Law Forum : Shock Probation - Ever Heard of It?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I was watching some program and they gave the (white) offender shock probation, instead of making them do their entire sentence. This allowed the offender to do only 3 months in prison for their crime, instead of the 6 years they actually received.

I was shocked to know there was even such a thing!

Have you ever heard of this? Do you know any people that received shock probation?

hmmmmm ... :thinking:

I don't know if you'll ever need this, but if i or my family does, i'll be asking about it! :look:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

::

Shock Probation

Shock probation is the policy by which a judge orders a convicted offender to prison for a short time then suspends the remainder of the sentence in favor of probation. It is hoped that the initial experience of prison will provide an effective deterrent from recidivism.

In shock probation, someone is sentenced to prison and starts serving the sentence. After three to six months, the judge resentences the prisoner to probation, and the prisoner is released under supervision. Shock probation is usually considered when a prisoner is a first time offender and a judge believes, given the circumstances of the case, that the prisoner has a chance at reform which may be enhanced by being released.

Shock probation is a privilege, and not a right, and is at the discretion of the judge.

Peace and Blessings Family,

I was watching some program and they gave the (white) offender shock probation, instead of making them do their entire sentence. This allowed the offender to do only 3 months in prison for their crime, instead of the 6 years they actually received.

I was shocked to know there was even such a thing!

Have you ever heard of this? Do you know any people that received shock probation?

hmmmmm ... :thinking:

I don't know if you'll ever need this, but if i or my family does, i'll be asking about it! :look:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Shock Probation

Shock probation is the policy by which a judge orders a convicted offender to prison for a short time then suspends the remainder of the sentence in favor of probation. It is hoped that the initial experience of prison will provide an effective deterrent from recidivism.

In shock probation, someone is sentenced to prison and starts serving the sentence. After three to six months, the judge resentences the prisoner to probation, and the prisoner is released under supervision. Shock probation is usually considered when a prisoner is a first time offender and a judge believes, given the circumstances of the case, that the prisoner has a chance at reform which may be enhanced by being released.

Shock probation is a privilege, and not a right, and is at the discretion of the judge.

Sure haven't heard of this before, but here is some more, additional information:

Shock probation is sort of courtroom slang for a probation that includes some time in jail as a condition. It's its own kind of plea bargain.

Shock probation is not a form of probation with jail time as a condition. Shock probation is where someone is sentenced to jail or prison. The court retains jurisdiction over the case for 30 days in a misdemeanor and 180 days in a felony

Shock probation is not available for someone serving a prison sentence for a "3g" offense like aggravated robbery.

Is shock probation possible with an aggravated robbery case?
http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is-shock-probation-possible-with-an-aggravated-rob-1155947.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back