Black People : Do We Need A Leader?

NNQueen said:
Whether people agree that Bush is a leader or not, he's out front in the public eye being touted by his supporters and partners as one, to move a mutual political agenda. He's the spokesperson for his supporters and he has a certain amount of power (public and private) that comes with being in that position. He has access to and can easily move and operate in circles of other powerful people. He must be recognized by people around the world because of his position. Because of his position, he can influence stock markets around the world, he controls a powerful and sophisticated military. Now, this may not be a "leader" is some people's eyes, but whatever you want to call it, it's something that the Black community can benefit from if we had that kind of power.

Some of us think we need a leader, and some don't. One thing we probably all agree on is the fact that those among us who have been leaders in the past have seldom, if ever died of old age or from natural causes. That is definitely an occupational hazard that few would voluntarily opt for.

Bush and his supporters are able to realize their dreams today. Black people choose to wait by trying to change one person at a time....individually. At that rate, none of us will most likely see much change for the better on a massive scale for Blacks, in our lifetimes--unless some drastic action (whatever that might be) is taken, and reasonably soon.

Well, I agree in that context... but I think it's also important if one takes a view we need a leader that the people they choose are leading in a proper direction. On the same token though, we can't pick on every little flaw if overall they're doing good.

For example, some have criticized Farrakhan for whatever reason. Some have even criticized Martin Luther King. :confused: But if you look at what these men did OVERALL it has been something positive... that is what needs to be the main focus.

I think sometimes people get too sucked in by 'leaders' that have a lot of charisma, but when it boils down to it aren't leading... yet some discredit other leaders because they have a different approach or judging by some other factors.

However, this is not to say that if a leader goes adamently against your goals, that you don't have a right not to accept their representation.

We obviously need leadership, not necessarily "one" leader. One thing we should have learned from our history is that we need a group of leaders because if a lone Black leader is moving large numbers of us in a positive direction, he or she will be brought down in one way or another.

Has there been any group of people in history that moved in a way that advances them without a leader or a body of leaders, like a council? I don't think so, but would like for someone to prove me wrong.

Of course, Bush is a leader. Disgruntled ones of us don't want to recognize him as one because he is obviously not our leader, but he is one.

So we need a compelling leadership group with vision and goals that the majority of us will embrace that will pull and push us into making that vision a reality. However, this group of leaders should not be in the public eye, for obvious reasons. There are ways that this could be done.

Mayn said:
We obviously need leadership, not necessarily "one" leader. One thing we should have learned from our history is that we need a group of leaders because if a lone Black leader is moving large numbers of us in a positive direction, he or she will be brought down in one way or another.

Has there been any group of people in history that moved in a way that advances them without a leader or a body of leaders, like a council? I don't think so, but would like for someone to prove me wrong.

Of course, Bush is a leader. Disgruntled ones of us don't want to recognize him as one because he is obviously not our leader, but he is one.

So we need a compelling leadership group with vision and goals that the majority of us will embrace that will pull and push us into making that vision a reality. However, this group of leaders should not be in the public eye, for obvious reasons. There are ways that this could be done.

Great post Mayn! And welcome to Destee.com!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back