events and day-to-day realities. Rather, it brings into play "historical memories" fueled by anger that has been accumulated, vicariously, as a result of situations and suffering experienced by past generations of African Americans from the slave period to the present.

This "multi-generational anger" is:

Not event specific and is pervasive.
•Often results in excessive explosiveness.
•Usually not understood by the person or others effected.
•Not responsive to traditional anger management curriculum.
•Often projected inwardly through dysfunctional behaviors (i.e.: substance abuse, crime, under achievement).
•Physically and psychologically damaging.
•Misinterpreted by others as a genetic pre-disposition toward violence. http://www.fcnetwork.org/fatherhood/gooding.html

You think Black women aren’t angry too? Julianne Malveaux explains why she think Black women get angry. Read a little of what Julianne wrote about Black women and anger:

“Anger is a sign of something gone wrong. Every hell-raiser knows that. What alert Black woman living in this racist society doesn't have a right to be angry? Walk down any city street and see strong and healthy Black men out of work. Who doesn't feel a burst of anger? Flip through the pages of our federal budget and look at the tax dollars spent on MX missiles and B-1 bombers, not food or books. Isn't that cause for anger? Think about Michael Griffith chased to his death by white men in Howard Beach. Anger. The U.S. Supreme Court trying, again, to snatch our hard-won civil rights by challenging affirmative-action set-asides by asking for "proof" of discrimination in the recent Richmond vs. Croson ruling. Anger. Or what about the thousands of Black women who crave marriage and families and the forces that conspire to keep them from having them? Anger. And that Bill Moyers special "The Vanishing Family: Crisis in Black America," and the arrogance implicit in his wishful thinking? Anger. Or workfare programs, some of which look like a new kind of slavery, being implemented in city after city? Anger--a reaction to something very wrong. But there are a lot of wrongs in this unjust world, and as I get older and wiser I consider the advice of people who say "Pick your battles."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_n1_v20/ai_7510211

I shared all of that to say that I can understand why there may be so many disagreements in our discussions here. As much as some of us may want to focus more on the positive side of life, our reality is, we have good reason to be angry. But as we can also see from these articles, anger can contribute to our self-destruction more so than the reasons we are angry.

So, if you're angry, you may have every right to be so. However, we need to learn about ways to handle this emotion and channel it in ways so that it doesn’t hurt or destroy us.

Let’s keep the discussions flowing, but let’s not suffer from misplaced rage at the same time by senselessly attacking each other. Instead of getting angry, let’s become better teachers so that we can all benefit from the lessons and information so many people have to offer.

Peace,
Queenie :spinstar:

Wow, interesting article Queenie... It reminds me of the theory sister Dr. Joy Leary has championed, called Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome... Many times it has been mentioned here at Destees, that we Africans have never had the time and space to fully heal from our ordeals, and those ordeals have not yet ceased... It will take many hundreds of years of non-oppressive, non-stressful living for us to fully heal, so where do we go from that???

One thing I agree on, and stand in solidarity with, as regards many at Destees who say that all of this stems from White Supremacy... I understand them to be saying that we cannot be putting this on ourselves, as if we are some aberrationally predisposed species, who had no external pressures that brought all of this garbage into existence... This, all too often, is what happens when these White, and some Black, psychologists start creating these terms to describe a phenomenon they dont' understand... One must, as brother Minister Malcolm X once said, get to the ROOT of the problem before you can adequately address it... Now, since we know the root of the problem is indisputably White Supremacy, it means we are going to have to deal with that monster before we can experience the normalcy missing from Black life for the past 400 years...

That might seem like a daunting task, but it is not... When we build our own infrastructure, most of our troubles will go away... By that, I mean, when you can provide for your own education, employment, and other essential services, folk tend to leave you alone... Power recognizes Power, and steps lightly around it... White folks will begin to step mad lightly around us when they KNOW that we can, and will protect ourselves and our own... Crazy negro folks in our communities will step lightly around Black Folks when we have built our own infrastructure... Sorry for rambling, sister Queenie - but notice I keep WHEN, not if...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back