Black People : YOU HAVE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT BEING BLACK: RESOLVE 3

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    THE GREAT DEBATERS OF DESTEE: RESOLVE 3

Afrocentrics, Pro-Blacks, "Conscious" Blacks, Pan-Africans, Black -Nationalists - all of these groups have the wrong idea about being Black. These groups seem to think that we need to have the same cultural identity in order to survive. How is this true when so many in America and in the world survive with no cultural identity? What does knowing a few words in Swahili have do with my Blackness? What does wearing kente cloth have to do with who I am as a Black person in America? Absolutely nothing. Black unity is not achieved through the random education of African history, under the false banner of Black leadership. How can I unify with something I do not identify? Make no mistakes about it. I am Black. I am proud to be Black. But my knowledge of my history, or my lack thereof is not what creates my existence as a Black person in America. A few African statues in the corner and a few books on a shelf does not change or create who I am. We are fighting too hard to be Afrocentrics, Pro-Blacks, "Conscious" Blacks, Pan-Africans, Black Nationalists, when just being Black in America is a fight in and of itself.

[​IMG]

Rules: Please quote a known source, book, link, person- or simply quote yourself to address the resolve. You can be for our against the resolve. Remember if you quote yourself, a member can challenge your claim. If so you will have to defend your claim with a "personal" experience. The world is your audience.

Those who do not participate in the debate are the Judges, simply post in the thread stating who you are agreeing with or the statement that best challenges or supports the resolve.

Everyone is a Winner here! But one name and one person will be celebrated for their selective skill.

2. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    "The secret Europeans discovered early in their history is that *culture* carries the rules for thinking and that if you can "impose" your culture on your victims, you could limit the creativity of their vision, destroying their ability to act with will and intent and in their own interest."

-Dr. Marimba Ani-

3. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    In Resolve

There is no way we could ever come into an existence with a true African Self Being, remaining is this current "American" state.
    State being both ways
    Our Disposition
    and
    Geographically wise

It is inevitable, the fight is to great a battle
    In order for a shift or change to occur
    We must be rooted
    Not conveniently Displaced

4. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    in agreement with this

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

the author of this quote a tyrant.....

5. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    I see the above mentioned groups defending our freedom to define ourselves, as positive or helping black ppl express them selves differently than whites or how we are expected to look or act. We don't all have to be good dancers or be good in basketball, some of us want to be the next great inventer, or a wise professor. Also we all are taught history in school, have black ppl contributed to the history taught in school? Of course we did. Who is gonna address that my children should be taught about black ppl's contributions as well. And be taught this within and outside the parameters of the shortest month of the year.

I'm stopping here

side bar
    I hope I'm doing this right. If not let me know. :sleep:

6. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    can i cast two votes?

I agree with BOTH Menefer and Platinumillity1!

Who makes the BEST argument:?..now that is difficult because in the REsolve, several points come up.

Menefer best challenges the notion of the importance of cultural identity and the faulty impact of living a foriegn identity.

while Princess Platinum loudly rebutts the notion that Afreekans, while in amerikkka, can effectively live thier true culture!

can I do that:?:
    let M.E. check the rules

After checking the rules..ummmmm...
    :hearts2:

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    [​IMG]

Everyone is on point.

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I disagree on a note. All other people in America are here culturally intact except those of us who arrived here via slavery.. So no matter how pro black or african centered anyone is, we have a right to that. If we are not looking at the world and life through "African Eyes" with an "African Mind", then who eyes and mind are we using or have we been conditioned to use? Culturally we have an entire continent that we can freely choose to culturally connect with....and those of us who understand history also understand that although we did not all practice the same culturally speaking, we had cultural continuity...which in essence means that our values were consistent. Black is nothing more than a color. It does not denote land, language, culture or spiritual practices. So what we should all be striving for is the reconnection and reaffirmation of our African reality...and that is as expansive as the universe!

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

:terrific: :terrific: :terrific:

10. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    YES...and that seems to integrate and summarize both W.K. Menefer and Princess Platinum!

So...MetaSaience....who are the 'score-keepers':?:

:hearts2: