Black People : RESOLVE 1

transquestion_lights_t.gif

DO WE HAVE A WINNER FOR RESOLVE ONE?

All Non-participating members please judge!

What Destee Debater supplied a response you agreed with?
Who has the strongest argument for or against the resolve?

building bridges for empires

Kemetstry said:
Not only that, blacks generate over $800 billion a year. Why go somewhere else and not leverage our active wealth here 1st? We have more wealth than any other country outside of the industrialized west. In fact, we generate more money than many in the industrialized west. Why do we need to go to Africa to create an empire? We already have the ability here.

Thus, my opponents views are flawed
:bellydance: :horse:
In my humble opinion, Oprah had the right idea by taking her money and building a school in South Africa. There are of course other American Black owned enterprises who are investing in the wealth and development of the motherland and I believe that is the key.
As Kemestry points out, the economic power of Blacks in America is staggering, the power behind it would be better directed towards the motherland where the diasporia children can transfer the knowledge of being behind the lines to the emerging developments overseas.
There is an interesting documentary produced by the BBC i believe:
http://www.africaopenforbusiness.com/
which shows the enormous potential for investment opportunities in Africa.
Combine the population of the motherland as a market, and the economic wealth +knowledge gained by working directly with the colonializers and the partnership seems obvious and successful.
Also, by taking ourselves into a direct economic relationship, we are better able to produce cross cultural exchanges to slowly re-introduce one another and to soften the impact of cultural shock. Programs for our children and guardians to spend a semester in another country and then to host a child /group in their respective states - the government has been using youth program initiatives for decades to procure valuable knowledge tax free.

Possibly in the further future, a national assembly of African leaders worldwide forming a unique political structure based on the sheer power leveraged from partnership - wild imaginings but a hopeful visualization nonetheless.

Just a short thought on the matter for now

My personal vote is that Keita has answered the question best and his proposal goes to the very heart of the situation both here and abroad so he gets my vote on this resolution

In my humble opinion, Oprah had the right idea by taking her money and building a school in South Africa. There are of course other American Black owned enterprises who are investing in the wealth and development of the motherland and I believe that is the key.
As Kemestry points out, the economic power of Blacks in America is staggering, the power behind it would be better directed towards the motherland where the diasporia children can transfer the knowledge of being behind the lines to the emerging developments overseas.
There is an interesting documentary produced by the BBC i believe:
http://www.africaopenforbusiness.com/
which shows the enormous potential for investment opportunities in Africa.
Combine the population of the motherland as a market, and the economic wealth +knowledge gained by working directly with the colonializers and the partnership seems obvious and successful.
Also, by taking ourselves into a direct economic relationship, we are better able to produce cross cultural exchanges to slowly re-introduce one another and to soften the impact of cultural shock. Programs for our children and guardians to spend a semester in another country and then to host a child /group in their respective states - the government has been using youth program initiatives for decades to procure valuable knowledge tax free.

Possibly in the further future, a national assembly of African leaders worldwide forming a unique political structure based on the sheer power leveraged from partnership - wild imaginings but a hopeful visualization nonetheless.

Just a short thought on the matter for now

My personal vote is that Keita has answered the question best and his proposal goes to the very heart of the situation both here and abroad so he gets my vote on this resolution

Again I ask...Which COUNTRY in Africa? Africa is a CONTINENT, we have to be more specific.

Also, where is Kieta's post?

The very premise of returning to Africa in order that we may be more African and free is flawed for a number of reasons.

#1 Africa is a CONTINENT. It is not a country. Which country will we be able to return to and have the freedom to be us without the bondage of whatever government that already exists in that country?

#2 If we are not willing to pull together HERE where we are presently living, what rationale is employed to believe that we will somehow begin to majically pull together on our move to Africa?

#3 The protection/defense of a nation depends, almost entirely, on the will of people to die for the causes of that nation. Umm, last I checked afro-americans are not even willing to LIVE for their own people here in the states much less DIE for them abroad.

#4 All power in this world are derived from 2 things: Trade(natural resources/money) and Guns(military threat). Although we are very very wealthy in terms of the amount of money we control...we are TERRIBLE at using that money to produce anything. We are consumers, not producers and unless we are producing our own ways to create trade and additionally produce our own guns/bombs/planes/WMD's we do not stand a chance at protecting ourselves.

#5 All that is to say...WE ARE NOT READY...NOR DOES IT LOOK LIKE WE ARE EVEN HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

"In order to free ourselves from the oppression of our enslavers then, it is absolutely necessary for the Afro-American to restore communication with Africa . . ." Malcolm X

We haven't even done that yet.
i couldn't have said it better myself,we ain't going nowhere but back to work in the morning,why because admit it or not we're spoiled[yes spoiled-i didn't studder]we come here a cry about how bad we got it here,ok we know our history here but let me tell ya'll the real truth as it has been stated africa is a continent with many countries and check this out[EACH HAS IT'S OWN SET OF LAWS]and the first time you're stopped on the street for breaking one of em you're gonna start looking for the nearest american embassy,or try to find the nearest airport to take you back[HOME]and let me hip you to something else lifelong habits are hard to break you might be surprised to find that many africans won't welcome you with open arms and the first time you come with that[I DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS I'M AN AMERICAN]stuff well let's just say i don't think it's gonna go over too well,i've had more than one african say to me that we black americans are arrogant and this is from africans from different countries,we need to stop thinking of africa with the notion that all our troubles are gonna magically melt away as soon as we touch the shores-wake up!

We are better off staying here in America and fighting for our rights as Americans, than going back to Africa and fighting for our rights to be African.

The Challenges Facing Diaspora Africans Who Return To Africa
F. Wafula Okumu

"....Despite leaving with enthusiasm bordering on missionary zeal, some have been disappointed by the chill reception from the South African blacks. Writing in the South African newspaper, The Sunday Independent, Charles T. Moses, a former adviser to Governor Mario Cuomo lamented that "Many of us have been lied to, misled and abused by our South African brothers and sisters, usually out of jealousy and ignorance."

Moses's article prompted Felicia Mabuza-Suttle, South Africa's Oprah Winfrey, to hold two one-hour programs on the tension between African Americans and black South Africans. The South African panel, which consisted of President Nelson Mandela's daughter, Makaziwe Mandela, openly accused African Americans of three things. First, the South Africans lambasted the African Americans who go to South Africa with an attitude of patronizing Africans. They said these African Americans feel that they are doing South Africa a favor of rescuing it after the white brain drain. Secondly, the South Africans claimed, African Americans come to their country with a belief that they are owed something by black South Africans for leading the anti-apartheid movement in the United States. And third, they accused African Americans of socializing among themselves and being aloof from the black South Africans.

Many African Americans on reaching South Africa expect to be embraced as brothers and sisters who have returned home. However, the hugs ends at the airport. After finding out that the only common thing they share is their skin color, pronounced differences emerges based on culture, language, lifestyle and expectations. For example, most of the African Americans have moved into the fanciest white neighborhoods where they live in palatial homes with maids and pools.

The emotional feeling that overwhelm African Americans when they land is sometimes misunderstood by black South African who do not understand how one can claim "oh, I'm home. I'm home" in a land where one has no family members. This misunderstanding is compounded by the fact that the new immigrants do not know anything about African cultures. Worse, many do not make an effort to be absorbed into African cultures. Worst of all, some want to be accepted and respected as they are- Americans...."

http://www.theperspective.org/diaspora.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back