Black People : Mary J. Blige Apology for Burger King Commercial

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Jun 30, 2012.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Mary J. Blige Apologizes for Racist Burger King Ad
    June 30, 2012 18:15:42 GMT
    The singer said she would not have agreed to star in the commercial had she known how it would turn out.
    [​IMG]
    Photo credit: /WENN

Mary J. Blige has issued an apology for the Burger King commercial which is deemed racist. The
    singer regretted that she did the ad, saying the whole debacle "hurt my feelings. It crushed me for like two days."
    Blige admitted that she was initially excited to star in the ad. "It was sold to us that I would be shot in an iconic way," she told Hot 97's Angie Martinez. "I did it because I thought it was something that wouldn't come out like that."
    Many thought Blige's singing to promote the new chicken wrap depicted blacks in a stereotypical way. Blige commented, "I would never just bust out singing about chicken and chicken wings." But she said she did not know how it would turn out.
    "I want to apologize to everyone who was offended who thought I would do something that was so disrespectful to our culture," she said. "I would never do anything like that. I thought I was doing something right."
    Burger King has pulled the ad but did not say it was because of the criticism. The fast food chain blamed it on
    music licensing issues but has apologized to Blige.

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ...Come on now, Mary....REALLY?!....SERIOUSLY?!

You "DIDN'T KNOW" it would "turn out like that?!" :lol:

You are SINGING about the ingredients of this chicken wrap like it's a Big Mac.

Burger King: "Hi, Mary, we're dong a new commercial for our new menu item, the chicken wraps....Here are the lyrics we want you to sing."

Mary J. Blige: "Oh, okay.....I got it....'Crispy CHICKEN, fresh LETTUCE, 3 CHEESES, RANCH DRESSING, wrapped up in a tasty flour TORTILLA!' ---- SNAP!...That's TIGHT!....Let's do this!"

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ...No, see, whut ha' hap'ned wuz.....

This commercial blew up in your face....You didn't expect the backlash from your fan base and other Black people denouncing this commercial.

And NOW, you're doing "DAMAGE CONTROL" for the sake of your image and career....and you expect us to believe this weak apology and feigned ignorance that you "DIDN'T KNOW it would turn out like that."

So, you just sang about this chicken wrap, shot the commercial and didn't have a CLUE about its FINISHED PRODUCT.

....Like you NEVER actually SAW the finished commercial, in its ENTIRETY before it went on TV.

Okay Mary....Yeah...What you said.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I would have more respect for her if she'd just come out and said, "Hey, I messed up; and I wanna apologize to my People....I insulted myself and my People for the gain of money and exposure not thinking of the harm done to me as a Black woman and my race by this commercial glamorizing and perpetuating stereotypes of my People."

But, instead we get, "I didn't know."

*smh*

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    In all seriousness, who cares? Chicken tastes good, whites, asians, blacks, and maybe aliens like chicken. They can roll on the stereotypes, I gives a....

I also like watermelon, not that every black person does but what is the deal really? We need to focus on what is major and not the frivolous. This is just another distraction in my book. People really need to get their mind right. Diversions are a mutha.

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    And I woulda also took THAT from Mary instead of that WEAK "I didn't KNOW" mess she was spittin.'

Even standing up with THAT woulda been better.

Mary J. Blige: "You know yall my Peeps and I love ya...But, yall need to go somewhere with alla this "buffoonery" mess and talkin' bout stereotypes....EVERYBODY EATS CHICKEN NOT JUST BLACK PEOPLE...So what, I made a commercial about some chicken wraps...So what, I sang a song about the chicken wraps....Yall need to go somewhere else with that, Son; and let a sistah make a dolla." ​

But nooooo, we get, "I didn't know it would turn out like that." :spank:

8. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I got it, you goin' on her dollar signs in her eyes and when some bellyached she quickly tried to play the "I ain't no sellout" route. I see your beef now and understand. You have to realize that everyone that pursue to be "famous" have an agenda, no matter what they say.

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    sad and she really need to come clean and open !

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    And I aint hating on her "agenda."-----I'm just sayn be REAL about it.

But, don't INSULT our intelligence by saying you DIDN'T KNOW what the commercial really about and what the FINISHED PRODUCT would be.

I'd have more respect for her for NOT APOLOGIZING and telling everybody to GET A LIFE than that WEAK-behind LIE.

How could she NOT KNOW how/what the commercial would turn out?!

Come on now.