Black People : Is the term ghetto(as used commonly today)racist?

Is the term "ghetto" racist?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
If you refer to them as symbols and codes rather than "broken English" then are they not simply symbols and codes or shorthand? If you refer to it as Gullah rather than "broken English" then is it not Gullah rather than "broken English?" Do you speak Gullah?

E jo define "broken English." E jo define "unbroken English."

You appear to lack a great deal of knowledge concerning Gullah people, has that isolated you ?/
What is "basic English?"
Are those who exclusively speak French or Spanish isolated?

Elaborate.

What exactly are you suggesting?

Ye alayetumoladi fiye.

Kini is "ghetto" language?

When your not trying to be smart, I can actually hear your perspective and it is valid, IMO.

Is Ghetto a language ? Is Gullah a language ?? Gullah is actually a people , which separates Gullah from "Ghetto". By definition "ghetto " is NOT a people. Even if you want to look at it as a status, at best.

The descendants of West Africans brought in bondage to the coastal islands of South Carolina and Georgia. Gullah is the name of the people that resided there. It used to encompasses the essence of struggle, spirituality, perseverance and old tradition. But what has it turned into now, and why ??

Do I speak Gullah, No. Can I comprehend Gullah, Nope. But nor can most of their descendants !! And that's the point.

Do some ?? I'm sure. Does it mean that their descendants are not educated ?? No

I know folks that are Geechie and are doctors, lawyers etc. But we lost the genuine flavor of the first hand knowledge they had because of the lost language barriers, IMHO.

If you go to the many Gullah festivals it's more commericalize and westernize then just a little bit. ( Now, more white folks participate and more so then the blacks. Neat tourist attraction too. ) ~~ sarcastically speaking ~~

I still participate and attend because of the art work, and SOME of the history. But it has been watered down to say the least . And because those elders that are still living can not speak in a manner that you can understand them , what did that actually do ?? Allowed the caucasians to do what they do best. Change history to what they wanted to be taught . How ??

Because of the language barrier.

So how did that benefit their ancestors , meaning us ?? Not much.

Compared to those from louisiana that spoke a broken french, or Petra. ( May Not be spelled correctly ) Which those blacks from that area know BOTH Languages and passed on both !! What's different from the Gullah language ?? The majority couldn't speak any English !!

So is Gullah actually ghetto, No. Only because they are a people not because of the language. Language is an language because its understood by a particular large group. Ghetto as an language doesn't necessarily fit that definition because each "ghetto" has verbiage of it's own.

If our American ancestors spoke french , they would have pass down that language as well.

Now, how does this help the barrier amongst blacks. I seriously want to know ??

btw: I now reside not too far away from lady's island, Fripp island, St. Helena island and have first hand knowledge of the Gullah people. And am old enough to remember how they went against the grain and why the language and the people themselves helped paved the way.

However, as they died out, they took with them a piece of our genuine history with them. But we have the old southern whites people to fill us in. ~~ sarcastically speaking ~~

Welp, My 2 cents but I'm sure you will form your own opinion.
**wink**

Please try to refrain from the sideway insults. Takes away from YOUR points that was actually worthy.

Peace

Is Ghetto a language ? Is Gullah a language ?? Gullah is actually a people , which separates Gullah from "Ghetto". By definition "ghetto " is NOT a people. Even if you want to look at it as a status, at best.

You offered your interpretation of Gullah language as an example of "broken English" which you reference when speaking of "ghetto" language.

E jo provide an example of "broken English."
E jo provide an example of "unbroken English."

But what has it turned into now, and why ??

It appears you need to familiarize yourself with Gullah people.

Do I speak Gullah, No. Can I comprehend Gullah, Nope.

If you know nothing of their language perhaps you should educate yourself in some reasonable manner before you attempt to categorize their language. Perhaps you should also do this before attempting to use their language.

But nor can most of their descendants !! And that's the point.

It appears that there is a great deal you do not know about Gullah people. Perhaps you should educate yourself on them before you make sweeping generalizations.

I know folks that are Geechie and are doctors, lawyers etc. But we lost the genuine flavor of the first hand knowledge they had because of the lost language barriers, IMHO.

Your statements do not suggest any knowledge of or familiarity with "Geechee" people.

And because those elders that are still living can not speak in a manner that you can understand them , what did that actually do ?? Allowed the caucasians to do what they do best. Change history to what they wanted to be taught . How ??

Your statements suggest no familiarity with or knowledge of that which you reference.

So is Gullah actually ghetto, No. Only because they are a people not because of the language. Language is an language because its understood by a particular large group. Ghetto as an language doesn't necessarily fit that definition because each "ghetto" has verbiage of it's own.

You made reference to "ghetto language" and to "broken English" as "ghetto" language or speech.
You also used your interpretation of Gullah language as an example of "broken English."

E jo provide examples of "ghetto" language.
E jo provide examples of "broken English" and "unbroken English."

Right here in Do or Die Bed Stuy Brooklyn NYC, so it's probably occuring all over Brooklyn, and Harlem as well.

Dear Heart the youth and the streeters, and crimies are tired of the BS and the okiedoke, they have children too that they want to see have a better future,
but they want and need more brothers and sisters like those in the churches and masjids who volunteer to help, to care also

alot of the sisters and brothers in the churches and masjids were "out there" at one time so they know how to speak, "their" language without condesencing, and help point a way out without proselatyzing religion.

remember many Black church have always had "Faith Based Initiatives" from community funds , long before the handing out of plantation money from Bush and co., to the big name publicity houses of Churchianity

I totally agree with what' highlighted in red. I agree that those that walked such a path has much to contribute to our youths. However, it's my opinion it is not the masses that are practicing , exercising and teaching these principles.

I wish I was wrong. Other influences are ruling adults more so our children. The music, sex, sex, sex in the media. There are no love songs just sex songs, presently. The need to fit in. And not examining WHAT are we trying to fit into ?? Parents that are not walking , What they are talking etc.

You know.................... Helping putting together youth groups , We've worked with others organizations. The best programs that have half a chance are ruined by less participation and effort from the BLACK parents.

Yes, The parents that was around with King, Malcolm. Yes, the parents that are from my generation. Why is that ?? Because we put stock in "things' and not in our kids.

In short, From where I'm sitting, It's not the kids. The kids are the way they are because of us.

I actually joined one, of these organizations that you speak of. Why ?? Because the premise, principles and knowledge is on point.

After you made such a comment, I checked out a few things. I wanted to make sure. It's been 2 years since I actually was in B'klyn. So perhaps things are changing for the better, I'm thinking.....................................

I made a few phone calls. And yes, 2 up and coming organizations, are spouting out of B'klyn. That's true enough. But be real, What is going on with these organizations ?? I know, you know.

The same ole thing. In house fighting. Did we not take our eyes off the prize Yet again ?? Why ??

btw: I won't mention there names , As not to taint either because we all need room for correction not judgement. With the hopes that they will get it together soon.

Brother, I am not trying to be a "kill heart". We are ALL frustrated, angry, those that have a raised conscious are getting frustrated with others that just aren't there yet. Forgetting that it wasn't that long ago , We all was in the same BOAT. ( metaphorically speaking ) Trying to simply survive in a better place inside spiritually. But How much do we fuel such division , such confusion, against one another ??

And for the most part it's to serve inward demons that was planted to just feed. smh

"Ghetto" is simply a state of mind that we refuse to get away from. In 2010 perhaps we will talk less and do more.

Not you specifically but US collectively.

Much love, Peace

You offered your interpretation of Gullah language as an example of "broken English" which you reference when speaking of "ghetto" language.

E jo provide an example of "broken English."
E jo provide an example of "unbroken English."

It appears you need to familiarize yourself with Gullah people.

If you know nothing of their language perhaps you should educate yourself in some reasonable manner before you attempt to categorize their language. Perhaps you should also do this before attempting to use their language.

It appears that there is a great deal you do not know about Gullah people. Perhaps you should educate yourself on them before you make sweeping generalizations.

Your statements do not suggest any knowledge of or familiarity with "Geechee" people.

Your statements suggest no familiarity with or knowledge of that which you reference.

You made reference to "ghetto language" and to "broken English" as "ghetto" language or speech.
You also used your interpretation of Gullah language as an example of "broken English."

E jo provide examples of "ghetto" language.
E jo provide examples of "broken English" and "unbroken English."

OOOOOOOOOOkey, dokey !!!

Close enough to the New year to do, the do. lol Peace

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back