Jails / Prisons : Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

• Total voters

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
closest ever to me was my best friend.. who I considered my brother.. we'd
been together since 3 or 4 years old.. He did 9 years for a crime he did not
commit.. and he really didn't do it.. the guy that did it made a deal to say
that he did it and he did the time.. he got out 9 years later with good credit
and bought him a car and started his life over..

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
I have had 3 brothers in prison. WHich 2 died there and the other is out and doing good.
wow.. that's just painful.. just takes my breath away.. to take black folks off
the street and put them in a dangerous environment where they have to
kill or be killed.. that is criminal.. prisoners are still citizens and should be
protected even in Prison.. that should be in the constitution..

medusanegrita

Mar 13, 2010
STL Missouri
Heck yeah. Who hasn't? It's a normalized occurrence unfortunately.
My cousin just out a couple of weeks ago after doing 10 years. His father (my uncle) did 7 years, got out and went back over the next 5 years doing between 3 months - 1 year each time.

Both grandfathers been in prison.

Daddy been jailed.

Stepfather been in prison or jail - don't remember which.

Just about EVERY woman I know has a relative - husband, boyfriend, child, uncle, father in jail or prison or one who has been there.

It is what it is.

My cousin, a young man of only about 33, is out and going to vocational school for electrician. His father (my uncle) is 53 and never had been doing well, before or after prison. He stay between his sister and former girlfriend, doesn't work, is alcoholic, does drugs on more than occasionally. We love him, my uncle, but we leave the po man be and let him do what he do. he wanna change, he got to come to grips with his inner demons and change on his own.

My cousin's son is in lock-up facility and he's trying to him back.

It's an intergenerational occurrence.

Emerald_Queen

Jan 29, 2010
Yep, some of my relatives were in prison. I guess it was just what it was..nothing was really brought to our familys attention when someone was put in jail, unless it was like our immediate family. It was like a run of the mill conversation. I would be talking to my aunt and then she says.."yeah, John is now locked up cause he violated his parole" or "did something stupid and landed himself in jail." It was never anything that was taken serious...like I would have wanted. Like the family would come together and pray about it or something. It was something that just was, I suppose. I would say I'll pray for him and when he's out I would talk to him, but in the end it's his choice on what he does with his life!

nikknikk19

Mar 21, 2011
ga/nyc
Occupation
BSN Student
UNFORTUNATELY

MY EX-FIANCEE' IS IN PRISON FOR HIS ANGER PROBLEM. SUCKS GROWING UP BEHIND THE BARS. THE PEOPLE IN MY FAMILY WHO ARE BAD NEWS IT SEEMS THEY NEVER WERE IN PRISON LONG ENOUGH.

Mikha'el

Oct 18, 2009
Somewhere
Occupation
Student
Yeah....my cousin did 4 years n has been out for some time...another cousin is serving ten n will be out in a few years

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
Peace and Blessings Family,

Do You Have ... or ever had ... Family in Prison?

My nephew is in prison, and will probably be there for the rest of his life. He Spent most of his young life in there too. He was in, got out, and went right back. I've never visited him in prison, not even sure what prison he's in. He was arrested, prosecuted, all that stuff, in Chicago, so he's probably in a prison in IL. I'm gonna talk to my Sister and find out.

I also had 2 cousins that spent time in prison. They're both out now.

I could probably have more Family Members incarcerated, but if so, i'm not aware of it.

I think it would be good for us to bring ourselves even closer together, as i can't imagine that there are a whole lot of us who don't, or never have had, a Family Member in prison ... but yall never cease to amaze me ... as i might be the only one! :(

Please vote in the poll above, and post your comments below.

I just love yall ... thanks for sharing !!! :love:

:heart:

Destee
Yes, I've had family members in prison before; I wouldn't want them there again. I love them too much! One of them was someone who hasn't been in my life since I was a baby, but he's been out for but a few years now.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Feeling good today fam...just been reading a couple of books. I think Dennis Kimbro's "Daily Motivations for African American Success" is one of the best motivational books on the market. This book has motivation for each day of the year on each page and all of these relate to your own Blackness. No matter what you're experiencing there's something in that book you could draw from. ✊
Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love: