Pan-Africanism : Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

QUOTE="Clyde C Coger Jr, post: 931175, member: 12718"]
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

My dashiki shouldn't offend you

... This is why it hurts when native Africans criticize black American attempts to regain a lost portion of ourselves. Writer Zipporah Gene, who identifies as both British and Nigerian, wrote a post earlier this month claiming that black Americans can appropriate African culture -- since we are American -- by wearing tribal garb to be "trendy." Backlash to her piece led her to write an equally obtuse follow-up declaring that, based on her own experiences, it is unnecessary for black people to showcase their Africanness: ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...wear-jordans_56099b3be4b0768126fea24d?ref=yfp

560ac2c91900003000fdea6e.jpeg

STEPHEN CHERNIN VIA GETTY IMAGES
Members of the Restoration Dance Company perform a traditional African dance during a Kwanzaa festival at the Museum of Natural History December 28, 2002 in New York City. Kwanzaa, started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, is an African-American cultural holiday celebrating family and community.

[/QUOTE
Clyde C Coger Jr. PEOPLE, when Kwanzaa was started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga wouldn’t it have made more sense to utilize one of the most popular African languages like Yoruba, Swahili or Xhosa etc as opposed to just making one up, in that do we need to create yet another African ethnic/linguistic group when we already have nearly 1000 within Africa today?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

I've had Africans tell me this very thing. They have gone as far to demand when I'm wearing something tribal to change my clothes.

Let's face it. Africa is a continent and not a country. And we (most of us) are far too removed from it to claim it's heritage like that. We don't know what we're wearing. We have no connection to the meaning.

But I still rock my African garb....
If what you say is true, then that is proof that alot of our people have a very long re-acculturation process ahead of them! Because culture is the sustaining force of any people! It is the glue that binds a people together, so that they can do whatever it takes to survive and thrive in this mean ole world made by Europeans!!!

Last edited:
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

My dashiki shouldn't offend you

... This is why it hurts when native Africans criticize black American attempts to regain a lost portion of ourselves. Writer Zipporah Gene, who identifies as both British and Nigerian, wrote a post earlier this month claiming that black Americans can appropriate African culture -- since we are American -- by wearing tribal garb to be "trendy." Backlash to her piece led her to write an equally obtuse follow-up declaring that, based on her own experiences, it is unnecessary for black people to showcase their Africanness: ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...wear-jordans_56099b3be4b0768126fea24d?ref=yfp

560ac2c91900003000fdea6e.jpeg

STEPHEN CHERNIN VIA GETTY IMAGES
Members of the Restoration Dance Company perform a traditional African dance during a Kwanzaa festival at the Museum of Natural History December 28, 2002 in New York City. Kwanzaa, started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, is an African-American cultural holiday celebrating family and community.

African-American is an oxymoron! There is no such creature unless you have a split personality, which will eventually drive you insane! Stop running from your Afrikan ethnic identity. You can't outrun it!!!!!!!!! Smile

I've had Africans tell me this very thing. They have gone as far to demand when I'm wearing something tribal to change my clothes.

Let's face it. Africa is a continent and not a country. And we (most of us) are far too removed from it to claim it's heritage like that. We don't know what we're wearing. We have no connection to the meaning.

But I still rock my African garb....
Those to lazy to research the meaning of the traditional dress are lost in the sauce! To identify as British and Nigerian is sad indeed! The British named the country Nigeria! Sista is obviously confused about our history and culture! Put her on the "pay her no mind list"! Smile

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back