Black Spirituality Religion : Wicca and Witchcraft

I have studied Wicca in some formal settings, but I am not, nor ever have been a Wiccan. I believe that Wicca is a cut and pasted faith. White folks have stolen a plethora of aspects from different belief systems and bastardized it to suit their needs. They make claims on it being an ancient belief system but they way they mix and blend stuff clearly lets the discerning know that it isn’t. And they claim to be open minded and they aren’t. I have interacted with several hateful Wiccans that have said cruel things about my belief system.

As far as Black folks that practice Wicca… I believe they were looking for something that they don’t get in the prevalent faiths. Wicca is so different from coven to coven, and also can be practiced solitary; I believe this is the lure. But I’m social and I like consistency.

I do agree with what Isis said; there is much that we can learn form them, since their practices were stolen it from the Original people. Plus Wiccans are way more open to sharing their faths than other non-tradtional belief systems.

I have studied Wicca in some formal settings, but I am not, nor ever have been a Wiccan. I believe that Wicca is a cut and pasted faith. White folks have stolen a plethora of aspects from different belief systems and bastardized it to suit their needs. They make claims on it being an ancient belief system but they way they mix and blend stuff clearly lets the discerning know that it isn’t. And they claim to be open minded and they aren’t. I have interacted with several hateful Wiccans that have said cruel things about my belief system.

As far as Black folks that practice Wicca… I believe they were looking for something that they don’t get in the prevalent faiths. Wicca is so different from coven to coven, and also can be practiced solitary; I believe this is the lure. But I’m social and I like consistency.

I do agree with what Isis said; there is much that we can learn form them, since their practices were stolen it from the Original people. Plus Wiccans are way more open to sharing their faths than other non-tradtional belief systems.

CHAOS

YES WICCA IS A GUMBO FULL OF STUFF FROM DIFFERENT SYSTEM BUT FROM INTERACTING WITH SOME ESP. IN THE COVEN CAPITAL OF THE MIDWEST(COLUMBUS, OHIO)THE STUFF IS ALL CEREMONIAL WITH NO REAL POWER.

Alafia,

The Honorable Marcus Garvey once said, "A people without knowledge of their past culture, history or origin is like a tree without roots."

With that said, what I see in the Wicca phenomena is a rehashing of Europeanized names for Afrikan Ntrs with a decidely Eurocentric tone. I see it no more precise, in terms of Afrikan cosmology and philosophy, than Christianity or the Kabbala. It's funny our people can deal more with over-hyped and popularized fanciful notions of Europeanism than with the grit root of our Afrikan ancestors. Close to 70% of our ancestors came from West or Central Afrika, but more people ponder Wicca than Bakongo, Akan, Yoruba, Ewe-Fon, Ibo or other cultural groups' spiritual beliefs from those regions of Afrika. Yes, Wicca can be insightful or mind-provoking, but in respect to ancestral spiritual lineage, I don't think it can speak to the soul of Afrikan people.

Also, we speak of the "Mystery Systems" as if they no longer exist. Is it because those schools of thought do not come with the Kemetic gift-wrapping on them anymore? Kmt was composed of 42 different nations and as time progressed and invaders encroached those groups were re-established and they fled to more safer areas of inner Afrika. The Yoruba speak of Oduduwa coming from the east and there's an oral tradition claiming Oduduwa was once pharaoh. The Akan say they came south from the "sea of sand." It is my opinion that these groups, and many more, were the original inhabitants of Kmt or neighboring areas and as such, carried with them the wisdom and knowledge of ancient times. Surely, a quick perusal of their belief systems have alot or similar concepts with Kmt spiritual traditions. However, we lack this knowledge, eventhough it is there in plain view, and we search for meaning, definition and connection in traditions that have been radicalized to fit the cultural needs and worldview of people not Afrikan.
My question is: Why the search, the ancestors are there and waiting? Is Sankofa just rhetoric?

Ire-O!!!
Blackbird

No doubt about this!

Ase!
Om

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back