Africa : What Do You Call A Person (African) From *Alkebu-lan*???

nibs said:
it's claimed that "ta meri" or "meri-ta", the blessed land, actually apply to the entirety of africa as a continent, and not simply the nile valley. so "merita" or "ta meri" might be an adequate alternative.
Who is this claimed by and during what historic period? In which historial texts is this written?

edit:
(OmowaleX) - Who is this claimed by and during what historic period? In which historial texts is this written?

i don't have a historical document claiming the entire continent should be called africa. therefore, i do not know the basis for those claims.

i do not object to calling all of africa "merita" however. or using ra nehem's "afuraka" for that matter.

nibs said:
edit:
(OmowaleX) - Who is this claimed by and during what historic period? In which historial texts is this written?

i don't have a historical document claiming the entire continent should be called africa. therefore, i do not know the basis for those claims.

i do not object to calling all of africa "merita" however. or using ra nehem's "afuraka" for that matter.

The term Ra Nehem uses is obviously closer to "AfriKa" than "ta-Meri".

Now if you state that "i do not know the basis for those claims" you should be able to provide some source from some written text because anyone can claim anything to be true but does not make it so.

I only ask this because prior to the 20th century I have not found any AFRICAN sources using the terms Alkebulan or Ta-Merri to describe the entire continent and must conclude this is a recent invention.

In fact, I think brother imhotep have already broken this down as well. You see, it was only due to the Pan Africanist movement of the last century where an "African" consciousness developed as previously "Africans" were largely HETEROGENEOUS groups which were culturally diverse and distinct but since colonialism have been classified as if they are one people. Idealistic as this may be, skin color is proving not to be a sufficient basis for unity and common identity and this is one thing Diop attempted to address in The Cultural Unity of Black Africa.

(OmowaleX) - The term Ra Nehem uses is obviously closer to "AfriKa" than "ta-Meri".

ra nehem's term means "souls of the flesh of ra"
"ta meri" means "the blessed land"

either of those definitions are acceptable to me. a name means something. i agree with both of those meanings.

(OmowaleX) - Now if you state that "i do not know the basis for those claims" you should be able to provide some source from some written text because anyone can claim anything to be true but does not make it so.

your suspicion is correct. the earth center uses "merita" but i do not know the source that usage is based on.

http://theearthcenter.com/index.php?title=home/merita

as i understand the meaning of the phrase, i don't have a problem with the usage. however, it may not be historically accurate; and a recent development; as you point out...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back