Black Education / Schools : Black Educational School System?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by KWABENA, Sep 13, 2004.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Are you for or against a Black Educational School System or not?

WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH COLLEGE?

Easy, A black education system will influence more students to enroll into the Black Colleges.

Speak ya mind Family

Cedric Denson

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Against:

These negros cannot even run HBCU's right. I would not dare attempt to run a black educational system that was not well planned, properly funded and with the right people in place.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I feel you on that ine brotha. So you are against because it is not properly run by the right or properly set up. And not to mention, I am starting to see many diverse faces around the Black College Campuses. But my point to asking the question is, I am talking about Black Elementary school Education, Middle School, High Scool, Vocational, and so on for children in the slums of America. My uncle runs the ONLY African-Centered Charter School in the State of Florida, and there is NO diversity in the student enrollment. It is strictly African-Centered, and they learn the best of our history. We need more schools like that around the nation, or we are going to give birth to a lot of lost children as this world goes on. Between my generation and the next upcoming generations, entertainment has become bigger than education. Now you have children who go to school and sit in the classrooms and play around on their cell phones instead of learn.
    Is that what we want?

How many times do I have to say that the Black Education is the True Education. We put work into our knowledge, and all of us know that. We dont need children spending more money and time on cell phones than inside the books. Let's turn this thing around, because the white Euro-minded school teachers are not gonna do it.

Cedric Denson

4. nabraska

nabraska Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13
    Interesting topic Cedric. Now check this: I've joined AmeriCorp through Hands on Atlanta, which is a non-profit organization that goes into inner city schools to help tutor children. Now we are partnered with the Atlanta Public School System who is headed by a superintendent that happens to be a Black Female. Now this organization Hands on Atlanta (HOA) is in full support of the programs that the school has set in place for these "underachieving" children to help them learn. However the program is dummy-ing down math for these kids and not giving them any kind of challenge. (of course the school as well as the school system is like 85-90% Black) HOA is like "Black run" but "white owned", if u catch my drift. So to me, the school system is very detrimental to these children!! Now I hate working within this system, but I love these kids...not "these" kids "my" kids, because after day 1 I took ownership over their learning.

I see the way that the principal (who also happens to be a Black Female) talks to her staff, the teachers; which is very negative...this also trickles down from the teachers to the students; who are constantly being yelled at with very negative language. Now I know that middle school is a tough age to deal with because of the hormonal change, as well as the mindset of the young wanting to be adults, with the priviliges of a child--but these so-called educators must RESPECT THE CHILD FOR BEING A CHILD, AND EXPECT THAT CHILD TO BE A CHILD. So I feel where you are coming from when you speak about your uncle in Florida. Now I used to love the south, because I'm from Nebraska, born and raised in Omaha; but I'm beginning to learn how the self-hate and self-degredation is formed in the minds of Black people. Atlanta Public Schools is at the highest level of Black on Black crime because this is what we teach our youth :skillet: :skillet: :skillet:

They are not learning from the staff (which is 99% black) how to be productive positive parts of a community--they are learning something else...what, I do not know. But on the level of elementary, middle, jr and high schools, parents have to pay attention to not only their child, but to that school that the child is attending. So unfortunately a black staff is not necessarily the answer. Caring, understanding, and nurturing people are needed in the assistance of raising our youth.

And can u tell me, where in the hell are all the Black Male Teachers????

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Brother Keita, you sound like a white supremacist going into panic mode! I mean you do have a point, but it sounds like you are afraid of power. Who said we were going to teach hate? How else do you expect black folks to truly know about themselves? Do you go to a Public School, and learn about what it means to be black? Do you go to a public school and learn about how we struggle? Do you learn how to believe in yourself, fight self-hate, self-ignorance, and self-respect? I don't think so. Since you are against a Black Educational System? What do you expect the white folks to teach us about being black? In white schools, they learn (and we learn) almost everything there is to know about being European/white/whatever. You see, this is how we are molded into a white person's image - by taking after them, and being heavily brainwashed by them. World War I is more important than the Dred Scott Decision, give me a break. They want us to know about our rights, which most of us don't even know. We need to step up and do whatever it takes to become us! And to be on top. Throwing away the opportunity for a Black Educational System is like telling all the African-American Educators that we have in this world to either stay in Africa - or keep a low profile. I can't believe that.

Are you saying that being black is negative? Anything that goes through the minds of blacks are negative? How many white leaders were assassinated by blacks for righteous reasons? This whole world is going crazy........I think it is time for a change.........even in the educational fields.

Cedric Denson

7. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    We need to take the chains off our brains. The chinese are studying advanced mathmatics and english in grade school. We need to get with the program who are we fooling. We dont even study african history in most schools, but they make you take u.s history and the like.

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    (I'd sure love to see this thread opened up again. It strikes me that this is the beginning to the answer of a lot of questions that are floating around this forum. Please pardon the length of this missive, but Nabraska offered a lot of stuff to play with!)

MOST interesting topic. And totally key to where we aren't today!

YES. we truly need to develop a Black Educational System. Frankly, a global African system would be better, but, one step at a time. (yeah, i know, i know)

Learning something new is an exciting thing to realize that one has done. The problem is is that when Black children get to this point, it suddenly turns into a "behavioral" issue in that the child is not being "appropriate", and the fact that something has just been learned is totally ignored in lieu of "correcting" that child's "behavior". (Been there, done that; been collecting a "disability" check for 20 years as a result!)

Aye, dumbing anything down does remove the challenge. And children will recognize and respond to any/all such attempts. Most likely by just no longer paying attention ... the end result of which is that the white owners can point to them and say "see! see! they can't/won't learn!!", thereby justifying all the "big lies" that they perpetrate.
    Good for you!! I wish you'd been around when I was in school!

`Course, one must realize that that principal is also a product of this educational system, so the cycle continues. `Tis a shame that her "advanced education" didn't work enough for her to catch on, eh?
    Badaboom-badabing - this is the key thing!

Yup, it's a self-perpetuating cycle, isn't it. And, I think that a Black Educational System would be one of the good starts toward breaking it!
    They are "learning" the "proper place" "society" has decided that we are to occupy.
    Ah, yes; the joys of responsible parenting! But that seems to be endemic across society, doesn't it?
    Well, a black staff is a good part of the answer. Unfortunately, they, too, were victims of the "edyoukayshanal cistern".
    Right where society wants them/us! My educational experience was such that I gave up on the mess just before high school. I enlisted just after the semester break of my sophomore year (and had a GED right out of boot camp). I've tried to do the higher education bit, but <shudder> I just got so tired of "my, you're very intelligent, aren't you?" from the teachers/administrators (being shown off as a "dancing bear" got real tiring real fast) along with the funny looks from other students because I was consistently out scoring them. This, of course, did nothing toward encouraging me to socialize, so now I can't/don't.

I'd like to be part of the solution, but I've found that everybody gets real uncomfortable every time I've gone into the (dispersing/dispersed) Black community of Seattle. I'd love to bring the fun/joys/intricacies of "microsystems sciences engineering" (electronics/electronic engineering/computer science/etc - the underlying tech, NOT microsoft). I think it would be really fun watching a group of children coming to understand this subject. Especially when they realize that they can actually design, build and market neat NEW gizmos all by themselves!

Could this thread be opened back up?

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    This thread never closed! Its just that some people find other topics more interesting than this, but of course I am not the only one in the Family to witness this.

When I opened this thread, I admired the idea of a Black Education School System, because I understand what God WANTS me to do, and that is Educate. What I would like to do is build an Educational System sufficient enough for a black child to feel at home, at school, and understand that the people who teach them are nothing else but committed, dedicated, determined and caring Men and women of God. You see, I would not have come up with this idea if I did not admire education. When you do what is in God's will, you will go a long way. This is not anything that I fantasize about; this is what God wants me to do. SAFE HAVENS! What? I cannot create a Safe Haven for the environment because I am black? (which to some means I am ignorant?) I DO NOT GIVE A :censored: WHAT AMERIKKKA OR ANYBODY THINKS ABOUT WHAT I AM DOING OR WHO I AM! As a Child of God, I am serving ONE INDIVIDUAL, and that is God! NOT MAN! He has my life blueprinted just like everyone else's, and only him!

I care very much about the Children of our environment. I have a strong sense of understanding as to why we are in the position we are in. People, in life you make choices. YOU HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE CHOICES! So just because we do not have any serious black leaders does not mean that we have no black leaders; some chose to step down and limit their capabilites, and others are leaders in the making (like myself.) I know I am not the perfect man for the job, but with God on my side, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE! Whether he/she/or they like it or not!

Europe had a chance to control the world, and they went overboard. Not to blame him, but I have noticed that ever since Bush got in office, things have just been going downhill. I said it before and I will say it again - IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

CD

10. devil'sadvocate

devil'sadvocate Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the Black educational system can start by introducing African history classes as electives in public schools with a black student majority.