Poetry Discussion : Poetic Etiquette - Please Read!

thanks for the heads up - as a newbie it is nice to know that what the cultural expectations are and i appreciate the peaceful vibe accompanying the "unofficial rules" reminder. this is a vibe that is lacking from everyday life in general, and it is hard to foster a truly creative environment without it...much love, blessings and peace to all
blakrok

My 2 cents

I'm new to your forum and enjoying it. I think adding the Etiquette is quite useful.

It is always gratifying to receive feedback for writers.

However, I think "feedback" needs to be clarified. I thought it fair to do some browsing of other members' work and added feedback to their "flows". In one instance though I clearly expressed appreciation for a member's piece, I added a SUGGESTION (obviously subjective) that I thought might strengthen the work. I got soundly blistered by the writer! Now I took this in stride because 1) my skin is THICK! 2) I thought I may have misunderstood the forum. 3) Plus I know how prickly we can be abt anything construed as criticism to our work.

So clarify for me, WHAT IS FEEDBACK IS IN THIS FORUM? Does this mean that if it isn't all glowing, positive vibes, that there is a problem?

I can assure you if there are pieces that I don't like at all, I WON'T PUT ANY COMMENT but...

I am a firm believer in BALANCED CRITIQUING OF WORK (you know, what works for you, what doesn't and WHY) rather than "criticism" which are definitely negative vibes. That's the only way we will grow as writers.

Personally, I don't have a problem with others seeing the feedback. Aren't we here to learn from each other? If this makes you really feel uncomfortable, maybe say something to that effect at the bottom of the post.

I can only speak for our writers from the Caribbean, but we've discovered that in the right fora that this really allows you to grow as an artist. If you are really serious about your work, you have to justify every word, every line, every punctuation mark. We've done this in group sessions (not online though).
Why? It really makes you think about what you are doing.
Why else? Think about the next generation of writers who might analyse your work. What if they have the opportunity to talk to you and YOU don't even know what went into it?

With receiving balanced critiques, you don't HAVE to accept what one of your peers/mentor is saying. You don't HAVE to change it. Just take what you want from it and go from there.

When offering it, just be sensitive and balanced.

I've done it. It works!

Seawoman
http://groups.msn.com/VOICESBarbadosWritersCollectiveONLINE

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

Seawoman, is as right as rain on a tin roof. I must confess publicly to being the overly sensitive writer in question. Furthermore, let me state for the record my remorse for having reacted as I did. Anytime, someone offers constructive critisism, as opposed to the patronizing sort; it is indeed a good thing. While I feel that critiques are more suitable in a private message, I nonetheless owe the sister an apology. Seawoman, please accept this sincere apology, made public and with the intention of following up via private message. Peace.

1poetsought

:angel1:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back