Jails / Prisons : Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

1. Yes

78.9%
  2. No

21.1%
  1. lovealexandria

lovealexandria Well-Known Member MEMBER

NO JOb, Dream Job: Commercial Pilot
    Ratings:
    +16
    The police seem to know my fathers side of the family pritty good. plenty of them got a federal record. Had an uncle in jail for ten years. He was inoccent though.

2. vand177

vand177 New Member MEMBER

Accounting Manager
    Ratings:
    +1
    No family members in prison

I have several uncles, cousins and near relatives and not any of them have ever gone to prison. I don't understand why so many black men end up in the prison system. My friends and I talk about this subject a lot because we are raising black males and do not want them to fall into the prison system. Maybe if there were other alternatives in front of the men that are in jail that they possibly may not have ended up there in the first place. It may have been the norm for some families so it would logical that others might follow in their foot steps.

3. bigzel69

bigzel69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

STUDENT/FINANCE INTERN
    Ratings:
    +1
    IN AMERICA, I HAVENT HAD ANY AT ALL. THANK GOD. IN BARBADOS(MOST OF MY FAM LIVES THERE, I DONT THINK WE HAVE HAD ANY THERE EITHER. FEW WENT TO JAIL BUT IT WAS NOTHING BUT MISDEMEANORS.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,574
    Never any immediate family members but some cousins, yeah.

I've got some cousins that have gone to the pen once and never went back and I've got some others who have been in and out their entire lives.

Some of them have been petty thieves, some dope-dealers, some killers and maybe everything else. And some of them have survived attempted murder so many times from gunshots and knifings and car wrecks; but they're still here.

But, I think we've all got some cuzzins like "Craig and 'nem." lol

5. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, my cousin was in prison. He robbed a 7-11.

He's doing well now... he married and had two babies. So, it is possible to reform even after those bad experiences.

The best thing to do is to teach prison people how to reform after they get locked up, (even if it LOOKS LIKE they're not coming out).

6. shiesha

shiesha Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    hey destee my dad was locked up when i was 14 i allways try to send him money or see him it is about a six hour drive but its worth it bcuz my father raised me as a single parent me and my sister

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +10,588
    Shiesha ... that's beautiful, you all standing by and with each other ... Thanks for sharing! :toast:

Thanks for joining us too! Make yourself right at home, because you are!

:heart:

Destee

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,574

And I got one cousin....Lawd knows, I love 'im; but he so treacherous...you gotta be careful who you tell you kin to him! lol

9. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +145
    My older brothers did small stints for stupid stuff...more like long jail time than prison (around 1 year each time).

I have one cousin serving life who killed his wheelchair bound girlfriend. He was high, she had money and either wouldn't get it or couldn't get it quick enough to give to him. I never met him, and I doubt I will. He plans to go live with his father when he gets out, and his father did terrible things to my mother. He feels like his father(also an ex-con) is the only one that understands what he went through, but I want no part of it.

I have another cousin who killed a man during a robbery. The evidence is sketchy, but he got a life sentence. I don't remember him much, but I talk to him at my aunt's house.

10. ashley87

ashley87 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    i've had a member of my family in prison. it was not easy for him and for us outside but we had to be strong for him. prison is another universe. it can destroy someone, ruin the life. all we can do is write letter and visit him and it's better than nothing.