Pan-Africanism : Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Why It Isn't Possible For Black Americans To Appropriate African Culture

My dashiki shouldn't offend you

... This is why it hurts when native Africans criticize black American attempts to regain a lost portion of ourselves. Writer Zipporah Gene, who identifies as both British and Nigerian, wrote a post earlier this month claiming that black Americans can appropriate African culture -- since we are American -- by wearing tribal garb to be "trendy." Backlash to her piece led her to write an equally obtuse follow-up declaring that, based on her own experiences, it is unnecessary for black people to showcase their Africanness: ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/is-it-cultural-appropriation-when-africans-wear-jordans_56099b3be4b0768126fea24d?ref=yfp

STEPHEN CHERNIN VIA GETTY IMAGES
Members of the Restoration Dance Company perform a traditional African dance during a Kwanzaa festival at the Museum of Natural History December 28, 2002 in New York City. Kwanzaa, started in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, is an African-American cultural holiday celebrating family and community.

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
I've had Africans tell me this very thing. They have gone as far to demand when I'm wearing something tribal to change my clothes.

Let's face it. Africa is a continent and not a country. And we (most of us) are far too removed from it to claim it's heritage like that. We don't know what we're wearing. We have no connection to the meaning.

But I still rock my African garb....

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Not to be disrespectful, but who cares what anyone thinks about what I choose to wear. I use to wear dashikis back in the day and turbans. I stil do occasionally.
I was given a beautiful dashiki recently by a girlfriend from Gahna. In exchange I gave her a lace suite she liked from my closet. I really loved that suite. She couldn't get one from her homeland. I parted with it because she is my friend.
I wear dashikis around the house as lounge wear. I wear turbans any where.

Am I misunderstanding the article.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Yes, we've been anglicized as a people.

I've had Africans tell me this very thing. They have gone as far to demand when I'm wearing something tribal to change my clothes.

Let's face it. Africa is a continent and not a country. And we (most of us) are far too removed from it to claim it's heritage like that. We don't know what we're wearing. We have no connection to the meaning.

But I still rock my African garb....

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

No, you didn't misunderstand the article. We are a proud people and no one can tell us not to be who we are.

Not to be disrespectful, but who cares what anyone thinks about what I choose to wear. I use to wear dashikis back in the day and turbans. I stil do occasionally.
I was given a beautiful dashiki recently by a girlfriend from Gahna. In exchange I gave her a lace suite she liked from my closet. I really loved that suite. She couldn't get one from her homeland. I parted with it because she is my friend.
I wear dashikis around the house as lounge wear. I wear turbans any where.

Am I misunderstanding the article.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Sister ... what did you decide? How will we be moving forward? I've been working, I am excited. I Love You! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
One-Hundredd wrote on Destee's profile.
Hope you having a happy holidayz