Pan-Africanism : Is Smokey Robinson African?

I don't think smokey in any way was trying to disconnect from Africa. I think he clearly stated that he appreciated Africa and was proud of his descent he was also saying that he appreciates what he is now in all aspects and that is an american. If were going to there and say that the first humans derived from Africa than everyone as far as we know can call themselves African American

My two cents......

Calling myself an African American is a slap in the face to the ancestors who were dragged on American shores because they did not choose to migrate to this country, they DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE AMERICAN IN ANY WAY. But their decendents were brainwashed to forget Africa. Therefore, we are a lost people searching for an identity. "African-American" only connects me with "Africa" half way. Trying to be two at once...Like Malcolm said "you're not an American, you are an African who has been living in Amerikkka for 400 years". I do not knock those who choose to call themselves African-American but when you try to bash those who prefer just to call themselves "African"....I believe you're trying to disconnet me from our brothas and sistas at home and that's apart of the Willie Lynch mentality, separating me by adding the term "American"..Oh and as for that lame excuse "if you're going back to your origin, then white people also can claim Africa"....People, we are ONLY removed from our mother for 400 years, that's like a month compared to how long these non-black races are removed. Plus, I don't see whites breaking their necks to claim Africa and if they are, I don't think they have the right to, as much destruction they have done to 'her'..I don't think so..

TO: Renata

QUOTE: (Renata) “…,but still we are not African no longer we're Brasilians,…”

Peace, Renata

I have always heard Latin Americans and/or Afro-Latinos talk about their diverse melting-pot cultures. I have a very diverse personal family of Africans, Afro-Latinos and of course African (North) Americans. I have heard this racial and cultural unity stuff before, from my Afro-Latino relatives, but when I look at the facts and press them for a more honest opinion; the usual denials about racial discrimination and the romanticizing about their happy all inclusive societies, comes to an end.

This idea that Brazilians have this non-bias racial culture is at best, UNTRUE. I don’t have to get into a long dissertation on this subject, for the information and research about racism in Brazil is overwhelming. Matters of fact, Afro-Brazilian writers and scholars have a good grip on the subject of racial dilemmas in Brazil and have written about it, extensively. Outside of the Africans born in North America, the people of African descendant in Brasil are some the most politically, culturally, and racially aware Africans in the so-called New World/Western Hemisphere.

Read – BRAZIL MIXTURE OR MASSACRE? Essays in the Genocide of a Black People by Abdias do Nascimento, translated Elisa Larkin Nascimento, 2nd edition, 1989, First Majority Press

Answer to thread question – Smokey Robinson, is whatever he think he is.

“SO THINK A MAN, SO IS HE”.

ASHE,

Sun Ship

Smokey Robinson

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this but just wanted a chance to express a thought and/or opinion.

I liked Smokey's poem on DPJ because it allowed me to see another side to our presence - not only here but in the world.

It is true that we ALL have a connection to Africa. However, how comfortable would many of us feel or be made to feel? The things we take for granted here (too numerous to mention) may not be present in Africa. Also, we are connected historically. Presently, precious few Black Americans feel connected to Africa. I've made a conscious decison to stay in tuned with what is going on, but I don't know that the masses have.

We talk Africa but we don't speak African. We don't know anything about the language, aside from the few that have been imported into our daily lexicon.

Let's get busy right here in Amerikkka! African-American? Sheeit, I'm just plain 'ol Black!

One!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back