Black People : WHO OR WHAT IS A "NICE GUY"?

SAMURAI36

BANNED
Mar 3, 2005
Bay Area
In a recent thread, a few brothers have mentioned the concept of the "nice guy", and how being one can kill a Brother's success rate with women.

As this term seems subjective to me, I would like some examples of what people think this means to/for them.

Also, to any ladies, how do you honestly feel about a "nice guy"? What, in your mind, is the alternative to being a "nice guy"?

Just looking for some info. :?:

PEACE

Nice guy has a negative connotation. Phrases like "nice guys finish last" come to mind.

I think it's really used to describe the anti-chauvinist persona and therefore can be interpreted in an extreme way. (i.e. if the alpha male is masculine, then the "nice guy"/beta male is feminine). Making the two antitheses of each other makes "nice guys" feel like punks, because they have to prove their masculinity by mistreating or devaluing women.

I have known women who outright say they want a "bad guy" because they want someone who they feel is strong. This implies the feeling of physical security, thinking the "bad guy" type is more apt to physically protecting the woman. Ironically, the way the "bad guy" views women will make him less likely to do so, even if he has such strength.

At the end of the day, I think balance is most important. All men and women have both masculine and feminine characteristics. It is simply a matter of personality and compatibility in a relationship. The view of manhood and womanhood is constantly being challenged in this society and we all look to define ourselves by it and make up for areas we feel deficient in (i.e. women who can't cook feeling inadequate, men who can't fight feeling weak, etc.).

SAMURAI36 said:
In a recent thread, a few brothers have mentioned the concept of the "nice guy", and how being one can kill a Brother's success rate with women.

As this term seems subjective to me, I would like some examples of what people think this means to/for them.

Also, to any ladies, how do you honestly feel about a "nice guy"? What, in your mind, is the alternative to being a "nice guy"?

Just looking for some info. :?:

PEACE

Brother, understand that, as you said, this is a SUBJECTIVE TERM, and therefore, not open to deep debates as to it's verity or lack thereof...

A "nice guy" to me is generally a non-assertive, people-pleasing, overly-sensitive chap whom women perceive as a door mat... His lack of assertiveness is perceived, generally and across the board, as a lack of confidence in himself... He may not feel this way, nor may many of his male and female friends and aquaintances , but a woman seeking the proto-typical Alpha male, perceives him in him a man who is lacking in confidence and self-esteem...

I think what nice guys miscalculate about women is that they want a guy to be nice and sensitive ALL the time... Simply put, this is not so... Women want a man to be a man, to evince all of her perceived notions of what a man and being manly is, and sometimes that's very macho... Are they going to admit this to your face, or depend on you to figure it all out??? The latter rather than the former is a good bet...

My simple advice to a nice guy is don't be so quick to deliver the goods when asked all the time... Say no, and sometimes HELL NO! Stand on your feet like a man, and command her respect... I didn't say DEMAND, I said COMMAND her respect... Women appreciate that, as do men... It is like sometimes, I don't mind a women being the proverbial Queen B. when she feels she needs to be that... This aint the Garden of Eden we're living in, this is the real world... If I, as a man, don't deliver like a man should, then sister wants to scream on me, then I perceive that she is not a woman who's gone put up with just whatever I put out, for better or worse... You want to be with someone who is not a doormat... If you do, then you got power and control issues, and that's another topic(smile!)

Women want a man to be a man, not a nice guy... To Women, in their infinite wisdom, Nice Guys don't make great husbands, but they do make a helluva doormat... Therefore, when they can use a nice guy's energy instead of their husbands or boyfriends, better to conserve the energy of those two for more intimate purposes...(smile!) JMHO

Peace!
Isaiah

SAMURAI36 said:
Interesting perspective; one I'm very inclined to agree with.

So then, my question is: since this concept stinks of Europeanism, how does, or even should, this play out for Black people?

I think it starts with just what you said, recognizing that this is a Eurocentric view and one we do not have to adopt. Just that knowledge alone is freeing.

I think it is difficult, because balance is hard to achieve in our society. I do believe that women can become too masculine, though, which can stifle a man's "manhood" (if that makes any sense). I say to each his/her own, and find a person that is right for you. The two of you will have to work out whatever misperceptions or agreements you will come to regarding the roles you will play in the relationship. It takes two strong people that will live their lives in a healthy way that makes them happy, regardless of what the dominant society thinks about it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back