Black Spirituality Religion : Wicca and Witchcraft

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by ANGELIC SOUL, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ANGELIC SOUL

ANGELIC SOUL Well-Known Member MEMBER

I gotta a job while I chase my dream
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I want to know what are your feelings about African Americans practicing Wicca and/or witchcraft? I have been talking to a lot of women who are not practicing this ancient religion and seeking others of like minds.

Do you think our ancestor practiced this? If so, why? If not, Why?
    I am interested in reading your opinions.

Peace, love, and light
    Blessings

Lady Bastet

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    If I'm not mistaken, Wicca is a european spirit belief system. Particuliarly out of Greater England and Ireland. If black people did practice this system it was teachers rather than student. Probably via the moors.

3. Isis

Isis New Member MEMBER

secretary
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wiccan is just a renamed version of knowledge europeans stole from the mystery schools from our ancient african ancestors as every thing else. As you know that is there way. Now we have to be reintroduced to the teachings of our ancestors in the profane way because they are incapable of capturing the profoundness of their teachings because it is not from their kind thereby limiting their ability to conceive it's true essence and We're incapable of getting it from the profound state because of the destruction and dismaneling of all of our great ancient african ancestor knowledge and theological teachings. But you can't destroy one's DNA can you :toast: I too find wicca fascinating because it has so much of our ancient african ancestor's theololgy in it from osiris to isis the list goes on. There is a wealth of our ancient african ancestors theological teachings in this practice. It will do you well to study it.

hotep

blessed be,

isis

4. ANGELIC SOUL

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your replys

I am! and I totally agree with what you stated Isis.. totally!
    blessings and light
    Lady Bastet

5. ANGELIC SOUL

Ratings:
    +2
    true... but....

Hey, thanks for responding to this post. Wicca within itself is only 50 years old. So, yes it is a Euro-ireland-scottish,welsh system of witchcraft. However, looking at the foundation of Wicca it was taken from our ancestors and re-created. Blacks did exsist in Europe before pre slavery, Russia which also has a witchcraft sect oppossed slavery and many blacks journeyed there. I will have to find the website and book documentation if you were interested. So yes, we were there as teachers not students. And whites took back with them to their countries what they saw our ancestors practicing in Africa.

peace and blessings
    Lady Bastet

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

THis same historical dyanamic also applies to Kaballah, a system heavily borrowed from the Metu Neter. Most of which was re-discovered and taught to European Jews in Spain by our ancestors... the moors.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Alafia,

The Honorable Marcus Garvey once said, "A people without knowledge of their past culture, history or origin is like a tree without roots."

With that said, what I see in the Wicca phenomena is a rehashing of Europeanized names for Afrikan Ntrs with a decidely Eurocentric tone. I see it no more precise, in terms of Afrikan cosmology and philosophy, than Christianity or the Kabbala. It's funny our people can deal more with over-hyped and popularized fanciful notions of Europeanism than with the grit root of our Afrikan ancestors. Close to 70% of our ancestors came from West or Central Afrika, but more people ponder Wicca than Bakongo, Akan, Yoruba, Ewe-Fon, Ibo or other cultural groups' spiritual beliefs from those regions of Afrika. Yes, Wicca can be insightful or mind-provoking, but in respect to ancestral spiritual lineage, I don't think it can speak to the soul of Afrikan people.

Also, we speak of the "Mystery Systems" as if they no longer exist. Is it because those schools of thought do not come with the Kemetic gift-wrapping on them anymore? Kmt was composed of 42 different nations and as time progressed and invaders encroached those groups were re-established and they fled to more safer areas of inner Afrika. The Yoruba speak of Oduduwa coming from the east and there's an oral tradition claiming Oduduwa was once pharaoh. The Akan say they came south from the "sea of sand." It is my opinion that these groups, and many more, were the original inhabitants of Kmt or neighboring areas and as such, carried with them the wisdom and knowledge of ancient times. Surely, a quick perusal of their belief systems have alot or similar concepts with Kmt spiritual traditions. However, we lack this knowledge, eventhough it is there in plain view, and we search for meaning, definition and connection in traditions that have been radicalized to fit the cultural needs and worldview of people not Afrikan. My question is: Why the search, the ancestors are there and waiting? Is Sankofa just rhetoric?

Ire-O!!!
    Blackbird

8. ANGELIC SOUL

Ratings:
    +2
    interesting

Thank you for posting.

I just wanted to say that I agree with your point to some degree. It is true that Wicca is a direct european watered down version of african culture. I also think that african americans are embracing this "religion" because most of us, not all have no direct emotional connection to africa. Some of us seek it, some of us don't. We have been living over here far too long. I feel that we can learn from Wicca or any earth based religion. I am attracted to the Orisha, I study it, however, the Yoruba "religion" in its entirity, I do not embrace with realisim because I have no connection. I take a little of this and a little of that and make it real for me. I don't think we as african american people are wrong for identifying with a "religion" that was ours to begin with, and practicing it for various personal reasons, I know that as a people on many individual levels we are attracted to what we are attracted too and I feel it is for a reason. I think we all live many, many lives and we are not always the same race, sex or do we carry the same lifestyle in every life. I think whether we like to believe it or not, many of our souls have been all over this world living very different cultures. WE are who we are, and I think we should all remain as open minded about ALL those possibilities as possible, this way we can all learn from one another.

Thank you again!
    Blessed Be!

Lady Bastet

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820

Alafia Lady Bastet,

Thank you for your reply. Like yo, I agrre with your post to some degree. I understand the emotional separation for Afrika due to years of physical separation. Truly! Many of the concepts seem foreign and hard to assimilate because of (not really our emotional disconnection) but our mental dissolution. When we embrace Afrikan beliefs, there must be a significant change in worldview. Many practitioners still haven't come to this point. One of my favorite things concerning ATRs, in general, is the adaptibility of them. They are rigid and stale, but flexible and dynamic.

You wrote: "I think we all live many, many lives and we are not always the same race, sex or do we carry the same lifestyle in every life. I think whether we like to believe it or not, many of our souls have been all over this world living very different cultures. WE are who we are, and I think we should all remain as open minded about ALL those possibilities as possible, this way we can all learn from one another."

I think, personally, this is dangerous thought if we believe in this present incarnation Black folx were/are oppressed. Identification with all cultures sometimes clouds the mission and confounds the definition of our present identity. Oh.... I hate to sound dogmatic, but rather this is typical to many West Afrikan belief systems. There is the concept of the ancestral soul ... sie', dya, etc. Our people, in comparative theology terms, believed in the concept of multiple souls. The human being was a composite of various emanations; each with its own purpose and origin. This concept was down in spiritual DNA from one's familial ancestors. Remember the body we possess is inherited from our ancestors and it is as important as anything to you in your physical incarnations, so as such it carries its own relevancy.

I will end with my situation.... I was studying orisa, like you, a couple years back. I had been studying since 1997, but in 2002, I had a dream that my sister and I were born into Vodou. It scared me. When I woke up, I couldn't understand why I dreamt this - the orisa or mainly was my path. I paid it no mind and contnued to study orisa. Then, last year, I dreamt another Vodou dream - the lwa and names of various Afrikan ethnic groups (especially ones from Togo) were apparent. I told my girlfriend, who lived in New Orleans and she said she had just found a botanica and think they practiced Vodou. I told her to go back there and tell them of my dream. She went, told them of my dream and the owner said call. I called and he told me of a party they were having. I had to work that weekend and I couldn't take off. Spirit was moving me though and so I left to New Orleans without any thought. I attended the party and the lwa Agwe manifested. They presented me to Agwe - asking him, "did you bring him here, is he your son?" Agwe said that he did sent for me and he bring me there. Agwe told them that they MUST welcome me into their house and that I MUST BE IN THIS. I didn't choose Vodou; Vodou CHOSED me. I never once seriously studied Vodou before then.

Later, since I've been a tireless genealogist since youth and the family historian, I began re-newed in my family's story. Interviewed some surviving elders and found out, that one lineage in my family could strongly have come from the present Togo area. Spirit moves in funny ways. In Afrika, they say the spirits are in ones' blood. My story, confirmed with my detailed experiences and remarks from others, have proven to me, that no matter how long time has separated me from Afrika, the Afrikan spirits are alive within my blood.

Ase!
    Blackbird

10. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Alafia,

Forgive me of my type-Os and grammatical errors, but I was writing my previous post, all of a sudden Shango started speaking (thunder). At the party, other lwa came and amened Agwe's comments.

Having an open mind is good, but I think we can not forget our ancestors and our ancestral spiritual lineage plays a part in our spirituality. In the West, things are done in random or because we choose it to be, so we sometimes don't take into account other factors our ancestors believed play a part in things. We devalue spirit in many instances. Each person has her/his own story and tapestry that comes along with their story. Like I said, I would have never thought I would be into Vodou. Never!

Blackbird