Black People Politics : Barack Obama

LostInThought said:
He is a very interesting man, but I want to see the darkest-skinned African-American who really knows Black culture and comes from a descent black family in the chair.
Do you mean like Clarence Thomas, or Ron Paige, or Armstrong Williams? I don't see these token Negro Republicans in the same light...who are advising other Blacks to reject welfare hand-outs; say nothing about those paid not to grow crops; paid not to develop oil; those recieving subsidies of all forms at the expense of Black and white taxpayers. I don't hear them speak of the no-bid contracts that are awarded to political cronies. I don't hear of anything they plan to do to increase the rate of jobs produced for Blacks by Blacks. Most of them are comfortably working for the white man, never creating any jobs nor giving anything back to the neighborhoods they were raised in, becoming instead part of the exodus to the suburbs as soon as they can afford it. In light of all this, it's the elephant you should kick to the curb...not the donkey...:)

In Retrospect

NNQueen said:
Who knows anything about Barack Obama who spoke last night at the DNC in Boston? I didn't see him deliver his speech but I caught bits and pieces of it on the morning news and he's receiving rave reviews--even to the tune of being touted as becoming the FIRST Black president in the U.S.

What do you all know about him and think of him?

http://www.blackcommentator.com/45/45_dixon.html

http://globalization.about.com/gi/d...post.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4062-2004Jun24.html

Queenie

Time Will Tell

:time:

Aqil said:
Barack Obama is the Illinois State Senator for the 13th District on Chicago’s South Side. He was overwhelmingly elected to a third term in office in 2002. He serves on three State Senate committees: Health and Human Services, Judiciary and Local Government. He is the Chairman of the Health and Human Services Committee.

Working with Senator Paul Simon in 1998, Obama was one of only four legislators who crafted and passed Illinois’ toughest-ever campaign finance reform law. He also played a key role in landmark welfare reform legislation in 1997 that empowers many Illinoisans to go into the workforce.

Obama received his BA in Political Science from Columbia University. He spent five years working as a community organizer, first in Harlem, then in Chicago.

In 1988, Obama enrolled in Harvard Law School. There he served as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review, and was a member of the Executive Board of the Black Law Students Association. He graduated Magna Cum Laude.

In 1992, Obama served as Illinois Executive Director of PROJECT VOTE!, an effort that added over 100,000 newly registered voters in Illinois.

In 1993, Obama was named by Crain’s Chicago Business as one of “40 under 40” outstanding young leaders in the city of Chicago. He is the recipient of the 1995 Legal Eagle Award from IVI-IPO for his work in bringing Illinois into compliance with the National Voter Registration Act (Motor-Voter). His commentaries have been heard on National Public Radio and his memoir, Dreams of My Father, was published by Random House in August 1995.

Obama works as a civil rights attorney with the firm Davis, Miner, Barnhill and Galland. He specializes in employment discrimination, fair housing and voting rights litigation. He also lectures at the University of Chicago, where he teaches civil rights law and related subjects.

In addition, Obama serves on the boards of several organizations including: the Chicago Annenberg Challenge (Chairman), the Joyce Foundation, the Woods Fund of Chicago, the Center for Neighborhood Technology, the Chicago Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, and Public Allies. He is a member of the Cook County Bar Association.

Senator Obama is married to Michelle Obama and they have two daughters, Malia Ann Obama and Natasha Obama.

*bump*
:wave:

oldsoul said:
Barack Obama is not yet a senator from Illinois. The election is in November. However, the republicans cant find anyone to run against him. When elected, Obama will be the first Black Man in the senate since Ed Brooke (Mass., Republican) in the 1960's and the first Black Man in the senate from Illinois.
Barack Obama is one of the most intelligent, articulate Brothers to come on the electoral political scene in years. I respect him especially because he's does what he says and says what he does. He also has a beautiful wife and family and they demonstrate their Blackness together.
The Speech everyone's talking about.

A perspective I can TRUST.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back