Black People : Downlow commercial by Burger-King aired during Raiders game

As for being white, I think the commercial, especially the first one, specifically targets black people/men. But I also think that it's a form of mind control being purported onto any male child who watches either commercial.
It is a case of subliminal identification
, gender role definition, etc.

I watched a documentary - I will go find it and paste it here from YouTube - about advertising and targeting children, branding them, etc. There were some serious differences in the approach of advertisers when it came to black people. In other race-based commercials, the men or boys are always in a pose of aggression over the girls/women. But with commericals targeting black people, the girl/woman is always imposing or the aggressor, and the male is submissive.

I'm glad there are people here who can recognize this trash for what it is. And for those (Gorilla) who cannot, I strongly suggest some research on neurolinguistic programming and gender-role identification, as well as study on subliminals.

Ignorance is not bliss. If you think this type of trash has no affect on a child's mind, then it is no wonder why the world is as it is today. The children deserve better.

I am indebted to your ancestors who from Kmt, explained the psyche of Man in such a way as to understand and expand knowledge of Self. Most people have no clue as to what is being put before them, and put into them. Nor can they understand WHY garbage goes in and garbage comes out - You are what you eat. This is true figuratively, as well as literally.

Protect your kids from this TRASH.

For the most part I agree but there is nothing "subliminal" in the message conveyed in that first BK ad.

It is an overt message. One that is becoming increasingly bolder each day as targeted to Black audiences.

The deeper message here is not even a suggestively "DL"phenomenon. It goes deeper into the imbalance that exists within Black "culture".

I am waiting for the trailers to the next Halle Berry movie. The BK ad is indicative of the split-personality disorder that exists within Black culture. The imbalance between Black men and Black women. The imbalance within the psyche of Black men. The growing confusion over gender roles and gender identification. This is to say, a cultural "schizophrenia" which is heighten by media sensationalism.

The "double consciousness". This is an old theme played out in a de-sexualized context.

And white folks think its funny because to them the confusion they have created within "us" is funny to them. Yet some of us argue as if this comedy of erroers has some merit. So some of us defend it by branding and labeling some of us as "homophobes" in our rejection of the overt nature of the offense. This creates the proverbial catch 22. Damned if we do criticize and damned if we dont. But if we dont speak out then our youth grow up thinking and "feeling" that these types of messages are normal. So they act out accordingly based upon what they view is a cultural norm.

Since all revolutions are essentially cultural in nature, this type of media propagation is essentially counter-revolutionary because it is counter-intuitive and counter-intelligence. It is geared to "dumb down" our most basic human relationships.

No. There is nothing subliminal about this. It is calculated to the very last penny spent on post-production and market distribution.

No one is saying that they aren't trying to sell something, it's obviously a a commercial. The topic is whether or not this hurts the image of black people, and there's also a bit of discussion on whether or not homosexuality is a threat to blacks / society.

These are two separate issues.

In order to keep thread on track how about dealing with the first point and keep the second to another thread.

I am not talking about whether or not homosexuality is a threat to black/society. I dont tend to mix matters of sexuality with cultural/social issues unless they overlap.

The "homosexuality issue" is just one of many which are part of a larger issue and that is the disjointed nature of "black society" or "black culture" and the imbalance which exists within "black culture".

Therefore, I am going to ask you one question based on my last point.

Do you see, feel or believe that "black culture" is under attack by corporate media?

No one is saying that they aren't trying to sell something, it's obviously a a commercial. The topic is whether or not this hurts the image of black people, and there's also a bit of discussion on whether or not homosexuality is a threat to blacks / society.

These are two separate issues.

In order to keep thread on track how about dealing with the first point and keep the second to another thread.

I am not talking about whether or not homosexuality is a threat to black/society. I dont tend to mix matters of sexuality with cultural/social issues unless they overlap.

The "homosexuality issue" is just one of many which are part of a larger issue and that is the disjointed nature of "black society" or "black culture" and the imbalance which exists within "black culture".

Therefore, I am going to ask you one question based on my last point.

Do you see, feel or believe that "black culture" is under attack by corporate media?

The only bed fellow corporate media has is money. It'll turn any trick for a buck. This means it'll sell a bull**** hiphop image to teenagers that doesn't exist, it means it'll sell the idea that women miraculously become incompetent, emotionally unstable, and the sun doesn't shine without their birth control pill, and it means that it'll sell the idea that drinking a certain brand of beer makes you a man of all envy.

It's just one of the many bags of tricks of consumerism in general.

The original thread highlights two particular commercials and brings up homosexuality. Do I feel these commercials promote homosexuality or attack black culture? Nope.

Commercials use an entire different set of tactics to target children. The closest these commercials get is with humor that may appeal to some youngsters, but they'll mostly rely on parents who purchase fast-food and will likely feed it to their children.

If they're targeting children directly for the nagging effect, they use the millions upon millions of dollars they reserve for marketing during child programming and to purchase licenses (transformers, disney cartoons etc) for toys to make fast food "fun". They'll use animation, high-pitch / low pitch voices (depending on if they want really young toddlers or if they want like young boys -- think G.I Joe vs Dora the Explorer). They also play to human physiology and child development. The food is pretty much combinations of fat, sugar, salt, and it's quickly prepared. Little effort...large physiological reward.

If we're about to do a discussion on how diabolical advertising is when it targets children or in general the amount of effort that goes into marketing, I'm prepared to have that discussion, but for now let's stay on topic.

As another poster's signature says, "context is everything."

These people are selling more than product, they're selling a mentality and an idea.

No matter who the advertisers are specifically targeting - the TARGET WILL BE whomsoever watches this trash commerical. And there will be an effect on children - because they haven't the capacity to differentiate truth from fiction. Nor do they have the awareness that would enable them to decode the TRASH being presented before them.

Thinking that because there is no toy jingle or kid's product for sale that there won't be any effect on a child's mind seeing this TRASH is an error.

The only bed fellow corporate media has is money. It'll turn any trick for a buck. This means it'll sell a bull**** hiphop image to teenagers that doesn't exist, it means it'll sell the idea that women miraculously become incompetent, emotionally unstable, and the sun doesn't shine without their birth control pill, and it means that it'll sell the idea that drinking a certain brand of beer makes you a man of all envy.

It's just one of the many bags of tricks of consumerism in general.

The original thread highlights two particular commercials and brings up homosexuality. Do I feel these commercials promote homosexuality or attack black culture? Nope.

I asked a question of which you edited which changed the context and intent of the question.

But that's okay because your answer to your own edited question is sufficient.

Commercials are not simply "bags of tricks". They are the result of TARGETED advertising campaigns directed towards specific cultural and ethnic gropus and demographics.

For example, I have stated in another thread how in major ad campaigns featuring various ethinc groups of black women, the darker skinned sisters are generally depicted to the right of the viewer and the images as they are scanned go from left to right, from the lightest to the darkest.

When I view the first commercial, the images find this SAME and IDENTICAL pattern and if you look at the "body language" of the 3 principals, look again closely at the "body language" and mannerisms of the darkest brother to the farthest right of the ad.

It took me about the third screening before I really noticed some of his gestures. Just look at some of his changing facial expressions.

I will leave it at that.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back