Black People : Where's Our Respect?!!!

NADIA*BINTA

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 27, 2003
SUNSHINE ST
Collars cut way down low, showing cleavage and breast, win preference over tunics and shirts with turtlenecks. Skirts that once drug the ground in dirt, inched upward bound plenty to mini and micro-minis. Swimwear once resembling capris and a slight halter, now altered to what society calls a bikini.
Oh, how our fashion statements have changed over time and needless to guess the pattern of dress is less and less. Watching television day in, day out, I wonder what this lack of clothing is all about. Sexy figures in videos, on talk shows, in magazines, on movie screens, pretty much everywhere and in everything there's a flood of sexuality.
QUESTION:...am I unsexy if I don't let society dress me in a remnant of fabric?
Dressing for the day ahead, I put on jeans, a shirt with 3/4 sleeves, and a hair wrap, covering my adornments instead. With each outer garment in its place, I wonder what's the difference between a bikini and underwear?
Out the door, I wonder some more about this trend as I watch the people around me, billboards on high, and advertisements on buses passing by. SEX SELLS! Doesn't matter if the act is literally fulfilled or if simply for the eyes' appeal. Doesn't matter if the product is shampoo, rice, speakers or jeans, oft time it seems there's eye candy thrown into the picture, as if the woman or sexual fantasy is included in the package!
As a woman, there is struggle enough having my voice and issues taken seriously if covered from head to toe. So if I have on a shirt revealing 3/4 of my top while engaging in conversation with the opposite sex, is he more interested in what's on my mind, coming from my mouth OR what's about to pop out my top? Where's my respect if all he sees is my chest?
Sistahs, are we truly liberated or oppressed? Could it be we're caught is a web of chains, from SEXISM and EXPLOITATION, yet completely unaware? WHERE'S OUR RESPECT?!!!
A nation can rise no higher than its woman, for through our wombs we bring forth all nations. Thus, we are the MOTHERS OF CIVILIZATION. We serve as the first teachers and moral guide to our children, but what jewels are we instilling, especially within our daughters? Keep in mind they are watching the examples we set.
It's vital we define, attain and maintain our respect in all endeavors and walks of life (SOCIALLY, POLITICALLY, RELIGIOUSLY, etc) letting noone neglect the respect that's due.

peace, love & RESPECT
NADIA*BINTA

welcome !!!

welcome to destee's family of love
nice topic where is the respect ......
u said it loud & clear defined it so well
indeed so many have been lost in the myth of what they see
or hear and lost true contact on respect for them self and others
welcome again :)

True Identity ...

now there's a topic ... "True Identity".

How does one obtain "True Identity"? Is it something that is bestowed upon birth? Is it something that is obtained with age/experience? Is it something that is taught? Does True Identity contain any biases or personal perceptions?

I would love to hear your perception of what True Identity is to you and what do you think are the factors that have eroded this precious commodity from us, and how/what you think we could do to restore it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back