Black People Politics : Cornel West on Black Journalists: "We're in the age of the sell-out"

Hi Sami_RaMaati ... good to be sharing with you in a discussion! :)

I didn't see the above, but this Brother is at the top of the so-called game.

He walks the halls of academia, in a position to make great examples, and he's calling other black folk names.

I think he has a greater responsibility to do things in a manner that can be easily and proudly emulated.

I'm sure he has done this very thing somewhere along the way ... but resorting to calling names?!

It should be beneath him, it's just not a good look. He can do better than this. All of us can.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Hi Destee! What a pretty picture!!

Cornell West isn't really at the top of anything but being a shill for the progressive wing of white supremacy. I wouldn't follow that fool to the grocery store.

As far as being free to set an example in academia, you must understand that despite all the pretenses of "academic freedom," these colleges and universities are just as repressive and racist as other white institutions in society, and Cornell West knows this, so he's not going to set any examples of anything that's useful to Black people. Instead, he'll remain a safe negro who picks easy targets to criticize (this time it's Black journalists). I'll change my opinion about him when I see him go after jews with the same resolve that he's going after other black people.

All these Black public intellectuals pretty much know the game: As long as you don't use your credentials to wake up Black people the direct deposits will continue to fatten your bank account.

Yeah. He was also protesting with jews back in the day, in front of the apollo, against
anti-jew sentiments. Master teacher, john henrik clarke called him, (and gates), a white
behind-kisser. And the way you feel about west, is the way I feel about gates, so I dig it
(though reluctantly, I give the charlatan a pinch of credit on his docu about the
dominican republic's identity issues).

He had a somewhat of a 'wake-up' call back when he dropped his first album. He caught
flack by some dude ( think was a small hat), at cornell univ. He was ultimately displaced
from that school.

I remember the pseudo-hip - hop thing and the way he was bounced out of Hahvahd in spite of all the yt butt kissing he did while he was there. And ditto about Gates. Another fake and phony negro intellectual who threw the entire body of his Black Afrikan ancestors under the bus on the question of a few of them participating the slave trade (and even that he took out of context) while ruining his own reputation (such as it was) in order to cover up for a white boy's (Ben Affleck) ancestors' ownership of slaves.

Hi Destee! What a pretty picture!!

Cornell West isn't really at the top of anything but being a shill for the progressive wing of white supremacy. I wouldn't follow that fool to the grocery store.

As far as being free to set an example in academia, you must understand that despite all the pretenses of "academic freedom," these colleges and universities are just as repressive and racist as other white institutions in society, and Cornell West knows this, so he's not going to set any examples of anything that's useful to Black people. Instead, he'll remain a safe negro who picks easy targets to criticize (this time it's Black journalists). I'll change my opinion about him when I see him go after jews with the same resolve that he's going after other black people.

All these Black public intellectuals pretty much know the game: As long as you don't use your credentials to wake up Black people the direct deposits will continue to fatten your bank account.

Hi Sami_RaMaati ... :wave: :wave: :wave:

Oh Boy! I'm getting nervous at the thought of actually getting to engage in discussion with you!

Thanks for the compliment ... :mirror:

I'm nervous because I think I'm about to challenge some of what you're saying and my discussions skills are rusty at best and I don't wanna say the wrong thing, or get kilt right here in the middle of the open forum ... :lol: ... but it's exciting too because I am reminded of great discussions gone-by and the formidable debater I am engaging with ... but nonetheless ... here i go ... :)

I suppose it could be argued that he is not at the top of anything but he boasts an impressive list of accomplishments. He has ventured further from the slave plantation than most of us as it relates to education, profession, and physical address no doubt. He has had the opportunity to be in academic learning environments (teaching bright minds), at the highest levels of formal education the world has to offer. Again, it's more than most of us can lay claim to. While it may not be at the top, it's certainly not at the bottom ... unless you have compelling argument to make me think otherwise.

It's what most every parent wants for their child, to have a good education, graduate from the best schools.

I hear this conversation about higher education and how controlled it is by the system of white supremacy, but I don't think that is reason enough alone to discount it. Every level of life is inundated with racism white supremacy. If we are to discount the work of Sisters and Brothers at that level simply due to RWS, then don't we have to discount all of the efforts of Sisters and Brothers wherever it reigns? I think it's a "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" type of thinking and we lose too much going that way.

I happen to personally know people in higher academia that are wonderful. That are real. That are truly trying to make a difference and pave the way for the young bright minds coming behind them. Opening doors, creating opportunities. I have seen it personally, so while there may be some that are doing no more than they must, or only what another allows, there are others fighting in every way they can to make a difference.

There will be some in academia that do nothing for their people, just like there will be some in the ghettos of america that do nothing. It doesn't automatically mean that no one in those places will do nothing righteous or just, because one or two will not.

I'm reminded of our Enslaved Ancestors and the open disgust of RWS during their time. If not for them pushing through those most awful times, we would not even know each other. Even in the midst of the racism white supremacy, they fought to make a difference, to be an example. If they could do it there, we can do it anywhere.

I'm a firm believer that each one of us has the capacity and responsibility to set an example. To show young people that they can make a difference because they can see us making a difference. The difference may be small. It may just be an example of how to smile through the storm. Whatever it is, we all have the capacity and responsibility to do that, even Cornel West.

I Love You Sami_RaMaati .... thank you for being here with me all of these years, making the great difference that I know you have, setting the best example, encouraging more folk than we can ever know ... just by them getting to read your words and wisdom.

We can all be an example to another and it matters not one's lot in life.

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back