Black People : Do We Need A Leader?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Mar 10, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Looking at the political and social history of Blacks in America, any change that took place on a grand scale on behalf of Blacks always seemed to be led by people that were called "leader". More recently, King, Malcolm (Nation of Islam) and even the Panthers were able to attract worldwide attention for Blacks in America. They did things that made a difference for the Black condition. They are either no longer with us or play a prominent role and there doesn't appear to be a single person that has surfaced since to be the voice of the Black community. A few have attempted, but none have caught fire like the others mentioned.

Do you think the Black community is in need of a "leader" today and who would you suggest that might be?

Maybe you think we already have a leader(s), if so, who?

Could a Black woman be a powerful and persuasive leader for Blacks in modern America?

2. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    u're wrong for not including Bill Clinton :D

you know what? l think the aforementioned leaders were needed for such times that we presently don't live in.

l think now we don't need a leader(s) and that we are in a place where we can be independent of a leader.

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    [email protected] Clinton...we won't talk about who felt the impact from his "administration" moreso than others...

So you don't think that the challenges Blacks face today warrant some form of mass movement behind a single leader? That's an interesting perspective.

Well then do you think there's a single cause that Blacks can rally around independently as opposed to collectively, particularly one that will have a far reaching impact? Do you know of any racial/ethnic group that has ever succeeded at such a thing in modern history?

Personally, I can't see how Blacks can act independent of each other to make a difference for us all without having a common cause to rally around or have someone (call it a leader if you will) guiding the movement. If that was the case, then are we having such difficulty today? Sure we can all do our share as individuals but shouldn't we be working toward a common goal and how would we know what that goal was if there wasn't someone overseeing that the message was communicated to everyone.

What do you think?

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    indeed we can be our own independent leader we havew become
    more open then ever but yes i do still feel a great leader to face
    da nation of blacks are needed to confront the mask of these
    times today
    now i see a few who can spark fire and yes i see a woman
    with a strong force to lead our people into a new venue

Bill was the latest know for us not in the shin but the whole
    heart he was of our well beings leading full force til his rupted
    mask cover him as always they come to de throne hope

but yes we can use a new leadership

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hey there PAN...

Isn't that the purpose of our community churches? Aren't they a form of organization, among other things, geared toward our liberation...for people who want to work to improve themselves and help their fellow members? Aren't they doing a good job?

Even organizations have to have someone at the helm leading its members. Everyone can't be speaking for the group or there's a risk that the groups's message might get diluted or lost. And I'm drawing my opinion from watching how organizations such as The Black Panther Party and the Black Muslims have operated. I think I understand your point though about not needing a single individual leading us. But regardless of whether it's one person or an organization, there has to be a cause, a structured plan and some ability to mobilize that plan. Who's going to deliver the message?

Do you think a Black liberation movement can be effective today?

6. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    NNQueen,
    we have to ask ourselves
    . what is our common goal? (as you stated)
    . why is it our goal?
    . who or what group is eligible to lead it?
    . what are we hoping to achieve?

hmmm... l presume that our biggest issue is family, it's dysfunction and divide.... Who would we "elect"... who could we elect for such a private and spiritual entity as family?

But if l had to choose a particular issue up for improvement, l would say it would be history awareness. l bet then, we wouldn't have as many people saying "****** and *****" all the time.

l think there should be schools set up by us to specifically teach our generation and older the black history of the bible, of Africa,
    Egypt, lsrael all the way down to America. Most of all, l dare say, We should teach them the ways of Christ.

peace NN

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    j'hiah, I agree that we need to determine what our common goal(s) are before we can do anything to advance or improve our social condition. But first that requires that we know ourselves individually before we can do anything collectively.

On an educational level, learning and getting in touch with our history is another point I agree with, and I don't mean just studying history of the slave trade and when we set foot on American soil. True, we might not know the specific communities of our ancestors, but what would it hurt to learn about the original peoples and where we all came from?

In order to go forward we might need to take a step back first. How can you know where you want to go unless you know your past? Sure we might be able to make choices without that knowledge and many people do. But I think as you get older and, hopefully, more enlightened, we discover how important that information is to us. It completes us. That might be a reason why children who are adopted tend to seek out their birth parents. They need that connection.

On emotional and spiritual levels, I agree that we also need a spiritual connection with our Creator to seek knowledge and understanding about ourselves as spiritual beings.

But what exactly do you think it is that our history can teach us that will make a difference to people today? Have our hearts been so hardened by this modern society that we don't care anymore?

I hope this makes sense...

8. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    makes alot of sense NNQ

you need to go into politics girlie :)

NNQ has my vote :D

peace

poeticd

9. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes we need a leader(s) or some type of organization for us to unite and/or just get the people stop and think. This reminds me of the story of about a bundle of sticks. It is simple to break a single twig but many together is not so easy. With numbers comes power. There are too many side battles going on.

Furthermore, people need to leave their religon at home because once it comes up there will disagreements between the masses. Even brotha Malcolm said leave your religon at home. It will only divide us not unite.

I say the main priority is education.
    People donot plan to fail they just fail to plan.

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Nfant...I like the stick analogy...good point. I think you're right, people's religious beliefs should not enter into any conversation that tries to find some common ground because we don't all have the same religious beliefs. On that same note, what do you think about politics? We don't all agree on that front either. Is that another topic that shouldn't enter the picture? I don't see how it couldn't, but maybe someone else can.

[email protected]..politicians scare me!!