Pan-Africanism : Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

Orisons

Jan 14, 2005
London in the United Kingdom
Occupation
Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
QUOTE="Clyde C Coger Jr, post: 931175, member: 12718"]
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

My dashiki shouldn't offend you

... This is why it hurts when native Africans criticize black American attempts to regain a lost portion of ourselves. Writer Zipporah Gene, who identifies as both British and Nigerian, wrote a post earlier this month claiming that black Americans can appropriate African culture -- since we are American -- by wearing tribal garb to be "trendy." Backlash to her piece led her to write an equally obtuse follow-up declaring that, based on her own experiences, it is unnecessary for black people to showcase their Africanness: ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/is-it-cultural-appropriation-when-africans-wear-jordans_56099b3be4b0768126fea24d?ref=yfp

STEPHEN CHERNIN VIA GETTY IMAGES
Members of the Restoration Dance Company perform a traditional African dance during a Kwanzaa festival at the Museum of Natural History December 28, 2002 in New York City. Kwanzaa, started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, is an African-American cultural holiday celebrating family and community.

[/QUOTE
Clyde C Coger Jr. PEOPLE, when Kwanzaa was started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga wouldn’t it have made more sense to utilize one of the most popular African languages like Yoruba, Swahili or Xhosa etc as opposed to just making one up, in that do we need to create yet another African ethnic/linguistic group when we already have nearly 1000 within Africa today?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: