Black People : Where is the respect of our youth?

Girl I feel old as hell sometimes. I got that big 30 coming up lol. Working with kids in juvenille detention takes a lot of patience, how do you do it?

LOL I'm almost 30 too.

I used to be one of those kids who used to be in juvey all the time...I can relate...Those kids brought patience out of me and working with Special Needs children brought extreme patience....Working with kids in general brought patience outta me...

I always laugh when I hear people saying things about how kids are so bad now of days...They're are actually great once you sit and listen to them...And a lot of them have so many talents that these older people will never see because they are so busy finding negative things about them.

When you tell a child that they are bad, they believe it...then they act on it.

I was never a bad kid growing up...deep down I cared about things and what not, but I was told I was bad and so I believed what I heard so I did more bad things...but as I got older I realized I, myself, wasn't bad, I just did bad things...things that I could stop.

Children are sponges and they retain so much and sometimes they need to be hugged so that way they can release some of that negative crap that's been building up inside of them...And a hug might not be necessarily a hug, it could just be listening to them.

They don't want someone to be like, "have some respect!" Cause I know if I was younger I'd probably given you the finger, just saying...

This is a different age, they have different issues they deal with then those who are much older...two different spectrums and perceptions of life will never understand each other...So you have to go about getting into their mind with a different approach.

And another thing...We can always blame the parents but sometimes it's not the parents fault...

My parent's are good people and always have been...it was ultimately my decision to act out on my bad choices as a youth...I don't blame them for me getting kicked out of school, I don't blame them for me running away, I don't blame them for me getting locked up, I don't blame them for the drugs I did, and I don't blame them for the fights that I got into too...That was all ME and my decision...

85% of a child's life is spent in school...Their main influences in life will be from their peers...most of the stuff that they learn will be from their friends, the choices in clothing, music, attitude, etc...

As a parent you can do and be the best parent that you can be, but at the end of the day when your child walks out that door everything is going to be their decision.

Before the conspiracy of integrated-but not equal, we as youth both in the North and the South knew respect and dignity, like we know how to brush our teeth and take a showe in the morning, and according to the oral traditions of the Fulani, Wolof, Mandinka, Ibo, Ga and Dogon;
respect for elders and the peer group above ones age was a tradition and second nature,
for over 20.000 years, only broken by a brief period of 400 years

the point now is do we desire to enter into the future with the nihilistic, non cultural ways of modern day (anti- culture) anything goes- do your own thing, or re-embrace, what is best in our own African culture.

Here in the BK and Do or Die Bed Stuy, even the Crips and Bloods; say pardon me and excuse me to grown folks, now things may be dif; in Brownsville, and Sutphin Blvd Queens

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back