Black People : Do We Need A Leader?

This bling-bling thing is crazy. Todays youth is too caught up in social status, who you with, or what you have. I always try to talk to these young cats to forget about those "Air Force 1s" and ascertain that Calculus 1. I know that the stock market is down but donot let televison fool you. If you are invest in foreign currency, such as the Euro, you are making some money right now!! Either you know or you donot.

My suggestion for leaving your religon at home, not abondoning it though, came from my interpretation of Malcolm's speech,"The Ballot or the Bullet".

I'm not here to argue or discuss anything that we differ about, because it's time for us to submerge our differences and realize that it is best for us to first see that we have the same problem, a common problem, a problem that will make you catch hell whether you're a Baptist, or a Methodist, or a Muslim, or a nationalist.

I do agree with you Jhiah about that people donot want to bring up faith because many have none. Although, being a scientist and knowing other scientist, not all people operate on faith and belief. Sometimes facts and scientific theory guides people. I know many scientist who are atheist.

Nfant and Dre', good feedback.

Dre...I agree with your first paragraph. I think leaders are important and can play a key role in a group's efforts to be heard, taken seriously and to advance an agenda on a small scale as well as a large scale. Leaders are only leaders if they have followers. Leaders speak for themselves and other people who agree with them. Effective leaders can take groups of people and form a cohesive unit around a concept or a cause. Parents are leaders, teachers are leaders, politicians are leaders, ministers are leaders, etc. Separately they can be effective in their own right, but when they come together for a common purpose, I think they become more powerful. To speak on their behalf, they most likely will select from among them, a leader to spread their message.

Also, I understand your point about knowledge of our past versus knowing where you want to go. But a question occurred to me as I read that. Why should one be more important than the other? I came to the opinion that if you want a future that is truly meaningful, neither should be mutually exclusive of the other, they are both essential.

Don't you think that oftentimes some of us lack vision because we don't have a clue as to who we are and where we came from? We're just living for the moment, good, bad, or indifferent. So how can we decide where we want to go if we know nothing about how we got where we are? When a person develops wisdom, does that wisdom come from their dreams of where they want to be or does it come from past experiences?

I'm thinking that we agree in principle and where we might differ doesn't matter as long as we agree that both perspectives are important.

Maybe we need to start a new thread for the point that Nfant and Dre raised about the bling blinging and flossing that seems to be prevalent in our communities because this could be another good topic.

I don't think the "bling bling" concept is confined to our youth but I do think that it might be more pervasive among the younger urban population. I work on a large midwestern college campus and I'm constantly amazed...jaw dropping amazed...at the kinds of cars African American students drive, the labels on their clothes, salon hair/nails, but not one is ever mentioned on a distinguished scholars list at the last board meeting each year. Now, I'm not trying to put all Black students in this category but there are enough out there to make me wonder what happened and when did it happen to create this new breed?

This is a predominantly white campus/town so there's not much here in the form of social entertainment offered for Black students. In other words they have all the time in the world to study and it's not like we don't provide the educational support on this campus. We have support programs up the wazoo but still some students don't see the correlation between attending class and getting a passing grade. :eek:

Where is the $$ coming from to support these students' lifestyles? Are they living in a manner to which they are accustomed contributed to by their parents?

what is crazy is that we want to accomplish things that needs the intervention of God.

l agree that our people need focus on education, finance, management, etc...

Nfant, l agree that the same things befalls anyone of any culture, just as the Bible says.... (such conditions are also the way of life),
but that tells me that there is a deeper root to the problem.

(and trust, l'm not religious at all) but the Bible does say that the Enemy (Satan) "comes to seek all who he may devour."
culture vs. culture or culture for culture.
family vs. family or family for family
my dough is my dough yo dough is my dough :D
PARTIALITY in other words (or maybe bias.)
The enemy divides and conquers.

how can anyone
on this thread neglect the spiritual foundation that is desperately needed for the betterment of family, education, and prosperity?

Again, the world has no faith.

j'hiah...

You wrote..."how can anyone on this thread neglect the spiritual foundation that is desperately needed for the betterment of family, education, and prosperity?" From what I've been reading and writing, I don't see where anyone has neglected the importance of a spiritural foundation as long as one's personal views and beliefs aren't imposed on others who might have different beliefs. What about the atheists or agnostics? Suppose they disagree that spirituality is important but they still support and work toward the betterment of family, education and prosperity?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back