Black People Politics : Cornel West Delivers Blistering Takedown of Ta-Nehisi Coates—Michael Eric Dyson Responds

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073

DO DR. CORNEL WEST’S COMMENTS ABOUT TA-NEHISI COATES’ NEW BOOK PROVE HE’S A HATER?

You can read the entire post here. As you can imagine, Dr. West’s critiques of Coates weren’t well received. Some called Dr. West an outright hater who is still bitter about not getting an invite to President Obama’s 2008 inauguration. Others were left confused by Dr. West’s critique considering that Coates has a long, archived history of being critical of President Obama. Among the confused was William Jelani Cobb, associate professor of history at the University of Connecticut and staff writer for The New Yorker. Cobb, in the comment section of the post, wrote that Dr. West’s attacks on Coates were “flat-out wrong.” In particular he writes: “This is disappointing on multiple levels, not the least of which is that you’re using your platform to launch a critique that is not simply beneath you but fundamentally dishonest.”

[​IMG]
    Source: WENN

http://madamenoire.com/548341/do-dr...-ta-nehisi-coates-new-book-prove-hes-a-hater/

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073

David Brooks’s Letter to Ta-Nehisi Coates About Race

[​IMG]

... David Brooks just couldn’t help himself. He just had to tell Mr. Coates where he was wrong.

The African-Americans I know would say this drives them crazy when they talk about being black in America. Over and over, whites ask their opinion about their experience of race, and once they get it proceed to disagree ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/o...tter-to-ta-nehisi-coates-about-race.html?_r=1

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073

The Dream Never Came True

Ta-Nehisi Coates' 'Between the World and Me' is vital reading at this moment in America.

[​IMG]
    The grit in his writing is firmly grounded

... In his just-released book "Between the World and Me," Ta-Nehisi Coates suggests Baldwin's timeline was too optimistic. Modeled after "The Fire Next Time," "Between the World and Me"is an extended letter to Coates's 14-year-old son Samori, written as police brutality against young black men has captured, at least for the moment, the attention of white Americans. For Samori – and for the reader – Coates has little comfort to offer. He describes his reaction when his son broke down crying at the news that the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown would not be indicted: "I didn't hug you, and I didn't comfort you, because I thought it would be wrong to comfort you." ...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...e-world-and-me-vital-reading-in-america-today

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  6. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    also spotlight the book

give the young fella props

start a thread about that too

fyi

• Disrespectful Disrespectful x 1
    • List
  7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073

As soon as the Destee Network is up and running, we plan on contacting Coates and several other authors, so that their works, along with ours, can be displayed for networking purposes.

brown_h0rnet
    WARRIOR

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  8. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    [QUOTE="Clyde C Coger Jr, post: 924003, member: 12718" ...

The Dream Never Came True

Ta-Nehisi Coates' 'Between the World and Me' is vital reading at this moment in America.

[​IMG]

The grit in his writing is firmly grounded

... In his just-released book "Between the World and Me," Ta-Nehisi Coates suggests Baldwin's timeline was too optimistic.

Modeled after "The Fire Next Time," "Between the World and Me"is an extended letter to Coates's 14-year-old son Samori, written as police brutality against young black men has captured, at least for the moment, the attention of white Americans.

For Samori – and for the reader – Coates has little comfort to offer. He describes his reaction when his son broke down crying at the news that the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown would not be indicted: "I didn't hug you, and I didn't comfort you, because I thought it would be wrong to comfort you." ...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...e-world-and-me-vital-reading-in-america-today

/QUOTE]
    Clyde, aren’t Cornel West’s motives with regard to so publicly attacking Ta-Nehisi Coates very transparent with regard to totally belittle/cut down someone he views as a “young pretender” to the position of being a prominent public spokesperson for African Americans Mr West obviously feels is his domain/kingdom?

I completely agree with William Jelaini Cobb’s critique of West’s attack on Coates being wrong on many levels the most obvious of which is the fact that the attack is so PUBLIC whereas as an elder [in years as opposed to spiritual and intellectual maturity] shouldn’t West have contacted Coates and discretely offered his critique as [I did 20 years ago to the young poets on the Black scene here in London with regard to getting skills/a profession as opposed to expecting brilliant ART to feed them] to Coates’s book?

Aren’t WE [the African collective] IN BIG TROUBLE when our alleged elite/ intelligentsia like Cornel West [could already be suffering from senile dementia, what was/is he THINKING] so publicly display their ultra competitive crabs in a barrel mentality, creating so many opportunities [as exemplified by what the FBI’s Co-Intel Pro did to the Black Panthers] for our so consistently maliciously malevolent enemy to continue to divide and rule us?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. dtownbrown

dtownbrown Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +19
    good morning and this is chuck again ok

and I must admit being disappointed by your reply

smh

fyi

10. dtownbrown

dtownbrown Active Member MEMBER