Black People Politics : Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by NNQueen, Jul 28, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
  2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    From what I have seen and heard and read about him, he seems all right to me. Alot of people say he is a bit of an oreo and is really out of touch with Blacks, but I think people just hating.

Maybe as a people we should try to embrace one of our own instead always trying to tear them down.

3. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    The brother is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! He electrified the DNC audience! The pundits are saying that his speech was the greatest in decades...

Biography: Attorney; born Aug. 4, 1961, in Hawaii; bachelor's degree, Columbia University, NY, 1983; graduate, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, 1991; chair, The Chicago Annebery Challenge; board member, Woods Fund of Chicago; "40 under 40" award, Crain's Chicago Business, 1993; married (wife Michelle is also a lawyer) and two children.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i believe he is mulatto

5. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    His father is an African from Kenya; his mother is Caucasian...from Kansas. He is an African-American fo' real... :)

6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    THE CANDIDATE

By William Finnegan

How the son of a Kenyan economist became an Illinois Everyman.

The climax of Barak Obama’s 1995 memoir, “Dreams from My Father,” occurs in rural Kenya when the author sits between the graves of his father and his grandfather and weeps. Obama, then in his late twenties, hardly knew his father and never met his grandfather, but in the course of writing the book he had learned their stories in devastating detail. Both were proud, ambitious men who travelled far from the Luo-speaking villages where they grew up — indeed, Obama’s grandmother still has her son’s Harvard diploma hanging in her house nearby. Their respective struggles in the world ended painfully, in bitter loneliness. Beside their graves, Obama, a middle-class American, both mourns and, for the first time, understands his African forebears.

You can read the entire artice at:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040531fa_fact1

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I hadn't heard of him until this morning, but so far he is the talk of the town. Maybe Rich can shed more light on this brother (since he is an Illinois Senator). I am originally from IL, but I haven't lived there in 10 years.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i have heard mentioned in the news, that some people on the s side of chi complain about him. i dont know my self.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    If you read the entire article in one of the links I posted, "The Black Commentator" did you find the DLC and its mission interesting?

So, we may have the right to vote, but do we have a choice in who we get to vote for? I see what Ross Perot meant when he ran for president. Big business is courted to provide financial backing to politicians but only those that are as conservative as republicans and will support their agenda.

What politician these days runs on his beliefs and not allow themselves to become a sellout? Does anyone have a problem with this? Do Black people really have the ability and enough clout to combine their financial resources to support a candidate that supports its community and enable them to compete against these corporate giants in a political campaign? We also need to develop the ability to become the majority in Congress too don't we so that the President doesn't become just a dummy-god?

Queenie

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    On Barack Obama

Barack Obama is not yet a senator from Illinois. The election is in November. However, the republicans cant find anyone to run against him. When elected, Obama will be the first Black Man in the senate since Ed Brooke (Mass., Republican) in the 1960's and the first Black Man in the senate from Illinois.
    Barack Obama is one of the most intelligent, articulate Brothers to come on the electoral political scene in years. I respect him especially because he's does what he says and says what he does. He also has a beautiful wife and family and they demonstrate their Blackness together.
    The Speech everyone's talking about.