Pan Africanism : Is Smokey Robinson African?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by NNQueen, May 22, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    I was having a conversation with someone yesterday about Africa. He's a Black man nearing retirement. I asked him whether he had ever given consideration to living his retirement years in Africa and this look of shock and horror came across his face.

He then began to tell me about seeing Smokey Robinson recently on some program...he couldn't remember the name of the program but it sounded as though it was a poetry jam because Smokey was reciting poetry and his theme was about why he wouldn't live in Africa, knew nothing about Africa, doesn't consider himself as an African...etc.

Does anyone know what that program could have been and did you see it?

I'm curious as to whether this guy's interpretation is correct or not.

2. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Liv, you raise some good points and offer much to think about. I too believe that charity begins at home and home is where the heart is. I admit that I do romanticize Africa and my dreams of her. I realize too that I don't know nearly enough about her and the struggles or the achievements that come forth out of Africa. But I feel it's important to know and to learn because I can't separate myself from her completely. I know this isn't what you meant but I'm just thinking about what you wrote as I type.

Personally, I think that all of us have something to offer Africa, whether it's the skills we've learned from a trade or a craft that we've been blessed to have or just a simple desire to reach out and offer emotional or spiritual support. True, the hard truth is that Africa can stand to benefit from the technical skills of many who have those skills. As compared to America, sure the economic, political and maybe even cultural truths might be discouraging to some but I think it all depends on from which vantage point a person views the situation--is the glass half empty or is it half full?

I think for most it does take a great deal of soul searching and private and public debate about the issues involved, the changes that will be required in each person contemplating such a transition and a host of emotional attachments that people will have to assess.

Africa may not be for everyone...it may not be considered "home" for even many Blacks--and that's ok. We need to spread out and cover the planet to lend our talents and expertise in all parts of the world. But for many of us, we are thirsty for something more that only the wells in Africa can quench.

Thanks Liv. You offer good food for thought and interesting debate!

Peace.

3. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Haki aint as progressive as he used to be. (neither is wade nobles, molefi asante and a host of others who seem more into their tenure and professorships than their ideologies. lol)

yeah smokey african. but we dont claim him. lol (not in the diaspora or africa)

now i could crack a joke about his old crackhead habits. but i wont.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    hummmmmmmmm!!!

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    [email protected]

6. FirstLady2004

FirstLady2004 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    THe name of the program was Russell SImmons presents Def Poetry. It comes on HBO late at night around 11PM or later

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Thank you First Lady 2004!

8. Margalo

Margalo New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I know where to find the poem.

The poem that Smokey Robinson recited was on Russell Simons Presents: Def Poetry on HBO. It comes on around 11:00 p.m. if you live in the Central Time zone. I was told that it's called Black Arfrican-American.

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Thanks Margalo and welcome to the forums. :)

10. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    I saw him on Def Poetry Jam I didnt' agree w/ the entire poem but I thought most of it was on point.