Black People : Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History'

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, May 2, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History'

By Sarah B. Weir, Yahoo! blogger | Work + Money – 9 hours ago

• [​IMG]
      Picture a grim police line-up with five young African American men in stereotypical "thug" garb, and a goat. That's just the opening shot.
      PepsiCo has announced it is pulling its new ad for Moutain Dew after a storm of criticism this week. Social commentator Dr. Boyce Watkins wrote on his blog that the spot was "arguably the most racist commercial in history." He continues, "Mountain Dew has set a new low for corporate racism. Their decision to lean on well-known racial stereotypes is beyond disgusting. This doesn't even include the fact that the company has put black men on par with animals."
      The one-minute ad (the link is gone in most places but you can still see it by clicking here) shows a badly beaten blonde Caucasian woman approaching the line-up on crutches. A white male warden says, "We got 'em all lined up, nail the little sucker." The goat, in a raspy male voice bullies her with phrases, "keep your mouth shut, I'm going to do ya when I get out," "ya better not snitch on a playa'," and "snitches, get stitches, fool." The woman becomes hysterical and runs from the room. As the ad ends, you can hear her screaming off-screen.
      The spot is one of a series featuring an intoxicated goat called Felicia created by Tyler, The Creator — leader of the hip-hop collective One Future. Ironically, AdWeek called an earlier video in the series the "Best Ad Ever."
      "We apologize for this video and take full responsibility. We have removed the video from all Mountain Dew channels and have been informed that Tyler is removing it from his channels as well."Jen Ryan, a spokeswoman for PepsiCo told Yahoo! Shine in a statement. The ad was not slated to run on television.
      http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/mountain-dew-under-fire-8220-most-racist-commercial-190800696.html

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
  3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Didn't realize it at first, but even now, my mouth is STILL open!

Uh, was this supposed to be funny? (Sorry, but I'm now shaking my head..... befuddled and bewildered!)

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    [​IMG]

Tyler, The Creator's Mountain Dew ad has already been banned due to Dr. Boyce Watkins decrying it as "arguably the most racist commercial in history," but now the social activist is back tracking just a bit after studying the Odd Future rapper's music. In an interview about the controversy, Tyler expresses his disbelief that the ad was ever interpreted as racist, citing the generation gap as a probable reason for Watkins' initial reaction.

"There's no type of hate being portrayed in that work of art at all," Tyler told Billboard. "But this older black dude, Dr. Boyce Watkins, I guess he found it racist because I was portraying stereotypes, which is ridiculous because, one, all of those dudes [in the line-up] are my friends."

Tyler explained that there were absolutely no intended racial undertones in the ad, which was simply supposed to tell the story of a crazed goat who went as far as assaulting a woman on his quest to secure more Mountain Dew. "It's just a goat. I just think a goat is funny. It's no deeper meaning," he explained. "I wasn't thinking, 'Oh, let's use all black [people]' or whatever. I wanted to use my friends. You know why? 'Cause I don't like using other actors. You can look at every one of my videos, and my friends are always in it. Saying that I'm racist — every video I got, Lucas is in it! He's a little scrawny white kid. So what is this dude talking about?"

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706757/tyler-the-creator-mountain-dew-ad-ridiculous.jhtml

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    He's talking about the most backward-thinking mentally-dead NOT FUNNY video to be splashed across the world giving a FALSE, RACIST'S DREAM impression of African-Americans ever devised by an unconscious Negro.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10500:some young people who are fundamentally ignorant are being placed in situations beyond their pay grade.

7. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    A classic case of internalized white supremacy. The job of moral, personal and racial degradation and dehumanization has been done so well on our people that the white man no longer has to do it, we do it to ourselves. The simple fact that dude thinks its ok to make a commercial featuring black men in a line up for assaulting a white woman all while looking the part of thugs is incredible.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    tyler the imbecile....smh

his main reason for saying that the ad isn't racist is because the people in the lineup are his friends...this is the same line that racist white people have been using for decades...i'm not racist...my best friend is black...what a moron....

i worry about the younger generations sometimes....

one love
    khasm

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    with the number of black filmmakers who are out there how is it that this one gets selected for the exposure?
    accident? co incidence?

10. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Some people find this commercial racist while others finds it stupid and awful.

I didn't like the minute i saw it, and i'm glad Pepsi Co. pulled the plug on this nonsense.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moutain dew mouth