Black History Culture : What Do You Call A Person (African) From *Alkebu-lan*???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by ShemsiEnTehuti, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    For those who do not know, "Alkebu-lan" is the oldest name for the land we now call Africa. It was used by Nile Valley Africans, especially the Upper Nile (Nubia) and present-day Ethiopia. FYI, the name "Africa" is Greek, and was not a name given to it by Africans.

So what do you call a person from Akebulan? Alkebulanian? Alkebulani? Alkebu?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to make a conscious effort to stop using the word "Africa" if possible. Your views are appreciated, especially if their are any East or Northeast Africans who might have some idea of the etymology and/or a proper use. Hotep...

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Again, this has been raised before and I must again use a source from the AKAN, which has been recently posted.

http://www.odwirafo.com/AFURAKA-AFURAITKAIT.html

3. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
  4. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Do plan on refering to the whole of Africa as Alkebulan? Northwest Africa was called Alkebu-lan by it's habitants and inner Africa was called 'Af-Rui-Ka' by ancient Egptians. The Roman latinize 'Af-Rui-Ka' to Africa....what exactly is your purpose here???

5. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    The sources I have read have stated that the word Al-Kebu-lan is from Swahili, so what "Northwest Africa" language is this referening?

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Isn't Swahilli derived from the Bantu language? and dosen't the Bantu language originate from West Africa?...Some linguits assert that Swahilli is a mixture of Arab and Bantu..and some argue against it...but that's beside the point...Africa already has it's problems..tribal wars, corruption..e.t.c a name change will just be another reason for more conflict.....I understand some Africans use Alkebu-lan to describe themselves..that's good; but i don't think the whole of Africa will agree to it.

Btw isn't Jabali Swahilli for "Rock" so why did state in our earlier thread that it is from AKAN...uhmmm but what do i know, I'm just 'claiming African' i don't know anything about my own people and thier history...I'll leave it to the 3 'American' experts on this site to school me.

7. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    I did NOT state that my last name is from AKAN. Please dont put words in my mouth. I asked you a specific question. Where in NorthWEST Africa is Swahili spoken, and my who?

Im not trying to school you Im asking a direct question. I know swahili is spoken in some NorthEAST African countries such as Kenya but I am not familiar with it "originating" in North WEST Africa.

8. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Alke-bulan is not Swahilli that's just speculation...Black scholars like Dr. Ben are humbly enough to admit they are not sure of it's origin....some say Alke-bulan is kemetian, some say Arab, some say swahilli.....i don't know...if Swahilli is a mixture of Arab and Bantu is it not safe to conclude that it's origin is from NorthWest Africa?..

And you did say that your name is AKAN, i know your are not talking about Omowale; that is yoruba and I speak yoruba...that is why i assumed you were talking about the last part Jabali....

9. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

I did NOT state that my name is AKAN.

Jabali is a SWAHILI name!

*smh*

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    What exactly is 'smh'? i sure hope is not another one of your insults.....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Who are Alkebulanians and whats their history